z

Young Writers Society

Help needed!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Prologues aren't infodumps, though. That's the thing. They're introductory short stories.

People don't need to have those details explained to them in a lot of cases, unless they are absolutely immediately plot critical and you have no other way of getting it in.

The prime example I have of this is Beauty and the Beast. The stained glass in that movie is a brilliant example of a prologue that adds to the story. It does a few things right:

1- It is a self contained story. This is important to remember because prologues that seamlessly continue into chapter 1 should be chapter 1s. Prologues should have a beginning, a middle and an end, with no threads left hanging so far you're unsatisfied.

In Beauty and the Beast, the final line of "Who could ever learn to love a beast?" is just that: final. You could stop at the stained glass and have a short story.

2- They are interesting and have immediate relevance to the plot. As soon as we see Belle in the main movie, we know who's going to learn to love a beast. We don't know how or why or even how they meet, which is where the suspense that draws the plot forward comes from.

Prologues tend to provide a major spoiler for the rest of the series, so you have to show how the rest of the series ties in.

3- They have plot critical information you absolutely positively cannot get in the story elsewhere. Most information I see in prologues can be fit in the story later, because it's backstory that'll come up anyway. With Beauty and the Beast, this information won't come up because of how out of character it'd be to have them talk about it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue May 13, 2014 4:58 am
DrFeelGood says...

@Rosey%20Unicorn

Thanks for the detailed response. I have already written the prologue and it looks perfect for my story [Though I will rewrite it again] Fortunately for my story, prologue won't be a spoiler because the story moves ahead post the prologue and there's a dramatic twist in it.

Also my first chapter and prologue have no connection because the story opens up dramatically in the prologue followed by a flashback narration and a dramatic end. Your ideas are really good! Thanks for the response again :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 pm
Rosendorn says...

Ah, but. Even if it isn't a complete spoiler, it's still a partial spoiler. People will know that the prologue reveals something about the story later on, and the trick is to keep their attention despite that.

It's basically like writing a book with people knowing one of the major plot points. You have to have enough other interesting things in the story to keep people interested.

Also one of my biggest pet peeves is opening with a flashback. If the backstory is so important that we need to know it right now, why didn't you start there and keep constant forward momentum? A flashback at the beginning is like putting on the breaks right when people are trying to start the car. For me, they do not work at all.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Tue May 13, 2014 6:45 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Hey,

I'm not sure but this sounds very similar to a favorite book of mine. It's called The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Very good book about a thief who is exceptionally clever/witty who basically becomes a legend. The POV switches from third person (in present day) to first person (which is when he is telling his highly dramatic story to 2 other people).

I'd give the book a look over as it might help you. :)

Also, the book has a prologue that basically gives away the fact that he is nothing special now (I won't go into too much detail) which is honestly perfect because as you read through his story (he is telling to the others) it makes you wonder "What happened that finally broke him to what he is now?"

Now I personally don't care TOO much for prologue, but if done well I LOVE it. So I say keep it, but make it great! :)

Great book and I think it will help to possibly perfect your prologue and give you some helpful tips on what to do, especially if you are wondering how to actually write it (It's great for helping you see what tense to write it in and what narrative).

Hope I helped
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed May 14, 2014 4:51 am
DrFeelGood says...

@Rosey%20Unicorn

I liked your points and ideas about the spoilers a prologue gives. I would love to hear your opinion on my story. The prologue starts with a man being arrested by a constable. The police officers [Being a satire I have added bizarre descriptions] and the thief engage in a conversation and the thief narrates his story to the officer.

The first chapter starts on a completely different note and the story follows life of a middle class engineer who turned into a thief to save the orphanage where he grew up... [I thought that a dramatic prologue could engage the readers. That's one of the prime reasons to add a prologue. (The pace of first five chapters is quite slow, but the prologue is quite dramatic and fast-paced)

@WhiteTiger93

Thanks for the reply! Actually my story is not about a thief. It is about the situation and ambience which forces a good-hearted man to become a thief. It is more of a satirical take on human behaviour and judiciary. I read the brief synopsis of your favourite book and there are few common points in the story so that'll surely help me. Thank You :)

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour