z

Young Writers Society

Music and story-writing

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm
DeepCrystal says...

Does anybody feel that music helps inspire their writing, or when you read something is there any music to it that while nonexistent, is somehow present? When I read or write I either listen to music to help set the atmosphere or the atmosphere that I get from reading creates music in my mind. What music do any of you listen to or feel when you read or write?

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:59 pm
Craz says...

Music does help me write. But this belongs in the forums tab, not Storybooks.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:24 pm
DeepCrystal says...

Craz wrote:Music does help me write. But this belongs in the forums tab, not Storybooks.

Great. Now I feel like an idiot.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:35 pm
Craz says...

Haha that's quite alright. To delete this thread, you'll have to get in touch with a mod, or someone whose username is not dark blue like yours and mine. They'll be able to delete this for you, to the best of my knowledge. Then you can re-post this in the Forums Tab located where all of the other Tabs are, and this would fit best under the Writer's Corner.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 pm
crossroads says...

Moved it for you, @DeepCrystal ;)
It's no big deal, really, feel free to contact someone in green if you ever accidentally post in wrong section or see some post which you think doesn't belong where it is, we'll fix it ^^

On topic, I listen to music too, although I've read quite a few articles about why it's a bad thing xD More so, I practically don't even listen to music which I can't imagine a scene with. *very writing-centered*

I believe @Snoink is right in her post here; it's okay to listen to music while writing if it gets you in the mood or helps with your flow or whatever, but it's a pretty good advice to always edit in silence - that way, you can be sure you'll see the scenes the way they are, and feel them the way they are, without the music having any impact on it (especially seeing as you can't be sure all your readers will be listening to the same music while reading your story/poem/chapter) :3
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:41 am
Tenyo says...

The sound of a quill scraping against a piece of parchment is the only music I ever long to hear.

But for serious though. The thing I really like about music is that it helps me to relax more than anything. Without it I tend to stop writing and start again and stop and start, but if I have a half hour playlist going then keep writing until the playlist stops.

If I do, it's usually something without lyrics.

Music while planning, however, is something I couldn't do without. By having a constantly changing theme and genre in the background it helps to switch my mindset from one thing to another so I can actually develop my ideas instead of getting hung up on the same thought.
We were born to be amazing.

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:26 am
Snowery says...

I really like listening to music as I write. I find that it helps to set a mood. I especially listen to things that match the story or scene that I'm writing. I find that it also helps me to get into "bubble" where it's just me and my story. :)
The World Is Mine.

You can not put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator.
— alliyah