z

Young Writers Society

Short Novel Ideas

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 am
Snowery says...

Okay so uni is starting soon and I think it would be the best time for me to start writing a novel. The thing is I've never actually finished one so my plan is to start writing really short novels and work my way up to longer ones. So anyone have ideas for a short (as in really short :P ) novel? I was thinking of doing a Bluebeard fanfic but I'd like other ideas too. Thanks!! :) :D
The World Is Mine.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:09 am
Iggy says...

Do you have anything you specifically want to write, or something you would not like to write?
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:59 am
Tenyo says...

This is a great idea!

I did this too when I found that staring at a list of unfinished works was crippling my confidence. I started writing things that I could finish in a few hours, and being able to finish something, and have a folder of "Finished Projects" that isn't full of tumbleweeds gives a real boost of motivation.

How short is 'Really Short?' I'd recommend starting with short stories of 6k and over, since this gives you the space to fully develop a basic plot and its characters, and it'll push you enough to feel the effect of it.

Now, what could you write...?

You could write new versions of old fairy tales and myths, but add your own twist. Like, what if Sleeping Beauty used a decoy who would get their finger pricked on the spindle, and then the whole palace pretended to fall asleep so that the evil fairy would leave them alone? Or what if Snow White had fallen in love with one of the dwarves?

Take real memories and change the genre, location or time. You'd be surprised how many first time authors base their novel on a parody of their own lives. You could imagine the first time you got a detention and put it in the context of a sci-fi horror, where your body would be cryogenically frozen but your mind awake the whole time, until your teachers determined you had developed a stronger conscience.

If you want to tie them together you could have a series of episodes, like a lot of webcomics where they have the same set of unique and peculiar characters doing every day things that always end up far from what they expected.
We were born to be amazing.

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:00 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

@Iggy ummm I'll write anything except sci-fi or something completely obscure like talikng pasta :P

@Tenyo thanks for all of your advice! Now I have a word limit to aim for :) I'm thinking of retelling the fairytale of Bluebeard.
The World Is Mine.

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec