z

Young Writers Society

The best books ever!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 am
Holysocks says...

I'm making a list of books for the next time I go to the Library, because I'm tired of picking out duds, and I'm wondering what you guys like to read. Call it an experiment, if you like.
:shock: So, what's your favorite book/book series/books?
100% autistic

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:31 am
View Likes
PiesAreSquared says...

The "A song of Ice and Fire" series is pretty good. Try some. Sir Doyle's works. What kind of books are you looking for anyway? There are way too many duds in a library, especially with all the new books. I tend not to read newer books unless the author is really good and I've read a previous work from older or it has been recommended. The only other way I read books by unknown authors is if they are part of a larger universe, like the Star Wars collaborations.
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 am
TaciturnPhantom says...

"Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami and "Misery" by Stephen King.
My favourite colour is black.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:43 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

Series:

"The legend of Drizzt" is famous among D&D fans

"The Mortal Instruments" popular for girls and somewhat interesting.

"His Dark Materials" required reading for anyone who is a fantasy buff

"Dune" A compelling read that used to be very popular, a tad dated in places but still very good.

"THE HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY" Everything in it is quotable, its amazing.

"Inkheart" Well composed and a worthy read. However I forget the series name so I gave the first books name.

"Artemus Fowl" A wonderful book lineup that I like but for some reason nobody likes nearly as much as I do....

"Children of the Lamp" A nice children book with a very creative world.

"A Series of Unfortunate Events" I used to read this series over and over again.

"The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" A fun read on magic

"Xanth series" Absolutely love these books....but they are a bit adult (references and implications and perverted jokes is all it is but still) so I don't know if you should be reading them....but I love that pun filled series.

"The Foundation Trilogy" Like the title it literately has become a popular reference point for some well known sci-fi writers, might be worth anyone reading it at least once.

"Chronicles of Narnia" Everyone is expected to read this.

One hit wonders:

"The Last Book in the Universe" A personal favorite sci-fi about a future where the world is falling into ruins and to run away half the population are plugged into virtual entertainment, ruining their minds.

"Dragon Rider" It's a VERY good children book written by the same person who wrote inkheart.

"Jurassic Park" (sort of like the movies only the first was good) Worth the read.

"The City of Ember" meh but people like it.

--------------------

Now after that there is a book I am trying to re-find that I forget the name of, so I shall say all that I remember:

The main character is a albino boy who loves to dig, spending most of his free time underground, interested in the world of his archeologist father and all that. At one point a strange discovery is made by his father a lamp, a light-source that seemed alien, brighter in the dark without any source of energy, a strange pure light glowing at its dark center.The discovery seems to have come with consequences however as, shortly after the boys father disappears. Then to add on to the question the boy and a new friend of his discover that the tunnel they had worked so hard on had caved in, determined to keep going he digs it out...to discover a whole city, and that he might not be who he thought he was.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:57 am
devigonewild says...

You should try reading 'the Mortal Instruments' series about demons, angels and forbidden love, or 'The Infernal Devices' trilogy by the same author but based around a different time.
If you enjoy reading dystopian novels like 'The Hunger Games', try another dystopian trilogy 'Divergent' which is going to be a hit movie coming out soon, by the looks of it. Also try 'the Maze Runner' series by James Dashner, also to be a movie in September.
'The Fault in our Stars' if you haven't read it already! Or anything by John Green, he will make you laugh and cry and read the book again. And again, and again.
Also, I'm really, really interested in 'Teardrop' by Lauren Kate, or her series about fallen angels 'Fallen', 'Torment', 'Passion' and 'Rapture'.
Yeah, that's all I can think of at the moment! If you read them, tell me what you think!

{{ - devi - }}
[ hey guys, I'm wild. ]

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:42 pm
lostthought says...

Zolen the book is called Tunnels, Inkheart, Inkheart series I think.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

110 Reviews

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:12 pm
Zolen says...

@lostthought Thank you, you're right, I have been trying for a month now to remember the name! :D

Yes I also suggest the tunnels series.

494 Reviews

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:16 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Oh, wow! Thanks everyone ( that's a lot of books @Zolen, I'll be busy for months! 8) )! I'm super looking forward to reading these!

ZLYF wrote:The "A song of Ice and Fire" series is pretty good. Try some. Sir Doyle's works. What kind of books are you looking for anyway? There are way too many duds in a library, especially with all the new books. I tend not to read newer books unless the author is really good and I've read a previous work from older or it has been recommended. The only other way I read books by unknown authors is if they are part of a larger universe, like the Star Wars collaborations.

@ZLYF I'm not looking for any kind of books, other than good books... After that it's up to you! Let me clarify; I want books that you think are good. Not ones that you think I'd like too much, cause I'm curious now. :-D

Now if it's alright with you guys, I'd like to talk to you about your books when I finish them... just for fun, I supose. ( That goes for you too @devigonewild! )
100% autistic

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:26 pm
horrendous says...

"The Gunslinger by Stephen King. it's the first book in a seven book series called The Dark Tower.

it's just the greatest f'n thing i ever did read.
hor·ren·dous
adjective: shockingly dreadful; horrible
synonyms: appalling, frightful, hideous

--

Life is like a box of chocolates. Too much will make you sick.

110 Reviews

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:18 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

first has 3 books that I know of

second 5

third 3

fourth like thousands of books

ffth 5

sixth 3

seventh 8

eight 7

nine 13 (small books so two is worth is about as big as 1 of the others)

ten 6

eleven 7

twelve 7

tunnels is a 7 book series I think (only ever read the first, I plan to start up on it)

then 4 singles

That means I suggested

Hm, calculator says I suggested 78 books.....yay!

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:27 am
Rook says...

This is the complete collection of books I recommend.
'll asterisk the ones I recommend, double asterisk the ones I double recommend, triple asterisk the ones you really need to read, and I'll percentage-sign the ones I didn't like. I'll leave the ones I don't remember (but I remember I read it) blank, and the ones I was only so-so on blank as well. If you're looking for good books, I suggest taking use of ctrl+f.

blog/fortis/something_really_impossible_b-59204.html

OH AND YOU MUST READ "THE NAME OF THE WIND" THIS IS NOT AN OPTIONAL THING. :pirate2:
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

133 Reviews

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:54 am
PiesAreSquared says...

@Holysocks, i don't know, I think those books were good, especially the vivid scenic descriptions. I was just expressing my disgust at the amount of duds in the library in modern times. :(

@fortis, I'll take up your list too to fill my time. MUHAHAHAHA
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

494 Reviews

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 am
Holysocks says...

Thanks @horrendous! - I think sometime I'm just going to get a whole pile of Stephen King novels! XD

@fortis, awesome... I love 'must read books'!

@ZLYF I know what you mean about the duds! It bothers me that I come out of the library with 5 books, and only one of them is readable! XD
Also, I couldn't find 'A Song of Ice and Fire' but I'm going to keep looking!

78 books, @Zolen, are you trying to kill me?! XD That's awesome! I looked up a few of them, got one titled 'His Dark Materials' forgeting that the one you suggested was a series! So, now I have a book from the library, that just talks about the series.
*face palms* Only me.

I have some other books on hold now, so hopefully soon I can start em!
100% autistic

133 Reviews

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:56 am
PiesAreSquared says...

@Holysocks, that's probably because that's the name of the entire series. Try looking for each book in turn starting with "A Game of Thrones"

I used to be ZLYF

494 Reviews

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:21 pm
Holysocks says...

Aw, I see... thanks @ZLYF! XD
100% autistic

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office