z

Young Writers Society

Ask the Girl with the Golden Pen

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm
LadySpark says...

Time for new questions! Do you have any writing questions?
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm
View Likes
MagnusBane says...

How do you include multiple plots and subplots in a novel without confusing and overwhelming the reader? There's a lot going on in my novel, and I'm afraid that it's just too much.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 am
Sapi says...

Dear Girl With the Golden Pen,

I feel uneducated. This is such a tiny question, buuuuuut it does have a lot to do with YWS. So. Ahem. How do I "mention" people?

Many thanks.
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:13 pm
View Likes
therealme says...

Oh wise, golden-penned girl,

I keep on thinking that my paragraphing for my stories/articles is wrong and that I'm creating new paragraphs in the wrong places. Is it possible for you to enlighten me with your knowledge and help me understand where and when to create paragraphs?
"It is our Light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:01 am
AnonymousPerson says...

The Golden Penned Girl,
I'm just starting out writing and would like some advice, I know the basics (pretty much) but still have a lot to learn. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-Anon
I always feel like I'm flying, then I hit the ground.

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:52 pm
Willard says...

Dear Golden Penned Girl;
It's me, Margaret.

If I wanted to become a big shot in the YA book department, should I make my book about a dystopia with a corrupt government or it's about the bond between a normal Joe and a girl who has cancer?

Thanks!

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:32 am
ChrisCalaid says...

Hi
I have few questions about "Squill". What kind of article are you suppose to write about to become part of it? What will I be doing if I am part of "Squill"?

125 Reviews

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:34 am
ChrisCalaid says...

Hi
How are you suppose to wirte peom short, but with decribtive explanation?

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Hi @ChrisDixon! This thread hasn't been active for a while. I'll answer your questions here, but if you have any YWS-related questions in the future, feel free to ask them here.

With regards to questions related to craft, there are a lot of options:
Writing Tips
Knowledge Base <- for a wealth of resource articles
Poetry Discussion
Fiction Discussion

On the topic of Squills -> you can check out the openings available with Squills by reading the latest issue (here) and sending a PM to SquillsBot to ask questions/apply. The types of articles depend on the type of column you're writing. Squills reporters prepare their articles for the upcoming issue and generally provide a great resource and a fun read for other members of the website!

On the topic of poetry craft, specific to your question -> people might vary on the advice they give for your question because I think it's a subjective topic. I think that imagery is key when you're trying to write a short poem but be descriptive at the same time. You might want to check out this article about imagery in poetry and maybe this one about specificity in poetry.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to post in the the places I linked above. You can also reach out to one of us moderators, too! :) Hope this was a little helpful.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

125 Reviews

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:52 am
ChrisCalaid says...

Thank yoy

Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening