z

Young Writers Society

Why so much Twilight hate?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:48 am
View Likes
EnchantedPanda says...

I don't hate Twilight. At the time of it's release everyone was obsessed with Twilight and Twilight was literally all anyone talked about. Eventually I decided to read the series for myself, I managed to read the whole series but I didn't understand at all what all the fuss was really about and decided never to read it again.

Not to mention that when I watched Up I actually cried at the first part and at the end as well! Such a sweet movie! :D

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
View Likes
MasterGrieves says...

DreamingForever wrote:I don't hate Twilight. At the time of it's release everyone was obsessed with Twilight and Twilight was literally all anyone talked about. Eventually I decided to read the series for myself, I managed to read the whole series but I didn't understand at all what all the fuss was really about and decided never to read it again.

Not to mention that when I watched Up I actually cried at the first part and at the end as well! Such a sweet movie! :D

Same here. It's just the hype.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

Reviews: 1
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 pm
View Likes
Ardensfax says...

I must confess, I've always found Twilight to be something of a punching bag for the internet, much like Justin Bieber, or to a lesser degree, Nickelback.

I have read the books myself, mostly out of curiosity, and they struck me as passable. A bit over-descriptive, if anything. Oh, and they contain the word 'handsomer'. I swear my eye twitched when I read that. I don't know about it's grammatical legitimacy in American English, but it just sounded so painfully horrible.
Happiness ain't at the end of the road.
Happiness is the road.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 pm
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Ardensfax wrote:I must confess, I've always found Twilight to be something of a punching bag for the internet, much like Justin Bieber, or to a lesser degree, Nickelback.

I have read the books myself, mostly out of curiosity, and they struck me as passable. A bit over-descriptive, if anything. Oh, and they contain the word 'handsomer'. I swear my eye twitched when I read that. I don't know about it's grammatical legitimacy in American English, but it just sounded so painfully horrible.

Handsomer is not a word in American English hahaha.
Live, Love, Laugh

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:13 am
View Likes
Taxi says...

I dislike Twilight. I didn't automatically; I was aware of all the hate, but I actually watched the first movie alongside my cousins, after hearing it was a vampire movie... but what I got wasn't much of a vampire movie. Or a movie.
Okay, that's going a bit too far. It's a movie, just, a very bad one in my opinion. Anyway, I ended up watching the other movies via Rifftrax.

Eventually I entered a discussion about Twilight on a forum and I politely said I disliked it and that I've seen the movies. I was then told that my opinion is invalid because I haven't read the books.

So I read the first book. My dislike for the franchise grew three sizes that day.

Also, Up is an amazing movie. The introduction was such a tearjerker. ;_;
Last edited by Taxi on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am
Pilot says...

I actually was a hater, until I watched it on FX. It was on so I said, "Hey I'm gonna watch it so I have stuff to use against the obsessors in my school." Turns out, I really liked it and now I want to see the next one... whatever it's called.
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:42 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I read Twilight when it first came out (I was in 8th grade) and absolutely loved it. I was a complete Twihard and screamed and freaked out over the release of the rest of the series. All of that ended when the movie came out because, lets be real here, it sucked. I tried to re-read Twilight over winter break this last year and couldn't finish because it simply no longer fit my tastes.

I don't hate Twilight, I just think it's a bit of a joke at this point and I don't quite understand why I loved it so much for so long because the things I loved about it are just really not there. For example, I thought Edward was it. Like give me this man. Now that I've experienced real love, I know I would never in a million years want someone like Edward. He's super weird (watching her while she sleeps....), way way way too moody, and controlling to the point that he's almost abusive.

I think another big problem with it is that it's completely unrealistic. Aside from sparkling, vegetarian vampires, the way the love story worked out would never happen. He hated her then he loved her then he left her then he loved her then she wasn't allowed to be with anyone else because he loved her and then they lived happily ever after. She was interested even though he was a complete tool then she loved him because he loved her and then she fell into the most unrealistic state of depression ever after he left her and then she immediately loved him again and took him back and then they lived happily ever after. That. would. never. happen. And obviously it's fiction so it doesn't have to be completely realistic, that's part of the charm, but I found it kind of annoying.

Someone earlier said that originally it was an interesting, unique plot and then she just went a little overboard and lost it and I completely agree. I thought Breaking Dawn was terrible. Even in my crazed Twilight phase, I was never that gaga over it. The two biggest problems with it are 1. That the entire book preps you for an epic battle where people die that never happened. 2. Everyone won. There were no losers.

But somethings needs to be said for what Stephenie Meyer was able to create here because not many books or series are able to achieve the amount of celebrity these books have achieved. Also, I think a big part of the "Twilight hate" comes from people that aren't the target audience of these books so naturally these people are going to have only bad things to say about them. I loved these books when I was in middle school and early high school. I stopped loving them after about my sophomore year because I discovered other books that spoke to me and that I enjoyed much more. Younger audiences can still love these books and that's great for them. Older audiences can spend their time poking fun or they can seek out books they actually enjoy.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm
TyrantOfWar says...

I hate Twilight because they made Vampires these not so scary. They used to be scary but now people think of gothic vampires that can, somehow restrain themselves. If anyone has seen Blade, those are the type of vamps I prefer. Also the werewolves are just as stupid.

ToW
TyrantofWar
I want to see you choke on your lies,
Swallow up your greed,
Suffer all alone in your misery.

My Life Story:
Lies Greed Misery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dq9q6afIP8

Reviews: 3
Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:55 pm
NicholasStone says...

I hate Twilight because it's just plain stupid. End of story. And, like Tyrant said, they ruined Vampires and Werewolves.
He stumbled slightly, the limp in his leg still there. He dared not to look at the place he used to call home. He could feel the heat from the fire, the fire that he himself had ignited. He blinked back tears, as he limped away.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:09 am
babyjanesplicer says...

Goodness, This reply is going to be short since I'm new and yeah...I'm new >:]
The reason I hate The Twilight Saga is because in my opinion they ruined vampires. Again what has been said in previous posts she had done very little research in vampire and werewolves. In all the vampire books, fanfictions and manga all Vampires have one thing in common: They HAVE to drink blood. They either combust or weaken in the sunlight They do not sparkle... And the last thing. Darren, Mr Crepsley, Alucard, Count Dracula, etc. WEREN'T PATHETIC MARY SUES WHO COULD DO EVERYTHING!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm
Stori says...

I neither hate nor love the series- it's simply another franchise. Having said that, I was raised as a Christian and so try to steer away from anything to do with the undead.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 pm
RacheDrache says...

Bouncing off what Snoink said, Up told a better love story in 8 minutes, without a single line of dialogue, than almost any other book or movie I can think of, especially given the '8 minutes' fact. You could easily slip Titanic or countless chick flicks or romances into that 'Twilight' spot.

As for the particular Twilight hate... I am a reformed rabid Twilight hater and now settle for civilized dislike. Part of that is I no longer have to hear girls bemoaning the lack of Edward in their lives since graduating high school, part of it is that hating any book except The Scarlet Letter feels sacrilegious to me (oh, irony), and part of it is because I'd rather direct that energy toward solving the problem instead of anti-fanning at a symptom.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:26 pm
Audy says...

When I read the topic, I interpreted the question as "Why are there so many Twilight-haters" - rather than "what are some of the reasons you hate Twilight", so I'm just going to go out on a limb and try to answer based off of my original interpretation o.o

It's something that I've noticed going on in the media too, and I agree with a poster above who said Twilight was like an internet punching bag xD It seems to be the case, based off of my own observations.

In general (and I say this as a disclaimer - I don't mean everybody but as a general observation), it seems like people have a knee-jerk response to all things Twilight--whether they love it and they naturally gravitate to these topics, or they hate it and react as one would react to a train-wreck -- but I personally have always wondered why specially are there so many haters? What it is about Twilight that drives people to these extremes? I thought maybe it's because we see it everywhere, and it's just over-saturated in the media - much like the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, etc. (strictly from an American standpoint) I see some similar hate-wagons there as well.

Is it a mob reaction (everyone else hates it)? Or is it sheer enjoyment of mocking it? Or is it back-lash from Breaking Dawn and shame in once-supporting it, but expectations weren't met?

I found this article had a pretty interesting perspective, depicting this hate-phenomenon as a group of people who are afraid of the moral implications and wish to speak out against it. We see this throughout history - just take a look at the "banned books" list. I found the article interesting, albeit it does have some blatant feminist views:

Maybe part of the reason critics deplore these movies is not only because they are so unfamiliar with kooky heterosexual female fantasies but also because they don’t really like what these fantasies say about men.

Anywho...I shall leave this at that as I realize I've taken said things far too seriously.

~ likes her research, Audy

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 am
FutureFamousWriter says...

I think that the reason people hate Twilight is because it is all about the actors instead of the actual story. Its all Robert Patterson this, and Kristin that.

P.s i LOVE melissa Marr!!!!!

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:45 am
Plus-One says...

She also has solidified my anti-twilight opinion by prooving that Stephanie Myer put no research what so ever into what she was writing and completely tore apart what a vampire and a werewolf is. Also, she pointed out that Bella is a very weak and bland, unfinished character, and was created so that any girl can slip themselves into her slot.

Okay, I'm not a fan of Twilight, but this seems to fall close to a discussion I've had recently. I don't mind disliking her for poor prose and generally awful plots, but criticising someone for offering a different interpretation of folklore seems to me a criticism of peoples' freedom to creativity in general. It feels like you're telling authors that they can't expand on a mythological idea, or alter a mythos. Everything has to be exactly as it has been traditionally.

Where's the benefit in that? We don't bind peoples imaginations with the similar conventions in other areas of fiction, so why is Twilight particularly different?

Sure conventional vampires don't sparkle, or do a lot of what Twilight vampires do, but Twilight vampires are still linked to the core ideas of what a vampire is. An immortal blood-sucking creature. Isn't that enough to warrant her referring to them as vampires?

As much as I dislike Twilight, I completely defend Stephanie Meyer's right to adapt folklore in a way that fits into her world and story.
"Nostalgia's just not what it used to be..."

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles