z

Young Writers Society

Why so much Twilight hate?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

This past Sunday, I posted a photo on YWS' Facebook Wall comparing Pixar's Up and Twilight:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Normally, a post on YWS' Facebook wall gets maybe 30 likes; 50 tops. But since Sunday, that one post has garnered over 2,000 likes on Facebook, which is more than the number of people who have liked YWS' Facebook page!

So I'm just wondering, why the intense dislike for Twilight?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Maybe people just like Up so much. ;)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm
View Likes
Jagged says...

My guess would be a combination of hype backlash, the fact that ideas presented as 'romantic' in-text are absolutely terrifying if you so much as think about it for a second (and that so many people fall for it, which makes other people want to decry it), and because it's a cool thing to do. There's no bonding like bonding over ragefits and sporkings.

Also because the prose is frankly drier than the surface of Mars, which obviously is unforgivable.

/$0.02
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:24 am
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

I had the pleasure of meeting Melissa Merr, a brilliant fantasy writer in my opinion, and her books are quite popular. She was raised around folklore and fairytales - She's Scottish. She also has solidified my anti-twilight opinion by prooving that Stephanie Myer put no research what so ever into what she was writing and completely tore apart what a vampire and a werewolf is. Also, she pointed out that Bella is a very weak and bland, unfinished character, and was created so that any girl can slip themselves into her slot.

As I tell my twilight fan friends, "If I have to read or hear how beautiful Edward's skin is one more time, I'm burning the book!!!"

Personally am not a fan because I can't stand Stephanie Myer's oh-so-simple, repeatative way of writing, and that none of her plot lines are at all original. I admit I went through my own little "Ah, I love twilight so much!" phase, but then I read some real literature, I explored the world that she tried to create her stories in. She completely demolished what a vampire is and what a werewolf is.

Point blank, I agree with Melissa Merr - Stephanie Myer, while still a writer, has a poor writing style, put no work into her books research wise, and didn't have an original idea in her head besides making vampires sparkley!

That, and I LOVE Up.
Live, Love, Laugh

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Heh, what you wrote fictionfanactic actually makes me sort of appreciate Stephenie Meyer.

Creating a character that comes across as realistic is devilishly difficult. They have to make decisions, talk, and act in a manner that suits their personality; deviate from this and it ruins the false reality that has been created by the writer. Moreover, so many characters in fiction are absolutely nondescript. That is, they could really be anyone and they are no more memorable than Ben Rogers (the kid Tom Sawyer convinces to whitewash his aunt's fence).

But what you say Meyer did sounds to me to be fiendishly clever. Anybody can create a bland character; that's simple enough. But I don't know many works where any reader can slip themselves into the role of the character. That's very, very clever.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:04 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Lol. It's probably one of those things i did not like.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:05 am
View Likes
Justagirl says...

(Off topic but...)
fictionfanatic wrote:I had the pleasure of meeting Melissa Merr, a brilliant fantasy writer in my opinion, and her books are quite popular.
You DID?!!? LUCKY.

Heh, anyways...

I, also, went through a I-Love-Twilight phase but when I tried to re-read the Twilight books I couldn't get past the first chapter of Twilight.... D: It was awful. But, I do really like The Host, a different book by Meyer. I think it's got a cool concept :)

Comparing Up to Twilight, though, Up is better, I must agree *nods* :P

-Just
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I dislike Twilight hate. I think I've said and explained this many times.

The picture is great! Although, you could say that about just about any romance series- Up beats them all.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:36 pm
View Likes
Love says...

The reason why I dislike Twilight is because I like vampires. They are, basically, disgraced in twilight, pictured as glow-in-the-sun super-man fairies. Not blood-drinking sun-burning creatures. I love vampires which are simply evil, vampires which clean up the world, vampires which can not control themselves and even vampires which hate killing and try to avoid it at all costs... But I can't stand fairy vampires with nothing to do with the vampire genre.
I was Amareth :)

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:04 pm
View Likes
tinkembell says...

I'm ashamed to say that I used to be one of those twilight fangirls >.<. I don't know how it happened, but it's over now and although I don't /hate/ twilight, I don 't love it either. I laugh at the sparkly fairy-ness, and I love the conversation from The Vampire Diaries tv show that goes along the lines of this:

Damon: "What's up with this Bella girl? Edward's so whipped!"
Caroline: "You have to read the first book for it to make sense."
Damon: "Ugh. I miss Anne Rice, she was so on it."
Caroline: "Why don't you sparkle?"
Damon: "Because I live in the real world where vampires burn and die in the sun."

XD. Basically twilight's just not about real vampires. It's wouldn't even be realistic if it were.

~Tinkem
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:02 pm
Payne says...

I admit, I have never read the books, so my knowledge is somewhat limited. But I believe I have heard enough about them, to get the big picture. Plus, I was grudgingly persuaded by my parents (my parents, of all people!) to rent the first Twilight movie. I don't remember most of it, and at first I was just thinking that it was an incredibly dull, sappy romance. However, at that point I hadn't heard about the matter of the sparkly vampires. When I saw that, I was outraged and disgusted, and basically tuned out the rest of the movie.

See, I was raised on books like Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Castlevania video games, TV shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and movies like Dusk Till Dawn. I'm always up for a twist on old folklore, but the Twilight thing just struck me as a ruination of the legendary creatures. It turned them into teddy bears.
Also, I'm a bit perturbed by the fact that very young girls all over the world are 'in love' with an undead creature, who impregnates the young 'heroine' of the story. And I thought I heard somewhere that sparkle-boy was actually an incubus?

These are just my personal opinions, of course, and I'm not entirely sure how much of my information is accurate.
I don't hate on the fans (my dear friend likes the books, actually). I recognize Meyer as a fellow writer, and you do have to give her some credit for managing to achieve such notoriety...

It's just not my cup of tea, for numerous reasons.
Last edited by Payne on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:18 pm
SilverSummer0 says...

The first time I read Twilight I loved it! I thought the characters were amazing and the plot line gripping...until I tried reading it again. After struggling to get through the first few paragraphs I put it down and haven't been able to think about Twilight or anything connected to it without feeling sick. Bella is boring and does nothing but follow Edward around like a lost puppy. Edward is a cry baby who complains the entire book. Its just hard to read if you have ever read decent literature! I do understand why some people love Twilight so much. As someone mentioned earlier anyone can replace themselves with Bella due to her utter lack of any personality.
I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library. - Jane Austen

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 pm
stargazer9927 says...

Like others on here, I went through a Twilight phase as well. I even did a report on Stephanie Meyer and thought she was a fairly good author. In fact, when I first came to YWS (a couple years ago) I told everyone she was my favorite author.

But things have changed since then. I don't necessarily hate her, but I've grown up and now I hate Twilight. I also hate her choices. Here's the way I see it; the first book was alright and she did a good job with it. The sparkle thing was a little... strange, but the whole concept of a blood thirsty (vegitarian) vampire that fell in love with a human he wanted to eat was actually pretty good, and very original. It was after that she went downhill. The first one sold well so she made three more, just throwing things in there without any decent plots. I couldn't get passed the third book, and it took me months to get passed the second when it took me a couple months to read the entire Harry Potter series. That's the reason I don't like Twilight. Also, the guy who plays Edward in the movies screwed even the first book up for me. I'm sorry, but what were they thinking?

So now I'm very much a Twilight hater, but not completely. I would even tell you I was team Jacob if you asked ;)
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 pm
ziggiefred says...

I don't think it's the books or the whole concept in general that's the problem. It's the terrible acting in the Twilight movies. Maybe it's the script, I don't know. but everything is so cold and painful to watch. When compared to Up...wait I don't think Twilight should be compared with Up, ever.

I don't feel the Twilight books are that bad. It's a cute love story that made really bad movies, that's all.
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:22 am
Snoink says...

I liked it, but not because I hate Twilight (I haven't read it/seen it, so I make no opinions about it); I liked it because of "Up." Those first eight minutes made me cry, and it takes a lot to do that.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash