z

Young Writers Society

Why so much Twilight hate?

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:28 pm
DragonGirl11 says...

I didn't like the picture because I hate Twilight. I liked it simply because I got more attatched to Ellie and Carl in those few minutes than I did to Bella and Edward in the whole series.
I read the books, I enjoyed them, but then I stepped back and realized Bella has no personality and Edward has no flaws, so in my opinion Stephanie Meyer has no talent. Edward is any girl's perfect boyfriend, and Bella is such an empty shell any girl can slip into her. That sells books, but it doesn't make good literature.
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 pm
Emerson says...

ahhh I love this conversation.

Having read several of the books and seen at least the first film, I have more knowledge of twilight than most haters do. My first annoyance with it is Bella. She's a horrible role model for teenagers. While most teenagers do have crushes on random people and all that, and it's very intense - she takes it too far. In the second (I think) book she has lost Edward, her teenager love, and her life becomes meaningless to her. She nearly kills herself several times.

So Bella paints a picture that it's "normal" to obsessive over your boyfriend/first love and that if they leave you, your life is over and nothing gets better. I don't like that for young women. I'd much prefer it had she learned to get over Edward and instead started a relationship with a more normal, respectful guy.

Then the weird writing thing is that Bella is supposed to be a clumsy, normal, average girl but then she has like, four guys wanting to date her after she just moved to a new school. I dunno about you, but that never happened to me.

Also, I have read many vampire novels both older and newer. While I don't believe that any one idea always has to stay the same, and new changes can breathe new life into things, she did kind of tear apart the mythos.

Funny thing too, my other friend who did read ALL the books and is a biology major looked into the number of chromosomes that the vampires have. There's some explanation in the book about chromosomes and the fact that they can breed with humans or something. Apparently Edward is, chromosome-wise, a fruit salad.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 pm
Snoink says...

Funny thing too, my other friend who did read ALL the books and is a biology major looked into the number of chromosomes that the vampires have. There's some explanation in the book about chromosomes and the fact that they can breed with humans or something. Apparently Edward is, chromosome-wise, a fruit salad.

What?! Details! How many chromosomes does he have?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:30 pm
Emerson says...

Re Snoink: I'm poking my friend about it, but for now the second answer on this Yahoo Questions post should satisfy you: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 933AAdOyzd
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:56 am
Nargles says...

I have read all the books and seen most of the movies and I don't hate it but I am not one of those crazy fans who are obsessed either. I have tried to read the books again but can't quite bring myself to do it, as their is far better literature out there to spend my time on. I think that the main reason for the hate is (as many people have already mentioned) the poor language and plot lines. I personally hate Bella as a character because she gives the completely wrong impression of what female teenagers are like. Also because Meyer has made her extremely two dimensional and unable to do much for herself, for example when her boyfriend left her she spent months doing absolutely nothing and being depressed

I agree with others when they say that the books got worse and the only reason why she continued was because of the success of the first one.
I respect those who like it but I personally think that they should broaden their horizons when it comes to literature.

Love Nargles,

P.S I love UP
Don't let the Nargles bite.
And don't let a dementor kiss you good night.

It's a charm actually. It keeps away the Nargles- Luna

Reviews: 1
Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 am
View Likes
Milomex says...

I find the hate that has spread so much on the internet quite interesting, really. :P But that counts for anything that is randomly picked up by the masses to be dissected.

I got into twilight because of the large amount of people that started comparing it to Harry Potter (which, in hindsight, makes no sense) and at the time it wasn't so much of a hype. The books entertained me and, yes, I read all four of them (It got worse with each book though, I couldn't deny that. The last book was terrible). I never looked at it as a piece of genius or originality, it was simply something that entertained me. Shortly after, the first movie came out and I'm sure you know the rest of it.

I don't hate it now, but I could never ever read it again. It's not worth it. I'd rather pick something else from my collection. Part of me understands the hate, while another part of me wonders why so many people even care. I think that a lot of people are perhaps disappointed in the fact that of all things it was that book that got popular, but they always forget that it attracts teenage girls and, of course, it then becomes a hype.

The argument that Twilight has ruined the 'myth' or the 'legend' of vampires and werewolves is ridiculous. An author has the right to create his/her own stories with his/her version of whatever creature is out there, I see nothing wrong with it. It isn't ruined unless you let it. The way I see it, SM wrote of an alternative world with different rules and aspects of life and she didn't change the previous stories that have been written about vampires. They're still out there, they can still be read. Now, whether her version is good or not, that's a whole other discussion.

Anything that has fans is bound to also have haters. I, personally, do not waste my time pointing out flaws in something I hardly care about. I'd rather criticize something that has potential :wink:

I want to see people turn and writhe; make them feel things they cannot see and sometimes do not know.
— Anna Held