Young Writers Society

Plan Your Wedding!

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

- what will your wedding dress be?!?
Something like this. A shirt and skirt. The boots attached to the skirt are pretty good too.
Spoiler! :

- where will the wedding be held?!?
Probably a national park if it's about semi-pleasing family.
Really, I'd be good with just a courthouse.

- what will the bridesmaids' dresses be?!?
Spoiler! :

Those or whatever their Sunday Best outfit is.

- who are the bridesmaids?!?
There's the maid of honor and then like no one else. I might have friends by then but if it truly is a courthouse wedding, I won't need much more. And certainly not narrowing it down to only women...

- who's the maid of honour?!?
My cousin closest in age. She's older by 12 years. lol

- what song will you walk down the aisle to?!?
there's like the option for traditional but if i'm being stupid anyways...
there'll probably be the tradtional opening hymn in the background but this is what will be playing in my head:
Spoiler! :
phpBB [media]

- what will the cake be like?!?
it will be from publix.
this one is called "chocolate country romance cake"
Spoiler! :

- what is your ring like?!?
i currently wear one of my grandmother's aunt's silver wedding band and i like that.
with traditional gold in mind, it would have to be the simplest gold band in existence or this:
Spoiler! :

- what song will be your wedding waltz?!?
i know wedding waltz is supposed be like the most important thing and so romantic and the first dance between the spouses. but i have to go with bowie.
Spoiler! :
phpBB [media]

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:31 am
View Likes
SnowGhost says...

Yo. I totally wanna attend this wedding. Let me know the date and time
Just killing time until time kills me.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:22 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

An excuse to avoid my responsibilities and go on pinterest? Alright, time to do this.

- what will your wedding dress be?!?

Some variation of:

- where will the wedding be held?!?

A simple church is good for me. For the reception, I'd love to have it in a sort of art-deco cocktail lounge a la Astaire/Rogers.

- what will the bridesmaids' dresses be?!?

Something like this:

- who are the bridesmaids?!?

A few of my closest friends.

- who's the maid of honour?!?

My best friend.

- what song will you walk down the aisle to?!?

Throne Room/End Title

- what will the cake be like?!?

Red Velvet. No question about it. With some kind of fun frosting.

- what is your ring like?!?

A Disney ring for sure because I will always be a child.

- what song will be your wedding waltz?!?

So This Is Love

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:42 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@LadyLizz - how dare you take away from the seriousness. This was clearly very serious. The most serious.

Anyway with regards to legit trying to plan a wedding:

- I don't have a dress yet
- we want to have the wedding in a castle
- my bridesmaids are four friends from college
- they will wear navy or forest green
- I kind of want to make my own cake? IS THAT A THING?
- we have no idea what our music will be

But.... This is my engagement ring and I miiiiight get this wedding ring to go? (The moonstone on my ring isn't so opaque but that's what it looks like!)

And most importantly... I know the man I'm marrying and he's the best <3
Attachments
SmartSelect_20180410-234054_Instagram.jpg
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:04 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Somehow it never even occurred to me that this thread could be used to plan an actual wedding. Mind = blown.

(Well not PLAN but like, talk. Although maybe it would just be me and @StellaThomas anyway.)

I don't have a dress (which is fine since the wedding is in 2020, we don't have a date yet though), but I definitely want some sort of sleeves, either long or short. I've always liked Grace and Kate's dresses (which Ellie also linked), and they're maybe a bit too covered for me (lolz) but I would also like something along those lines, maybe. Something vintage-inspired with lace. Not so much the meringue cake of the dreams of my youth xD

I would kind of love to dress my bridesmaids in 50s style primary coloured dresses with white polka dots (a different colour each) but it may be that I'll want something more tasteful in the end...

We are not going to be married in a church most likely, because neither of us is religious, so we're going to have the (civil) ceremony and the reception in the same place, which will hopefully be by water.

This is my engagement ring:

And I might consider one of these from the same line for the wedding ring if it doesn't look too blingy when I try them on:

But it's still quite a while before that needs to be done!

I would love for Orinoco Flow by Enya to be played at the wedding, but the problem is that over here there's a TV show about (usually) pretty wild/notorious weddings and that song plays in every single episode so a lot of people associate it with that show and I'm not sure I want that xD

Stella, I've also considered making the cake myself but the only thing that would maybe stop me is that I know already that it would make me stressed and I want to minimise the sources of stress leading up to the wedding...

Okay sorry for the novel I will go now.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:17 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@Demeter - APPARENTLY wedding cake tastes better if it's been frozen so you make it a few weeks in advance and then defrost it and ice it! I really like the buttercream icing undone sort of look rather than fondant so I think it could be done... I just don't want to spent hundreds of euro on a cake 0.o

Also I mean I'm sure we're probably going to be talking to each other about our weddings in private but maybe we should post here too just for the fun... It's just so crazy looking back at the start of this thread!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

766 Reviews

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:36 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

StellaThomas wrote:@LadyLizz - how dare you take away from the seriousness. This was clearly very serious. The most serious.

obviously i forgot to mention the stage coach with tin cans tied to the back

*slips on equally serious chef's hat*
@Demeter
Don't know if you want this but just as a btw.

There's like 5 million google guides on diy wedding cakes and what @StellaThomas said is pretty true about freezing cakes.
(One of the 5 million guides that is definitely going to be haunting my web history and suggestions for all of eternity now...)
For more professional looking cakes, you freeze them in between crumb coat and different icing layers anyways. So ya know they're not flopping all over the place with crumbs and such.
It usually just depends on the icing type? Like whipped cream frosting doesn't do as well iirc so it can't be prepared as much in advance/you can't have it in between the different layers. It doesn't defrost very well and when you put a cake into the freezer for a long period of time, there's also the risk of crystals and all that.
Also you've got like two years so this is just another excuse to start experimenting and bake a cake every weekend.

Sorry to but in. Just had to come back to make that joke to Stella.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:51 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@LadyLizz - totes not butting in <3

(But seriously weddings are *expensive* and I can bake fairly well with Vera the Kitchen Aid) <3

Also you're so knowledgeable about food!

766 Reviews

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:03 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

@StellaThomas the lack of math in this darn thread bothered me about costs.
Used walmart for all my calculations, lol, since I'm on my phone during my lunch break.

Costs Because It Was Bothering Me
According to like several places, the average cost for a wedding cake is $450/€365.
So a perhaps realistic budget for making your own cake, is keeping it under $100/€81. I say a 100 bucks depending on how much effort/how many tiers/if you buy new pans.

One recommendation for buying new pans for this purple, is because you want to make sure they're free of dents and blemishes. Anything that might set off the quality.
A good set of Wilton's from Walmart, a 4 tier set is how bundles like this standardly come, is $30/€24.
That's just for good brand and also you're going to use them at a further point in time so...
You can also get cheaper ones at whatever your equivalent superstore are for like $1-4/€1-3 each. There's a lot of different brands out there so the cake pans themselves just have that range.

I assume that the cost of dry products is still relatively cheap overseas.
I looked up the general term on google of "how much does it cost to make a cake from scratch"
This was the best result when they were talking professional wise...
I would actually lower it some and say $10/€8 together for the bottom layers and $5/€4 for the other two.

More of your cost might be tied up in the decoration. The use of fondant adds the extra time, which I measure as a cost because that's what I was taught to do.

So my short things came out to say:
- $20 for cake pans
- $15 for cake
- $15 for decorations
- $10 for materials (boards, straws, platter for presentation)

That might be undershooting a little but if you get stuff on sale...

$60/€49

Perhaps the real rickroll was the friends we made along the way
— GengarIsBestBoy