z

Young Writers Society

Spirited Away

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:43 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Did "Spirited Away" make sense to anyone on here?
Sure left me clueless :shock:
Of course that's probably because I'm not well aquinted with traditional Japanese myths...
Yeah...

What did you guys think of the movie?
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:30 am
Priceless says...

SPIRITED AWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I love love love love love love love love love that movie!!! It's one of the best movies of all time!!! I loved every single minute of it! Except the part when No-Face was throwing up. The music was out of this world. Haku is such a darling <3

What exactly didn't you get? :? I wasn't confused at all and I don't know any Japanese myths.
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:52 am
Justagirl says...

I was a little confused too. And the movie scared me.

...Yeah... Anyways, I'm just not really one of those people who understands anime. It's all extremely confusin' to meh. :?

-Just
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

192 Reviews

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 am
EloquentDragon says...

(Well, I get MOST anime, but still, I got yah ;) )
The thing with "Spirited Away" is that none of the events coincided with eachother, they didn't have a common flow. Some of the scenes seemed completely irrelevant to me, and others seemed as if there were huge chunks of information missing. Also, the character threads didn't match up--they didn't explain things that needed to be explained.
The ending was good in that it fit with the style of the film, but it was overly predictable.
The set designs were wonderful, but I found the majority of the characters to be exremely...odd.
Yeah, anyway....

Enter, if you dare.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 pm
Starhunter says...

I liked this movie for the animation, but yeah, it didn't really make that much sense to me either. I figured it was because it's Japanese, and I'm not, so.... I mean, I'd never heard of a bathhouse before.
I didn't really get WHY Chihiro's parents started eating like pigs, unless it was a magic village or something.
I think I understand why No-Face was acting the way he did, but I don't get why he started throwing up everywhere. Unless all those people disagreed with him.

There were some other things too but I haven't seen the movie for a while, so I don't remember them.
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:20 pm
Priceless says...

I didn't really get WHY Chihiro's parents started eating like pigs, unless it was a magic village or something.

The food was really, really delicious. And it wasn't theirs. And they were gobbling it up. So the spirits punished them.

I think I understand why No-Face was acting the way he did, but I don't get why he started throwing up everywhere. Unless all those people disagreed with him.

Chihiro gave him some of that medicine that the River spirit gave her.

Any more q's?? :D
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

192 Reviews

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 pm
EloquentDragon says...

I agree, the animation was wonderful. It is some of the best I've ever seen that wasn't Disney. As I've said before, the set designs were wonderful, and some of the character's designs weren't so bad either.
I'm wondering, if some of the original story was lost in the translation? (I watched the dubbed version)
Anyway, the story just seemed too sporadic and random for me, so it's not on my "Top favorite anime list."
I was wondering WHY the story was so "random" though? Any clues? Was it based off of something else? Maybe it's just Mr. H. M.'s personal style, but after watching "Howl's Moving Castle," "Spirited Away" left me with a huge question mark over my head. I wondered what Hiyeo Mizuaki's (totally butchered that name, O.O ) original intention was for the film.

Enter, if you dare.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:53 pm
Rosendorn says...

It might help if you read some more explanations on the plot online? I've found that's helped me a lot for "reasons why" something was done. I won't directly link TV Tropes because of how addicting it is, but that's a good place to start.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the movie (just read the aforementioned tv tropes page, in part) and it seemed to be generally representing the sporadic nature of the spirit world.

Just a theory, though.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:19 pm
tinkembell says...

Spirited Away! <3

It made sense to me...

Oh, I just googled it and he apparently based it on his friends ten year old daughter, and it's about Chihiro's journey from a child to an adult because when yubaba takes her name, she can't go back to reality the way she came, and has to create a new identity. It also says that it symbolized modern Japanese society, with conflicts, dissapearing culture, customs within a global society and environmental pollution. Then something to do with bad economics and credit card fueled gluttony linked to the pigs. O_o *confused face*

~Tinkem
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:42 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I watched it Sunday. I was lost during the beginning for a while. It was a good movie and it made more sense to me as it went on. The ending was kind of crappy but I've been spoiled with finding out what happens after the movie ends.
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

It does help if you have a solid background in Japanese culture. There are a lot of references to myths and spiritual beliefs that tie the entire movie together.

Comparing the dub to the sub, the dub is actually quite excellent and true to the story. I don't know what parts you found confusing and which scenes irrelevant, so it might be helpful to mention specifics.

Overall, Spirited Away is one of my favorite Miyazaki movies. I liked it much better than Howl's Moving Castle, namely because HMC took a favorite book of mine by a favorite author and essentially threw out the story. -_-
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:36 am
wizkid515 says...

Oh My God I absoultley love that movie! It's like my favourite movie of all time.

Everybody wants to go to heaven; but nobody wants to die.

When life gives you lemons…take over YWS with fruits and vegetables!!!
— LemonescentAnt