z

Young Writers Society

Sneak Peek at YWS Renovation

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:43 pm
Rydia says...

This is looking really cool! I love that the author's details are shown beside the literary work!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 pm
StellaThomas says...

Nate- I love it! I like all the different panels and the easier navigation.

Just a quick question about commenting/reviewing- will there be a reply page, like the ones we use now, or just the box at the bottom of the work?

EDIT- also, someday the Second Coming of freakforchrist will happen...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Stella Thomas wrote:Just a quick question about commenting/reviewing- will there be a reply page, like the ones we use now, or just the box at the bottom of the work?

Good question. At the moment, I don't intend to have a reply page. Instead, it will be just the box for not only literary works but forums as well. My aim here is just to make things as accessible as possible.

I think the biggest concern people may have about that is the uploading of attachments, and viewing the available smilies. But, there'll be ways to still do both.

Although, that's merely my intent. In reality, it's actually going to be very difficult to not have a reply page (owing to the problem of providing an easy way to upload attachments and place them inline). So while I don't intend to have a reply page, the reality is that it'll probably still be there.

Sorry for my non-answer :)

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 pm
JabberHut says...

That looks very slick. Extremely awesome. A contemporary feel to the YWS we know! It's like shopping for a whole new wardrobe. It's so fetch!

This is going to make absolutely no sense, but I like how it doesn't feel so open? As you've mentioned, there aren't any distracting links or information. It's all about *that post* right in your face, and I very much love that. I'm excited to see how it'll affect my desire to read more. (I'm always getting distracted. So sad.)

Can't wait to see how the other parts of the site will turn out, such as Storybooks and Clubs! And the Contests now too!
I make my own policies.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

So clean. I think I'm in love.

Though I shall miss the signatures.

As for the Reply page possibly no longer existing, I'd be more concerned with the ability to preview or save drafts.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

425 Reviews

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:36 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

The preview button will still be available for posting.

Regarding save, I'd like to just use the automatic save feature we have now and extend that (as well as fix a few bugs). So, what would happen is all posts would be automatically saved. Then later on, you can access those unsubmitted posts through the "Manage Drafts" area. However, to allow for the multiple saving of drafts in the same forum, the automatically saved post would no longer be accessible through the area you started the post in (the opposite of what happens now). Instead, you'd need to go to the Dashboard then to Manage Drafts.

That is bit of an obtuse explanation, but suffice to say that saving would still happen. It would just be different.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 am
YouWishYouHadThis says...

I can't Wait To Seee IT ^_^
I Can Rock Your World And Live My Life like A Rock star

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

Looks really good. Will be interesting to see it implemented. Nice work, Nate :)
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:18 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

Nate, are you really a law student?
:O

It. Looks. Amazing!
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 pm
View Likes
Yuriiko says...

Indescribable feeling...

Spoiler! :
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm
iampaulop says...

Wow, it's Cool ! :) Its not too complex like this old YWS ( I think so ). Looking forward for the new YWS.
It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities

Paul Zione

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:28 pm
Destiny110 says...

I like the changes! But I am more interested who this "freakofchrist" character is, and what language he is writing in...As always I am more interested in the relatively un important points of the whole things XD
The last person to mess with me and my tigerness lost his face...and his COOKIES!

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:33 pm
View Likes
Incognito says...

Freakforchrist. <3
I missed ye and your featured authorness eons ago.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty cool. I have a question though. Will the site be going down when you implement the changes?
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:00 pm
Caerulean says...

There's only one thing that I can say: We are lucky - no - blessed to have Nate as our administrator. :D
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

425 Reviews

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:01 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Incognito wrote:Other than that, I think it looks pretty cool. I have a question though. Will the site be going down when you implement the changes?

Good question. You were around for the last big renovation, and YWS had to go offline for a week with that one. However, the difference between the 2009 renovation and the upcoming 2011 renovation is that the 2009 involved a total rewriting of the code and database. Since I had to convert the database to the new phpbb3 format, the site had to necessarily go offline for a bit.

By contrast, the 2011 renovation will be purely cosmetic. There might be an hour of downtime, but nothing much. Indeed, the current YWS should even continue to work, and I may keep it as option for a month or so after the renovation goes through.

Destiny110 wrote:But I am more interested who this "freakofchrist" character is, and what language he is writing in...

Freakforchrist was the sixth person to join the site, but has yet to ever make a post. For this cardinal sin, he is mocked.

"Lorem ipsum" is basic placeholder text (it's Latin). You use it in mock-ups so that people concentrate on the design of the page rather than the text. To read more about it, check out the Wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

From the article: "Where text is comprehensible in a document, people tend to focus on the textual content rather than upon overall presentation, so publishers use lorem ipsum when displaying a typeface or design elements and page layout in order to direct the focus to the publication style and not the meaning of the text."

Justtrying wrote:Nate, are you really a law student?

Nope, I'm not. Believe it or not, but I'm technically a lawyer. Although I have yet to do anything in regards to that.

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer