z

Young Writers Society

Sneak Peek at YWS Renovation

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:14 am
View Likes
Dreamwalker says...

Pretty shnazzy. Sharp edges are boring anyways ;)

And yet, at the same time I feel the need to find a walking stick, shake it, then start ranting about the good ol' days.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:02 pm
TheButtonWorks says...

It looks very good, and about the fact that it doesn't work well with auld versions of IE? Apt revenge for those who've stuck by that dinosaur.

Google is the future.
Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, "Goodbye!" and you were like "NO WAY." and then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you."
That was great.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:37 pm
Blues says...

Will CSS3 - the thing that does the curves - work with Google Chrome? (Please say yes, it's my favourite bit about the renovation)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:48 am
LookUpThere says...

Perhaps we need a place to fit in recommended literary works? Otherwise I love the whole look, feel and concept - can't wait. Also, maybe this should be in the Comments/Suggestions forum but the Writing Resources on this site is kinda highlighted at the moment - I'm just wondering what the stats are for that page. It really helped my writing and helped me understand how to review as well as be reviewed.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:49 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

One quick question: where will the YWS bathroom go?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Does this mean the info by your avatar such as location, gender, custom title, etc., will all go away too?
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 pm
Emerson says...

By the way, WriterFeed will look almost 100% identical. The only difference will be the sections displayed.

Epic winnings. You're always working on YWS though, how are you to ever get WF up? :P
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:50 pm
Nate says...

Suzanne wrote:Epic winnings. You're always working on YWS though, how are you to ever get WF up? :P

By combining the development of the two! WriterFeed will essentially be the very basics of the YWS renovation. By that I mean that WriterFeed and the new YWS will look the same and basically feel the same. However, YWS will have the clubs, contests, and storybooks. So where WriterFeed leaves off, the new YWS begins.

However, that's only in the very beginning. Eventually, WriterFeed could end up being very different from YWS. Moreover, as WriterFeed will essentially be the lite version of the YWS renovation, it'll be done months before the full renovation is done.

Ranger Hawk wrote:Does this mean the info by your avatar such as location, gender, custom title, etc., will all go away too?

Pretty much. They'll still be available on the profile page though.

Ahmadblues wrote:Will CSS3 - the thing that does the curves - work with Google Chrome? (Please say yes, it's my favourite bit about the renovation)

Google Chrome has the best support for CSS3 among all the major browsers, so yes. The only browser that isn't CSS3 compatible is Internet Explorer versions 6 through 8.

TheButtonWorks wrote:It looks very good, and about the fact that it doesn't work well with auld versions of IE?

Well, just to be very clear the new YWS will still work well with old versions of IE. However, it just won't look as nice. That's true about the current version of YWS as well. To see the biggest difference, pull up the Novels and Novellas page in IE 6-8, and then look at it in any other browser.

Fortunately, only 19% of YWSers still use IE 6, 7, or 8.

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:06 am
Lava says...

#morelove!
The only thing I might miss is the Reply page, but we'll see!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl