z

Young Writers Society

You know youre eastern europian when...

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:25 pm
sabradan says...

Meshugenah wrote:Ditto Dan and Gal. Seriously.. I get the, "so, when are you getting a boyfriend" at very family gathering, at least twice, from three different family members. I am always forced to eat.. and my great grandmother was the only one who was actually from overseas that I knew.. my mom's entire family is from eastern europe, and it manifests itself in such strange ways.. and it takes at least an hour to leave. so if I want to get home before sunrise, start dropping hints about leaving almost as soon as we get someplace.

and my grandpa doesn't see the point in teaching me yiddish. and then proceedes to call me a kvetch. and other choice things I can't spell. in YIDDISH! arg.

and.. names with 17 consonants? yep. so name changing occured..

and everything my greatgrandmother owed I swear was covered in lace.

600 people at a wedding? oh yeah.. and how many would be friends of your parents you've only met once? eh.. maybe that's my family..

Meshele, vy are you such a kvetch? Vhen are you going to get a boyfreind? Ive seen you looking at zat shaygetz down ze street. VELL DONT EVEN TINK ABOUT IT! 6 million of our people didnt die so Meshele can go around playing footsie-tootsie vit de goyim. Vhen vill you find a nice Yiddishe boy?....blah blah blah...

That about right?
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:50 am
Bjorn says...

Arvandor wrote:
backgroundbob wrote:Irish blood, dearie :D Irish.

64. You can spell 'European'

;)

Not really...ya see, we use cyrilic

Кирилчна азбукаааа ракс мај сакс!

Cyrilic Alphabet rox my sox!

Oh also, I was named after St.Cyril, he invented the Cyrilic Alphabet but I prefer the macedonian version of the name, Kyril, cuz Cyril reminds me of cereal :?

One more reason to fall before my feet! :twisted:

Ah yes, St.Cyril went forth to bring back the scriptures to the Slavs in the alphabet he created, the Cyrilica. You know, I never got to learn it (until now) because I suppose for the Balkan war. After Croatia split up of course, anything to do with Yugoslavia or Serbia was frowned upon. So of course Croatia took up to using the Roman script they've adopted since their adoption of Catholocism. They did have a script of their own, the Glagolit alphabet, which survived as the alphabet used in Croatian churches until it was finally unused around the 11-12th century. But I'm not so fond of the Cyrillic script, mind you. It's like the romanized script, but mixed up, with a few distinct letters. Anyway, my parents are immigrants, thus learning Croatian was inevitable, amongst other things.

Hvala puno za vašeg vrijemena! :)
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:49 am
Meshugenah says...

sabradan wrote:
Meshugenah wrote:Ditto Dan and Gal. Seriously.. I get the, "so, when are you getting a boyfriend" at very family gathering, at least twice, from three different family members. I am always forced to eat.. and my great grandmother was the only one who was actually from overseas that I knew.. my mom's entire family is from eastern europe, and it manifests itself in such strange ways.. and it takes at least an hour to leave. so if I want to get home before sunrise, start dropping hints about leaving almost as soon as we get someplace.

and my grandpa doesn't see the point in teaching me yiddish. and then proceedes to call me a kvetch. and other choice things I can't spell. in YIDDISH! arg.

600 people at a wedding? oh yeah.. and how many would be friends of your parents you've only met once? eh.. maybe that's my family..

Meshele, vy are you such a kvetch? Vhen are you going to get a boyfreind? Ive seen you looking at zat shaygetz down ze street. VELL DONT EVEN TINK ABOUT IT! 6 million of our people didnt die so Meshele can go around playing footsie-tootsie vit de goyim. Vhen vill you find a nice Yiddishe boy?....blah blah blah...

That about right?

yep, pretty much. only not as heavy on the accent. more bronx in there now than anything.. my great grandmother was like that, though. my mom always tells me how when I was little and we'd go to her house, it'd be summer, so warm, she'd be cold, so she'd tell mom to put a sweater on me. yeash.. but the goyim thing? *shudder* I get quized on the "nice jewish guys" at school; neither of whom are nice. jewish, yes, nice no. but.. the goyim don't get the wacky jokes that are half in yiddish.. *snicker* now that's fun. /rambles. for now.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

147 Reviews

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:49 am
sabradan says...

Meshugenah wrote:
sabradan wrote:

That about right?

yep, pretty much. only not as heavy on the accent. more bronx in there now than anything.. my great grandmother was like that, though. my mom always tells me how when I was little and we'd go to her house, it'd be summer, so warm, she'd be cold, so she'd tell mom to put a sweater on me. yeash.. but the goyim thing? *shudder* I get quized on the "nice jewish guys" at school; neither of whom are nice. jewish, yes, nice no. but.. the goyim don't get the wacky jokes that are half in yiddish.. *snicker* now that's fun. /rambles. for now.

Oh man, do I understand all of that. When we lived in Israel, and I was little, my grandma came in to visit from Chicago, and we lived in the south, on the coast so it was always hot and humid, but alas, she was cold. So what does she say to my mother? "Put a sweater on him! He'll freeze! Its chilly out here!" I swear it must be something about being Jewish.... :roll:
Oh, and whenever you talk about school/work/etc. And you say a freinds name. and its a Jewish name, but their not Jewish and you try in vain to explain this to your grandparents. (Mine was a black dude at my school, Josh Freeman. Sounds Jewish, ni? But VERY NOT Jewish.)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:43 pm
Myth says...

Erethror wrote:
- If you speak English, you come from America

For me if you speak English (no matter where you're from) you're definately English. That's what most of my adult relatives think.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:11 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Meshugenah wrote:
sabradan wrote:

That about right?

are goyim people who aren't jewish / don't understand yiddish?

147 Reviews

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:10 pm
sabradan says...

KayJuran wrote:
Meshugenah wrote:
sabradan wrote:

That about right?

are goyim people who aren't jewish / don't understand yiddish?

goyim=non jews

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:05 am
Meshugenah says...

dan wrote:Oh man, do I understand all of that. When we lived in Israel, and I was little, my grandma came in to visit from Chicago, and we lived in the south, on the coast so it was always hot and humid, but alas, she was cold. So what does she say to my mother? "Put a sweater on him! He'll freeze! Its chilly out here!" I swear it must be something about being Jewish....
Oh, and whenever you talk about school/work/etc. And you say a freinds name. and its a Jewish name, but their not Jewish and you try in vain to explain this to your grandparents. (Mine was a black dude at my school, Josh Freeman. Sounds Jewish, ni? But VERY NOT Jewish.)

oy. so, is that ackerman girl you know jewish?

no.

you sure? what about livensky? she jewish? what I nice, jewish name.

mom, ex-raiderette. with a giant cross necklace.

you sure?

vell, what about that ackerman?

no!

etc, etc. until the world ends, amen. and nana used to called me shenkeit (sp? I'm looking it up, as I can't spell in english, let alone yiddish, or is it yiddishe? hmm.. *ponders*) shainkeit! well, at least according to this yiddish translating dictionary thing..

then, I get teh college wrap: no, you can't go to indiana, PA for school! they don't offer scholarships (they do), it's too expensie! (and harvard isnt..?), and it's too far away! ( I can make stanford seem far away, don't tempt me.. )

and my favourite, stuffing you full of extra food, while telling you it looks like you've put on weight.

hehe, a bti random, I have a new favourite saying : redn tzu der vant. hehe, time to put it to good use (like in math.. eh, another rant for another time..). is it meshguenah or meshugeneh? eh.. leaving now..

and mom says nana didn't have any lace. ok, no real lace.. but it was still lacy and frilly. end of story.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

147 Reviews

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:09 am
sabradan says...

Heh, yeah my family was the same way with me and ASU. It was "too far". But I may yet transfer to IU Bloomington, or U of I, or if im lucky ASU or UF. Either way, it'll be better than where I am, in the bible belt. UGH.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:34 am
hevc says...

Galatea wrote:I have a few more (Yay! Being czech rules!):

-No matter what you eat, you still hold on to your 'birthing hips'.

-You burn sitting in front of a window on a winter's day.

-Your best friends growing up were also your cousins.

-Your Grandpapa keeps asking when you're going to become a 'real woman' and marry that nice boy up the street. (This really happened, I swear)

-You date a Puerto Rican and when s/he meets your Grandmama, she insists that he's Rroma and wants nothing to do with the Gypsies. (also really happened...)

-Your Grandmama refuses to teach you Czech because "Ve're ull Amerikan now."

heh - i'm czech too (my last name is čulíková), rather, my dad is, and i can speak the language.

how about the whole slippers thing? and fasting on christmas eve in order to see flying pigs? yeah. oh and also that thing at easter where they go around hitting girls on their backside with a bundle of sticks...?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:07 am
Leja says...

Alright, this is almost a year old, but I had to comment on it....

new: you move to America and buy a house with alluminum awnings over each and every window

never mind measuring cups, you don't even use a recepie

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott