z

Young Writers Society

Failing Dream

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:56 pm
Firestarter says...

It is obviously many people's dreams that they will get published and have a bestseller on here....mine too. But then I read books by my favourite authors. And I can't see how my novels will ever get published in comparison to their writing. I think...'Mine is nowhere near the quality of these," and I feel a little sad. Sometimes I just feel downcast about this...I have no other direction in life I'm sure about it, apart from I want it to involve writing, and maybe history.

Pleh, this is more of a ramble. I just want some discussion about it.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:00 pm
Morran says...

I feel the same way a lot of the time. I don't think that my style compares in any way to that of the author's I enjoy, and it's definitely discouraging. But at the same time, I don't think I'm at my "peak" yet... you know? I'm still learning, and my style is still getting better and better. Eventually, if I keep at it and keep developing, I will hopefully get my -own- style. Maybe still not like theirs.

But good enough to get published on its own.

That's how I keep myself writing, anyway.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:05 pm
Firestarter says...

I sometimes think that, maybe I'm still improving. I look back at stuff I did a year ago and smile. But at the same time their seems such a large gulf between me and getting something published.

There's always a chance, though, and that's what I'll hang on to. I'ts just depressing sometimes.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:23 pm
niteowl says...

Think of the worst published novel you ever read. If that can get published, so can yours. Like Engraved in Stone by some lady. A third grader could have come up with that plot! And the ending was so predictable, one could predict it just by reading the bookjacket description. At least I did.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:12 pm
Nate says...

I get the same way sometimes, but then I read a book, and I think to myself "If this guy could get published, then anyone can get published." I think what it really comes down to is learning to market yourself. Making yourself look professional in appearance as well as in how you submit a story goes a long way. Moreover, being absolutely insistent is essential.

You also need to find out what works for you. For myself, I used to always try to write really serious stories, but I'm not a serious person. Switching over to humor has made it a lot easier for me to write a good story, in addition to other mediums.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:14 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

I know...but like you said, Firestarter, look back at what you did a year ago. It doesn't even compare to the new stuff! And you've got the rest of your life to get published, so how much improvement do you think will be going on? :D (my stuff from last year is just blecchhh
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:35 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Hmmmm...

I look back to what I've written a year ago and think, "OMGWTF! I used to write so well!"

That's even more depressing than comparing myself to published writers, because it's comparing myself to me-from-a-year-ago. u_u;

I think I've used up all my creative energy and am receding or something.

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:37 am
Chevy says...

Yeah. Sometimes I feel the same way. But if Cythnia Voigt can get published, my dead uncle can as well.

Anyway, before deciding to just go mainstream and get published, you should like try local newspapers and stuff. That's what I'm doing.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:20 am
Crysi says...

Personally, I like Cynthia Voigt.. *cough*

I do the exact same thing.. If I haven't read my story in a while, I have no idea how I'm gonna get published and I think it's crap. But if I read it again, I start thinking it might be possible. And I let some of my friends read a few chapters, and they all love it, so that gives me more confidence.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:59 am
bubblewrapped says...

I know exactly what you mean, Firestarter. I get that all the time, mostly when I look at something I've just written and think *God, that stinks.* and then I get this sinking sensation in my chest and I just KNOW I'm not going to go further with it. I havent actually finished a story (excluding short stories) since I was about five years old. Thats how bad it gets, lol, so be thankful you are still writing. I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth....

Its always a good sign when what you write today is better than before, though. I just about cry with embarassment when I read my old poems [shudders]
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien