21%
Don't care
12%

Total votes : 43

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:37 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

there is another huge plot twist that could happen. you all know how there were two children who the prophecy partially applied, too neville and harry. voldemort chose harry to be the other part of the prophecy and which is why he tried to kill him, but maybe the prophecy is not talking about harry, but about neville longbottom, what if in the end neville accidentaly kills voldemort, like without knowing. it may seem very unlikely that it happens, but i've read books were the prophecies don't apply to the person everyone thinks that they apply too. neville could just had some strange thing of luck, that killed voldemort, but also killed himself. imean the prophecy could have applied to neville.
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 am
Jiggity says...

Im sorry to say that's not possible. Your right about one thing it could have been either harry or neville...had not Voldemort chosen and attacked Harry. By doing this he inadverdantly sealed Harry's place as the figure in the prophecy. Dumbledore explains it at some point...now im going to have to go back and look for it.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:29 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

you check, because im pretty sure, that it still could be nevil, but i probably jsut dont remember, please find that for me.
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:32 am
The Silent Aviator says...

Although the eveidence at www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com is somewhat convincing , I still stick with the hard, factual text of The Half Blood Prince; Dumbledore is dead. Dumbledore was a great character during his "time". But face it, he's dead, and will most likley stay that way when book seven is published. Sorry to dissapoint.

I'd prefer for him to stay dead. It adds a very large and interesting plot twist that I'd personaly prefer to see JK Rowling keep. Besides, the "death/rebirth" theme is overused all too often in literature...

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:03 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Actually, fooling everyone into thinking he was dead might be the greatest plot twist of all. The death/rebirth thing may seem unlikely at first.

I am of the opinion though that it is more than mere coincidence that Dumbledore has a phoenix instead of an owl.

Also, I think that while Neville probably isn't the person mentioned in the prophecy, I do think that he has some significant part to play before all this is said and done.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:28 pm
Teeeeo. says...

I DO remember Dumbly telling Harry that because Voldy attacked HIM and NOT Neville, he sealed him as his enemy. Harry has the scar, and as long as it's there, HE is Voldy's Mortal Enemy, His Death and Destruction.
Since it is a scar, I don't think it'll go away...

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:06 pm
Jiggity says...

Nicely said, TeodoreLispelle ! My words have been backed up, so HA to you nay-sayers!
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:10 pm
Aet Lindling says...

YOU DON'T REMEMBER WHERE IT IS?!?! Sorry... but it's only THE MOST FAMOUS PART OF THE ENTIRE SERIES!!! EVEN PEOPLE WHO'VE NEVER READ THE BOOKS KNOW ABOUT (some of them, anyway) "Harry, it is time for me to tell you something I should have told you 5 years ago. Sit down. I am going to explain everything.". HELLO?!?!

Sorry about that.

Anyway. The website makes good points, and I now believe that JK didn't mean to kill Dumbly. She put in all those clues... and then decided she wanted to kill him for real. Trust me, this is the case. She has publically stated "Dumbledore is dead. He is going to remain dead, and will not be brought back to life." She has also said she will never lie about the plot.

HOWEVER.

There is something I have not mentioned yet. The name of Book 7. Deathly Hallows. Most HP fans don't even know what this means, or even worse, spell it Hollows. And I decoded the puzzle on JKRs website to find it out, I should know. :P

What it means is:
Firstly: Deathly. I think this is obvious.
Secondly: Hallows. Not as obvious. Even a newspaper said it was a mystery as to what "Hallows" meant. Look it up, people. It means spirits.

Deathly Spirits.

Combine this with Dumbledore's death, and the HUGE hint I can't believe no one has mentioned, the veil in the Department of Mysteries! The one that kills, and appears to have a sort of doorway to the dead!

Deathly Spirits + Death of Dumbledore + Hints that Dumbly might not be completely dead + The veil = Err... do I really have to explain this?

See you July 21st, Dumbledore's spirit. ;)
dun worry
it's all gun be k

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:41 pm
Jules the jester says...

I am pretty sure that dumbledore is DEAD

Even if the spell was teh real one how could Anyone survive that fall.

I would liek to see Dumledore back but i doubt it will happen.

Hagrid is the most loyal person to Dumbledore and at the funeral he is crying. i know it may be an act but i think that his emotions are real.

Plus the prophecy says that Harry and voldemort will fight and only they will fight. so what has dumbledore now got to do with the plot? Nothing. Nilcho.
and plus ron and hermione are going to be with him and we all know that they are both pretty good wizards.

so no need for Dumbledore now

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:51 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Taking all this information into account, Rowling has stated that "Dumbledore is definitely dead." She doesn't lie to her readers. If there was a chance that he was alive, she would merely have said "No comment," or something of the sort. He's definitely dead. No doubt.

Also, referring to the title, Deathly Hallows. The literal translation for it in some of the foreign language titles generally mean the same thing, Deadly Hallows, Deathly Spirits, Deathly Saints, etc. etc. However, another meaning of hallows could be a relic of some kind:

Hallow is a word usually used as a verb, meaning "to make holy or sacred, to sanctify or consecrate, to venerate". However, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the word hallows appears as a noun. In modern English, the word is used as a noun in "All Hallows' Day" or "All Saints' Day," which is the day after Halloween or "All Hallows' Eve". Hallows can refer to saints, the relics of saints, the relics of gods, or shrines in which the relics are kept. Since the essence of these saints or gods were often considered present at their shrines and in their relics, hallows came to refer to the saints or gods themselves, rather than just their relics or shrines. So, the hallow (relic) of a hallow (saint) is hidden in a hallow (shrine). Hallow is not to be confused with hollow, such as in Godric's Hollow.

An example of a story where hallows play a crucial role is in Arthurian legend, where the Fisher King is the guardian of the four hallows, which include the Grail itself, the serving dish, the sword or dagger, and the spear.

Now, from this very quote, we can see there are striking similarities to Arthurian legend, regarding the four hallows which, by strange coincidence (or not) are very similar to four relics in Harry Potter. Well, two of them at least:

Grail - Hufflepuff's cup
Sword or dagger - Gryffindor's sword

Ravenclaw's relic is unkown, and Slytherin's (the necklace) is not similar to either of the two leftover hallows from Arthurian legend. So, what most people seem to have disregarded are the four Hogwarts founders. They are revered as saint-like by many of the wizarding community. Hallows could mean saints. Also, the four relics that these founders left, three of which we are quite sure have been used as horcruxes. This surely would make them deadly, as part of Voldy's soul is concealed in them. Rowling has also stated that the name of Harry's parents' home is very significant: Godric's Hollow. Godric Gryffindor. Coincidence? I think not.

Therefore, I think that the four Hogwarts founders, and their relics used as Horcruxes, are a very good guess at one of the meanings of the word Hallows. Rowling usually mentions things offhand in her books, the significance of which is not explained until later. Sirius Black is a prime example. Could Godric's Hollow be another? I think we can deduce from this that the four Hogwarts founders still have an important role to play. Their relics, Voldemort's Horcruxes, obviously do.
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:01 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Well JKR herself has said that Dumbledore is dead.

"But I see that I need to be a little more explicit and say that Dumbledore is definitely dead."
Form here.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:21 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Dargquon Ql'deleodna wrote:
Crysi wrote: I mean, we all know that the final book HAS to end in a duel between Voldy and Harry

i does not have to end with a duel between, harry and voldemort, there is one extreme plot twist that could happen.

oh yea and dumbledore is dead, get over it.

I think Harry and Moldy-Shorts are gonna die together when they simultaneously cast "Avada Kedavra". B'sides, it was Professor Geezer's time to snuff it. (I give him that name in all affection; geezer is a awesome word) It would take all the fun out of book 7 if Dumbledore lived. IF DUMBLEDORE COMES BACK...then Sirius has to, TOO! And Moody will take over the Order, etc.....
ohmeohmy

280 Reviews

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:23 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Wow, that's quite ironic...my avvie, I mean... :lol:
ohmeohmy

280 Reviews

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:39 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

KazSmurf wrote:Taking all this information into account, Rowling has stated that "Dumbledore is definitely dead." She doesn't lie to her readers. If there was a chance that he was alive, she would merely have said "No comment," or something of the sort. He's definitely dead. No doubt.

Now, from this very quote, we can see there are striking similarities to Arthurian legend, regarding the four hallows which, by strange coincidence (or not) are very similar to four relics in Harry Potter. Well, two of them at least:

Grail - Hufflepuff's cup
Sword or dagger - Gryffindor's sword

Ravenclaw's relic is unkown, and Slytherin's (the necklace) is not similar to either of the two leftover hallows from Arthurian legend. So, what most people seem to have disregarded are the four Hogwarts founders. They are revered as saint-like by many of the wizarding community. Hallows could mean saints. Also, the four relics that these founders left, three of which we are quite sure have been used as horcruxes. This surely would make them deadly, as part of Voldy's soul is concealed in them. Rowling has also stated that the name of Harry's parents' home is very significant: Godric's Hollow. Godric Gryffindor. Coincidence? I think not.

Therefore, I think that the four Hogwarts founders, and their relics used as Horcruxes, are a very good guess at one of the meanings of the words Hallows. Rowling usually mentions things offhand in her books, the significance of which is not explained until later. Sirius Black is a prime example. Could Godric's Hollow be another? I think we can deduce from this that the four Hogwarts founders still have an important role to play. Their relics, Voldemort's Horcruxes, obviously do.

I think that Ravenclaw's 'heirloom' might be a diary, a jeweled ink pot or a earring. Ravenclaw was an intellectual; any item associated with writing or reading would probably do it. It would strike an ironic note with Moldy-Shorts using a diary again.

I don't think that throughout any of the books it said where Slytherin or any of the other founders were buried.

I think that in Godric's Hollow, we're gonna find some ghosts. I also think that Arthur's going to die. I'll be sad when he does, but if he doesn't, it'll be Hagrid.
ohmeohmy

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Yeeeah, I think we've all noticed the Godric thing.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

And on the pedestal these words appear:/'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'/Nothing beside remains.
— Percy Bysshe Shelley