z

Young Writers Society

Summer Reading List?

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sat May 29, 2010 12:45 am
captain.classy says...

I don't know if we have one of these already, but do you have a summer reading list? I just made mine.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Say You're One of Them by Unem Akban

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements

Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

What are yours? Any comments about the books on this list?

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sat May 29, 2010 1:27 am
Jagged says...

I do most of my reading online nowadays, but there are some books I am thinking of reading this summer:

A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows by GRR Martin
More of Pratchett's Discworld series, preferably those involving the Watch
Neil Gaiman's American Gods (again)
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
The Art of War, by Sun Tzu

And we'll see about the rest. All I am sure of so far is that there will definitely be fanfiction involved, since it tends to eat up my life.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm
Bloo says...

All I have so far is The Hitch Hicker's guide to the Galaxyby Douglas Adam, all five books. That should last me a bit though.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sat May 29, 2010 5:52 pm
Adnamarine says...

I have a very very very long list, but here's a few:
American Gods, Neil Gaiman
The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
Rant, Chuck Palahniuk
Catch-22, Joseph Heller
The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemmingway
As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee (I've already read this one, but I should read it again)
1984, George Orwell
Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
The Illiad, Homer
I also have more than a half dozen editions of Poetry Magazine that I need to devour.

That's barely the start. XD I don't know if I'll get them all read within a summer, but it's worth a try.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun May 30, 2010 12:15 am
Lauren2010 says...

I don't have much of a list, but you guys have some great books on yours! I loved The Kite Runner (also, read A Thousand Splendid Suns if you haven't, it's by the same author) and The Book Thief (I keep thinking to myself as I gaze at the book on my shelf that I wish I was still reading it). To Kill a Mockingbird and Slaughterhouse-5 are both really good too. Slaughterhouse-5 was so strange, but good.

I'll probably just read whatever I can get my hands on this summer. I do have The Inferno, a book of Grimm's fairy tales, and a book of Aesops Fables that I'm looking forward to reading. I want to read A Tale of Two Cities again too, since I feel I was too young to appreciate it the first time around.
Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun May 30, 2010 12:18 am
Emerson says...

All I have so far is The Hitch Hicker's guide to the Galaxyby Douglas Adam, all five books. That should last me a bit though.

You will have the best summer ever.

I don't really have any sort of list in particular, although I am going to try and read all of the Christian Bible this summer. I've already gotten fairly far into it!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun May 30, 2010 5:06 am
Meshugenah says...

Ok, so uh... I won't list everything, since that'd be insane, and I don't have access to most of my books anyway, so we'll start with those that I currently see, ja? And Lauren, which translation of Inferno? And Jagged! Dare I ask what fanfic? :P I'm very close to letting it devour some of my summer reading time, see.

On mine... American Gods - er, assuming I can find my copy, since I have no idea what box it's packed in (and with something like 12 boxes and a giant tub of books, I'm not keen on unpacking every single one to find it!)

In my sight right now, we have! Anna Karenina, Vanity Fair, a book on the Magna Carta, North and South, Crandford and Other Stories, Wordsworth edition, I believe, Uh... my brain's failing me, now. I think I have Jude the Obscure on my to-read list, just not sure when I'll actually force myself to read it. Prolly will go through and read something beside Canterbury Tales from my lovely Riverside Chaucer - seriously, I am so in love with that thing. I also really want to get this nifty edition of all the Gawain-poet's works, and read it entirely in that dialect of ME, since I can do pretty well with Chaucer's dialect - yes, I am a huge geek! What else, what else. I know there's a new Diane Duane book I need to get my hands on, so that's definitely on the list to read/buy soon as I find a copy that's not hardback/more than ten bucks. That's enough for now, right? Oh, and I should really reread A Clash of Kings, but I'm not sure I have the patience for it, right now. Or know where my copy is. Do not like this fact. Oh! I need to finish going through all of Jane Austen's works, possibly I'll take a week and just read all six complete, and fish out my anthology that has "Lady Susan."

Oooh, and Adna! Tell me how you like, well, everything on your list, please? I've read most of it, and I'd love to discuss some of them!

And I'll stop with that lengthy ramble^^ (though, in my defense, I am an oppressed lit. major. It doesthings to your brain, I swear)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 am
Demeter says...

Adna, I adore pretty much all of your choices. :)

I didn't have a list before, but I'm making one right now.

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut (already reading this)
Someone Like You by Roald Dahl (already reading this)
1984 by George Orwell
Runot by Kaarlo Sarkia (a poetry collection)
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
Harry Potter et le Prisonnier d'Azkaban by JK Rowling
Le Lion, La Sorcière Blanche et l'Armoir Magique by CS Lewis
Harry Potter et de vises sten by JK Rowling

and I could go on and on, but there's no way I'll be reading all of these. I have to read those French and Swedish books to practice for my matriculation exams, so I hope I'll get at least them read.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sun May 30, 2010 10:19 am
Jasmine Hart says...

Hmm... I like this list idea...let's see...

Ok so this ended up like eighty-three books long, so I'm going to whittle it down...

The Master Colm Toibín
Mansfield Park Jane Austen
Slammerkin Emma Donoghue
The Sealed Letter Emma Donoghue
Georgia Under Water Heather Sellers
Emma Jane Austen
Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte
Heroes and Villains Angela Carter
Some of the Sherlock Holmes Stories, Arthur Conan Doyle
In A Café Mary Lavin
The Strings Are False Louis MacNeice
What the Dickens Gregory Maguire
A Lion Among Men Gregory Maguire
Mercy Jodi Picoult
House Rules Jodi Picoult
Change of Heart Jodi Picoult
Vanishing Acts Jodi Picoult
Salem Falls Jodi Picoult
Plain Truth Jodi Picoult
Picture Perfect Jodi Picoult
Songs of the Humpback Whale Jodi Picoult
On the Pleasure of Hating Willaim Hazlitt
Ten Out of Ten Meg Cabot
The Life of Langston Hughes Arnold Rampersad
Skippy Dies Paul Murray
Brooklyn Colm Toibín
The Heather Blazing Colm Toibín
Love and Summer Willaim Trevor
Stories by William Trevor
Worst Fears Fay Weldon
Reread The Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows
The House of Special Purpose John Boyne
The Long Winded Lady Maeve Brennan
Spindrift Vona Groarke
The Catcher in the Rye J.D Salinger
The Curious Inciident of the Dog in the Night-time Mark Haddon
On the Road Jack Keroac
The Way We Live Now Anthony Trollope
The Colour Purple Alice Walker
Life of Pi Yann Martel
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest Ken Kesey
Memoirs of a Geisha Arthur Golden
The Taming of the Shrew Shakespeare
Romeo and Juliet Shakespeare
The Winter's Tale Shakespeare
Voyage in the Dark Jean Rhys
My Life Lyn Hejinian
The Handmaid's TaleMargaret Atwood
The Lovely BonesAlice Sebold

Obviously I won't get all that read...but it's nice to have a list of the things I want to read.

And Things Fall Apart and The Boy In the Striped Pajamas are great.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sun May 30, 2010 1:24 pm
Jagged says...

Meshugenah wrote: And Jagged! Dare I ask what fanfic? :P I'm very close to letting it devour some of my summer reading time, see.

Right now I'm pretty deep into Sherlock Holmes fandom, because it seems like it's having Sturgeon's Law applied in reverse: 10% crap, 90% great. No fanfic in particular, there's a ton of them being written and they're mostly shorts, mostly I'm just following the Livejournal communities and enjoying the ride.
That said, if you'd like some recommendations/links, I'd be happy to share. Anything in particular you like? Fandom, genre, length? I've been lurking around in a lot of fandoms: Harry Potter, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Watchmen, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Axis Powers: Hetalia, Star Trek...
Last edited by Jagged on Sun May 30, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun May 30, 2010 1:39 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Meshugenah wrote:And Lauren, which translation of Inferno?

Uhm... the book says "translated by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow" if that's what you mean.
Got YWS?

268 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Adnamarine says...

So, I'm adding to this list the books I've already read, which weren't on my list, but I'm pretty much going by whatever the library has. I read The Book Thief and Catcher in the Rye (on my list) and Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk) and My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Piccoult). Next I'm gonna work on A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines, 1984 by George Orwell, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, and Kite Runner.

And Mesh! (now that I finally saw that post XD) If you want, PM me and I'll let you know what I thought of them! (what I've read so far XD)

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:51 pm
Blink says...

Well, I'm basically the slowest/laziest reader in the world, but here's what I have to/intend to read. ^^

For English Lit:

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
Agnes Grey - Anne Bronte
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Affinity - Sarah Waters
Hamlet - Shakespeare
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

For History:

Napoleon, France and Europe - Dylan Rees
Britain: Foreign Affairs, 1919-1939 - Hodder Murray
Empire - Niall Ferguson

For my leisure:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Schindler's Ark - Thomas Keneally
Amsterdam - Ian McEwan

Yeah, that won't be happening.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

268 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:20 pm
Adnamarine says...

People need to stop taunting me with thoughts of North and South! XD My library doesn't have it, and I badly want to read it. =/

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:06 pm
Meshugenah says...

Adna, let me introduce you to my favorite aspect of the internet - public domain books. N&S = old. Thus, public domain. Thus, it's free online! You can nab it here, among other places! I have a slowly growing database of free online links, so if that doesn't work, hit me up for another!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind