Young Writers Society

A Reflection of our Newbie Selfs

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:09 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Exactly one week from today, I will have been on YWS for six months. In honor of that, I have decided to create this thread. It would be awesome if you could just take
In it, reflect back. How did you hear about YWS? What were your first impressions of the site? Why did you join it? Were there any extremely embarrassing moments that you had? In addition, you may talk about other people. Did you greet someone who eventually became a YWS legend? Were they really trouble making as a noob?
I'll start.

Well, for me, it was finally summer. I had gotten out of school and was off to spend the first couple weeks of summer with my dad in Chicago. I was browsing this one discussion on a small writing forum about how there were so many literary works with no reviews.
Someone wrote this.

It's not like Young Writer's Society, where they make you do two reviews before posting a literary work.

I curious, decided to take a look, and I've been hooked ever sense. Embarrassing moment: I applied for instructor when I had about six reviews, all along these lines.

That was so good but I think you should mention something about this yea bye.

So, yeah! Take a minute and gets some laughs by sharing our noob moments.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:25 am
View Likes
FlyingInEbony says...

Hi Elinor! I've been a member of YWS for only one and half months, so I still can be considered a newbie, but I've had my share of memories... For example, my most embarrassing moment was when I decided to visit chat in the Lounge; I started typing in a word like "darn", or something along these lines (apparently I got carried away on some kind of a topic), and then, when I posted it, it read "I love you." I'm like "Does typing in *darn* "I love you" posts it as "I love you"? That's was awkward... :smt095 Makes sense though. This is a forum for correct grammar and punctuation and clean language. I found this website in 'Google' search, and I never expected it to be so good... Everyone is so helpful and nice here, don't you think? :smt055
Last edited by FlyingInEbony on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You stand on the brink of greatness. The world will open to you like an oyster. No... not like an oyster. The world will open to you like a magnificent vagina." - "Bullets over Broadway", Woody Allen, Douglas McGrath

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 am
Kamas says...

Lol, I think I win for newbness. Like by far.

/Epic Win

Also I found it from a reference from a friend who at the time I thought was a fantastic poet. Now it's been a year, and I'm still hooked.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I'm still pretty much a newbies. :D
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 am
FlyingInEbony says...

Nice, Kamas! I didn't think anybody could top me... :smt118

Aspiring, nice to meet you, I'm Chisel!
"You stand on the brink of greatness. The world will open to you like an oyster. No... not like an oyster. The world will open to you like a magnificent vagina." - "Bullets over Broadway", Woody Allen, Douglas McGrath

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 am
captain.classy says...

Kamas, no one will beat you. That's a little embarrassing!

I love it!! haha

Classy

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 pm
Stori says...

I've been here for about three years. I'll check the "joined" date in my profile.

Most embarrassing moment has to have been a chat discussion on
Tolkien's poetry. I put my foot in my mouth by saying, "Most of his
poetry doesn't rhyme." Which it does!

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:54 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I remember I was one of those...overenthusiastic members who joined and didn't introduce themselves in the Welcome Area, just went right on ahead and posted something. Unfortunately, the 2:1 ratio was still followed back then and I was quickly corrected. Also, I double posted in my enthusiasm. Soon enough I went to the welcome area and calmed down. xD

I found YWS searching "young writers" or something along those lines on Google. :D Yay Google!

P.S. Kamas xD Do you still really really really need points? Moo? Mooooo? :P
Got YWS?

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:16 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Cheese

EDIT: I didn't know how long I have been here so I had to put above word, submit it then check. I joined September 27, 2009. I remember the first time I was onb here as a member I didn't know what the Welcoming Area or Mat (see, still a newbie in some ways!) was, so I just ignored it and went straight to chat. I got kicked out for 15 minutes for spamming the chat room with the Star-Spangled Banner, then I think it was the Hannah Montana song.
I was such a child back then *looks past the horizon wistfully*. Everything I wrote was in chat form because I was on my new AIM kick, so I was a bit obsessed with that stuff. I got like 3 PMs from moderators telling me not to use chat speak, but I didn't know how to work the PM system and just ignored them. Then I went back to the chat room and spammed them up with what was it, John Jacob Jingle Himer Smith over and over until I got kicked out for a week :( Then I forgot about YWS for a while then one day I logged back in and spread terror once more..just kidding. Kamas, that was hilarious. Cows rock *Fist pump*
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 pm
lilymoore says...

It's terrible but I honestly can't remember my newbdome. I kinda...blended in. *wishes to be a newb*

Unless someone remembers something...in that case, let me know.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:54 am
View Likes
Hkumar says...

Hey! I have joined YWS just 2 months ago and still exploring this site. It has already been a part of my daily routine to login here and go through these awesome literary works here. The people here have so far been really kind and encouraging.

I had joined the literary club in my college and there in one of the writing sessions we were encouraged by our seniors to sign up on YWS because it is the perfect place to develop ourselves as a writer. I am glad I did.

Because of my college work load I don't get much time to write stuffs but still atleast I try to spend sometime going through other people's work here and it's always a pleasure to do it.
Most of the people here are so good as a writer and I kind of feel embarassed that I am still so naive. I wished I had come across this place earlier. :)
I only put my signature on big cheques.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

I actually found YWS just by searching up "writing site for kids". This one was the first to pop up so... yup.

I knew I had an interest in writing stories and wanted to share them and get feedback from someone other than myself (ha) so I joined the site and really liked it. Still here after four years. :D

My newbdom was pretty uneventful. I don't remember doing anything super humiliating, but just kinda lurked around the site until I figured out how to do stuff.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Hi Eleanor! Nice to meet you! I'm also new-ish.

I was bored and wanted to connect with some writers so I thought, I wonder if there is a society for young writers, so I typed 'young writers society' into google, and hey look there is!

Embarrassing moments? This isn't really embarrassing, but one of my favourite moments was when someone in chat was calling me wise and said 'you're a modern day confucius,' to which I replied 'what's a confucius?'

Did I greet someone who became a YWS legend? All of my YWS friends are legends.
We were born to be amazing.

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina