z

Young Writers Society

Wash. Preschoolers Given Dog Food To Eat

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:33 pm
Nate says...

TACOMA, Wash. Dec 10, 2004 — A teaching assistant gave some preschoolers dog food to eat during a play-acting exercise at Northeast Tacoma Elementary School. A Tacoma School District spokeswoman said the children spat out the dry dog food and no one suffered any ill effects.

The teaching assistant has been placed on paid leave pending an investigation.

District spokeswoman Patti Holmgren said it happened Monday in an early education class while the supervisor was out of the room.

When a few of the students pretended to be puppies, getting down on their hands and knees and barking, the assistant attempted to encourage their playacting. She fetched a packet of dry dog food from another room and placed bits on paper plates on the floor.

The dog food came from a display intended to teach the preschoolers what not to eat, Holmgren said.

School Principal Pat Flores learned about the incident Tuesday after a parent complained. In a letter sent Wednesday to parents, Flores called the event "unfortunate."

- Associated Press
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=320559

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:50 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Hehehe, although she shouldn't have done that, its not THAT big of a deal. Dog food isn't that bad, except Purina Dog Chow *shakes fist*. If the dog food was on display of what NOT to eat, why did she give them it if it was for NOT eating, that could actually incourage them to eat more dog food.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 am
Sam says...

yeah...that's what I don't get!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage