Young Writers Society

Chinese socks vs. American socks

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:54 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

It is a pretty hard time for American Sock-makers. Chinese production of socks is currently at 670 million pairs a year.

The Chinese are currently utilizing a clustering system that has all the products necessary for the production of socks in one place, which reduces shipping time.

President Bush has imposed limits on the amount of socks that the Chinese can sell in the US.

The question is: should the US take down the restrictions? Or should we keep our socks "American Made"?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:56 am
View Likes
Sam says...

*slaps forehead* In VIP, I didn't think you were being serious...

American socks are less itchy. And they smell like plastic bags. WHO DOES NOT WANT THAT IN A SOCK? C'mon.

I say keep the restrictions!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:57 am
View Likes
Galatea says...

*blinks* millions of people are starving world wide, Sudan is falling apart at the seams, HIV and AIDS infection is growing at an alarming rate and Bush is worried about socks???

Besides, he might as well give in. China's going to own us very soon. They're going to own everything very soon.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:01 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

To be fair to President Bush, it isn't one of the high priority things. It is something that needs to be done though.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:15 am
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

Oh My GOD!!!! CHINESE SOCKS ARE RUINING AMERICA'S SOCK ECONOMY!!!
I suppose now Bush'll be saying Chinese food can only be limited in restuaunts to chicken wings and fried rice...

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:19 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I don't think he'll mind, as long as the money is going to Americans, not Chinese.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:35 am
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

My my what a greedy country we are. and the only reason we have all theses little trinkets like mcdonalds toys made in china is because our money is worth more than theirs. so a buck could pay a gal for like... 4 hours or something.... i know that a kids meal in mcdonalds in china was 18 yuan :P and u have to buy the toy seperately, THAT'S A WAY TO MAKE MONEY

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:52 am
Snoink says...

The story is only available for registered members. *grumbles*

However, from what you've told me about it so far, I'm at a loss. However, there's one thing going for us Americans: Chinese labor isn't as cheap as it was. Their currency has been revamped, so their currency is about the same as the dollar. This means more jobs here and less jobs there.

I say, let the market go. The socks made in China are probably the same quality as here, and it looks like, with the new currency change, that the socks in America might be a little bit more sought after.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:13 am
View Likes
sabradan says...

I like the American socks. Those are the only ones I buy, simply because of comfort. So, I say let free trade reign. Oh, and Gal, about the Chinese owning us soon enough, there was a political cartoon in the Chicago Jewish star about that. I'll see if I can scan it and put it up.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:23 am
View Likes
Galatea says...

Heehee, thanks.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:18 pm
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

But...socks are awesome.

Whats the difference between American and Chinese socks anyway?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:09 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

I think I'll stick to Canadian socks. But think about this. Right now I'm using AOL, my pencil says USA on it, and I'm reading a novel by an American author. They have McDonald's all over China. They drink Coke all over the world. In Japan and England, they watch American movies. Heck, the British sitcom My Family makes references to American movie stars and the occassional author regularly. Despite being a primarily New Zealand movie, The Lord of the Rings had to go to Hollywood to be able to get the funding needed to make a movie of that scale, and the main character was played by an American (though he was perfect for the role, so I'm not complaining). I could probably come up with other examples, though most of them would be Canadian, but I won't right now. The point is, people use American things all over the world, so why shouldn't Americans use things made by non-American companies? If Californian's bought rice from China instead of growing their own, they wouldn't be depleting their water basins nearly as much.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Reviews: 0
Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:45 pm
View Likes
ScottyBlarg says...

Chinese people should keep their socks, they have more feet. :lol:
Mmm, coffee.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:19 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

I don't care really, as long as I have socks I'm alright!! xD

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:48 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Reichieru wrote:I think I'll stick to Canadian socks. But think about this. Right now I'm using AOL, my pencil says USA on it, and I'm reading a novel by an American author. They have McDonald's all over China. They drink Coke all over the world. In Japan and England, they watch American movies. Heck, the British sitcom My Family makes references to American movie stars and the occassional author regularly. Despite being a primarily New Zealand movie, The Lord of the Rings had to go to Hollywood to be able to get the funding needed to make a movie of that scale, and the main character was played by an American (though he was perfect for the role, so I'm not complaining). I could probably come up with other examples, though most of them would be Canadian, but I won't right now. The point is, people use American things all over the world, so why shouldn't Americans use things made by non-American companies? If Californian's bought rice from China instead of growing their own, they wouldn't be depleting their water basins nearly as much.

Buying things from other countries (with the exception of France and other hostile nations) isn't a bad thing. However, there is a difference from buying and being bought out. Is it a good thing if American Industry is put out of business by Chinese industry?

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain