z

Young Writers Society

What In The Jiminy Cricket Is Twilight?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 am
Todge says...

I havn't read the books as I don't see myself enjoying them, just a personal taste, and as fr the film it isn't out in the UK yet however I have heard from overseas that the film is just soul destroying its that bad

So due to reviews like that I didn't really want to read it however I do want to find a good series of fantasy books to read I don't think Twilight fits the bill

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 pm
niccy_v says...

Was published in 2005
So not so new.

I only read Twilight August 20. By the 23rd i had all 4 books completed. After that i had a brief moment of supreme delight at completing them in 3 days but then plunged when i realised it was not actually that overly good. I mean yay i read them so fast but i was suddenly behind in school and massively tired... for vampires??? hmm i have issues
I mean, vamps are hot YAY and they sparkle WOO but... Breaking Dawn was a pretty unrealistic ending to wrap it all up. Though the movie DESTROYED it!!! rahh!

I'm amazed the movie sold so much actually.

Quote my friends: :I never knew Twilight was a comedy
(referring to the spider monkey particularly)

Then again i
- have 2 twilight shirts (one team edward one team jacob,.. i am a bit of both)
- massive poster on my wall of edwards overly sexy face

heh heh
Writing gives my life purpose

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:06 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I'm with Nate on this issue of confusion. Seriously, I didn't know these things existed until May of this year, and then suddenly it is this huge phenomenon. I'm curious as to what caused the explosion of popularity, considering the things started being published in, what, 2005?

I've read all four books and seen the movie, mainly at the behest of my friends. They lent me the books and pressured me to read them and they dragged me along with them to the movies. It's scary, the way it has taken over the girls at my school. Even my female teachers (all but one) are obsessed with the books (which I found highly disturbing, by the way - I was hoping that intelligent mature women such as them would see the flaws in the characters and storyline, but no, apparently not).

I'm pretty neutral (I don't spit at the mention of the books or anything) but I intensely dislike the books, mainly because of the character relations. Seriously, the only character I like in any way shape or form is Carlisle. Seriously, I think this book is dangerous for the kind of relationships it promotes. What kind of message is it sending to teenage girls? That stalker-overcontrolling-boyfriends are a good thing? Eesh...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:53 am
Incognito says...

Well, I knew the stories for about a year and a half now. I first read Twilight in July of 2007 and I enjoyed it then. I even waited for the other books to come out and then all of a sudden it just got big and I just lost interest in it because people were so obsessive over it. I had never really read any vampire books then and I thought it was an awesome idea. Then I read Breaking Dawn and that book destroyed the series for me. That was a horrible ending and I was expecting so much more from it.

Then when I read Interview with the Vampire by Ann Rice, I was blown away and Twilight seemed like a piece of junk to me. I lost all sastifaction from reading that series. They were also extremely easy reads and had very simple story lines. A lot of the characters in that novel were unoriginal and personally my opinion totally changed then.

I haven't even seen the movie yet and I have no wish to because people are so obsessive over it, and I find Robert Pattison isn't all that hot like so many of my friends say. If they make a movie for New Moon, I will shake my head in shame because that series to me, is horrible. It was childish and horrible dull compared to Ann Rice. At the moment I am reading 'The Family' by Mario Puzo and even that is better then the Twilight series.

So be glad that you never heard if it until now. Twilight is just another series of books for girls to obsess over. Twilight has become over used and over played and I personally am sick of hearing about it.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
LilyJamey says...

Meh.
Somewhere in the month of November...

My friend came to school with Twilight, and told me she was currently obsessed with Edward Cullen. I borrowed it to read. Unfortunately, I gave up on the "I never gave much thought.." (or something of that sort). It was kind of boring.

Then I watched the movie. I liked it somewhat.. (don't kill me). It was 90% comedy and 10% romance in my mind. And I liked the songs. So I plucked the nerve to read the book (and skip the prologue. Once bitten, twice shy.). I didn't like it. Excess fluff. So I tried it again - and again - and again -

To no avail. I still didn't like it. Then I went to this bookshop and read New Moon.

It almost had me barfing by the first chappie. I wanted to choke both Bella and Edward. The way they always say how wrong they are for each other really got on my nerves, nyway. But I don't HATE it. I just... dislike it.

I can't believe you guys never heard about it! It's been all the rage! I might not like it, but I was always the weirdo who read Oscar Wilde at school when others gossiped. I think by now, 99.99% of my friends are drooling over it. Except you guys, of course.
Got YWS?

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:26 pm
niccy_v says...

It was 90% comedy and 10% romance in my mind
LilyJamey

Yeah, because it had to be rated PG (I think?)

If they do a Harry Potter, and if they make it as far as Breaking Dawn for a movie, that will be an M. They can't keep them all PG I mean seriously, the fans will want them to kiss more and have more lovey dovey relationship stuff, because that's the main structure on it! Without the intimate relationship Twilight is just boring.
Maybe because I am a sucker for romance? Oh wells. The ratings for each movie will do what HP did - keep going up and up until they're MA or something like that. Who knows?

But I refuse to compare the movie and book because there's nothing to compare.

What happened to the blood sampling? I mean, seriously! That was soo cool!!! *cries*
Writing gives my life purpose

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:57 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

Funny the things you stumble upon. 2008 was a simpler time, right @Nate?
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien