z

Young Writers Society

What In The Jiminy Cricket Is Twilight?

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:17 am
peanut19 says...

I hate to say this after reading all the other posts but... I happen to like Twilight!! As for you Nate I think you have been living under a rock since about August. I think Stephenie Meyer wrote a great series and highly recommend it. The movie was okay but I wouldn't really want any one to go out of their way to see it. I think they changed to much about the book for the movie, mostly just little things but those are the things that bug me the most. Read the books they are very good.
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:22 am
OverEasy says...

I agree with Jig. Twilight was a pathetic attempt to "out do" Buffy. Which we all know, cannot be done. Obviously.

(That wasn't scarcastic I really don't think Buffy can ever be out done)
Life is for living.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:27 am
Squall says...

alwaysawriter wrote:I couldn't agree more, Jig. You're lucky you don't live in the US; I heard about Twilight the entire ride to school this morning. :x

If I were to ever watch the movie or read the books, everyone would think that I've gone mental. :P

-always

I never knew that teens in the USA are that (for lack of a better word) naive. At my school, people care much more talking about their friendship, what they did during the weekened and their school work lol. No one gives a rat's tail about Twilight where I live. The most I've ever seen of Twilight in my school is during sit down lunch where I saw a group of girls talking and three of the nine had the novel in their lap. But they weren't talking about the book, they were talking about friend related matters.

I don't have a problem with people reading Twilight ( I read it before and it isn't as bad as some people here on YWS exaggerate it to be), but an effort should be made to help teens see past these teenage stereotypes; that their lives are not confined to them and that life itself should be cherished for the many opportunities it holds for an individual. With that said, the hardships and difficulties one faces in their teenage years shouldn't be ignored either.

I believe that's the reason why it's so overhyped in the states.

Andy.
Last edited by Squall on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:29 am
Snoink says...

springrain2693 wrote: The movie is horrible :)

XD

I love how you say that with a smile...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:37 am
Inksplatter says...

I honestly have not read the book nor seen the movie, so I am going to be bias and say that it was a foolhardy attempt at Buffy.
The author had a good plotline, but totally ruined it with the excerpts, and all the publicity.
I haven't read it as I said before, but I already know how the whole series ends.. it's all over the news and internet. It kind of spoils it.
All in all, Twilight is a romantic novel about vampires that has outdone itself :D

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:55 am
Demeter says...

Squall wrote:No one gives a rat's tail

That expression's pure love.

//Edit: My subscribtion of a Finnish Seventeen-kind magazine, Demi (!), arrived today, and when I was happily settled down to read it, I notice this huge article about the "most desirable movie of the year". Guesses, anyone? Oh yes. Twilight.

It's taking over the world.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I've seen ten people with Twilight t-shirts today. I can't stand it.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:11 am
Tatra says...

Twilight even took over the adds for this topic. It looks kind of silly, though, with that cupped hands and the apple popping in and out of the add.

On the actual topic of Twilight, I'm not going to read it until I get free copies of the books. I don't like books with the plot based on romance. I don't mind romance, I just don't like it as my plot. :D
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:42 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

peanut19 wrote:I hate to say this after reading all the other posts but... I happen to like Twilight!! As for you Nate I think you have been living under a rock since about August. I think Stephenie Meyer wrote a great series and highly recommend it. The movie was okay but I wouldn't really want any one to go out of their way to see it. I think they changed to much about the book for the movie, mostly just little things but those are the things that bug me the most. Read the books they are very good.
~peanut~

I thought the movie was better than the book. Because nowhere in the movie did Bella faint, hyperventilate, or say "You dazzle me." And Edward never said anything like "You're intoxicated by my very presence." Because it makes perfect sense that a 108-year-old vampire who has never known love and who has no self-esteem would say that to a teenage girl he wants to eat all the time.

Sorry. *rant over*

Forget the books. Go see the movie. Slightly cheesy special effects, but good acting and cool colored contacts.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:06 am
Ethan- says...

I think it's true, twilight is taking over the world and may have progressed up the scale blazingly fast even as we speak. We need to do something! Anything! Because it's sounding more and more like an outbreak. There's report saying that people bashed each other because of it for example; one girl try to 'twilight' her friend but then her friend said no and then they started to pound each other's face. Then there was this guy who asked one of his friend to read twilight but the friend said the book suck and both of them engaged in a heated punching fiesta later. I'm sorry, all of it probably weren't true but from what I heard and seen on the internet, things are getting crazy because of twilight. Try checking out the book and author section of yahoo answer. It is littered with twilight discussion...twilight this...twilight that...
hey, suggest me a good book to read... go read twilight
I like James Patterson books, what other books similar to the Maximum Ride...go read twilight
I like Shakespeare...go read twilight
I like JK Rowling, can you help me find similar author...sure, go read twilight
You know what, i wanted to read the twilight series but their fans have spoiled every inch of the book for me and now i can barely look at the book without having goosebumps. I'm sorry, I'm ranting here...better stop now.
Do cats eat bats?
Do cats eat bats...Do bats eat cats?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:45 pm
niteowl says...

Yeah, I enjoyed the books (even if they weren't my favorite) but the way everyone latched on to it like is rather confounding.

On a slightly random aside, the bulletin board in the elevator lobby on my floor had a list of "new books" to read because it is apparently New Book Month. So I looked at the list and saw some odd ones, but the weirdest one was Twilight, under the "Paperback Advice" column. It was by a different author, some Mark Cotto Vas. Curious, I looked it up...and it was the guide to the movie. I really hope no one's actually getting advice from that. :P
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Random avatar

Reviews: 25
Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:25 pm
Hypocrit says...

It's how prebuscent self-deceiving emotionally unstable white middle class suburban girls get their rocks off without suicide girls, or before they're old enough to know.

It's also marked by the fact it is incredibly bad, so bad that it's possible to go through, find every description, point out it's flaws, and then self-edit for a story that still comes off terribly trite(for plot reasons), but sounds little less like it's fan-base and a little more like Ann Rice.

...And no, that's not a complement to Rice.
You know how dumb the average guy is, right? Well, mathematically, by definition, half of them are even dumber than that.
JR ‘Bob’ Dobbs

TW's Red Cross Blue Shield. A CRITIQUE FOR EVERY YWSIAN!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:41 am
HarlequinJester says...

It's a series written by a grown woman, even though it seems like a teenager's embarassing day dream. Vampires ripping open their love's stomachs to deliver children and I quote here 'pouring fountains of blood' during your pregnancy with a vampire baby is seen as romantic. Catch me, I'm swooning.

Personally, the film is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Hands down.

If a face palm was ever more required for a film and book of such epic failure as this one, that would be a world record.
*face palm*
Twilight: Real men don't sparkle.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:24 am
Aet Lindling says...

LOL TWILIGHT

Also I just realized that my current signature:

His skin literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface. He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare."

'Nuff said, amirite?

could be interpreted as something talking about how amazing Edward is by a Twihard. In fact, I bet someone has already misinterpreted it as such. D:

I should probably add some sort of an explanation.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:55 am
Mars says...

Actually, I would have thought you were an Edward fan if you hadn't edited it :D. Haha, I didn't know there were actually nicknames-Twihard and Twihater.

I'm a Twi...nothing.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal