z

Young Writers Society

What In The Jiminy Cricket Is Twilight?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:06 pm
Nate says...

Where in the world did this series come from? I never even heard about it until this past summer, and I didn't think it was all that big until South Park made fun of it this past week. I've already googled it, so I have a good idea of what it's about, but it's like it just came out of the blue. Has it been around for years?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:09 pm
Juniper says...

No! It's all fairly new. I believe it was the end of last year when it started to get famous, but it bothers me... first it was Harry Potter witch-fiction and now Twilight vampires!? HP was better because there were fewer grammatical errors... but twilight in my opinion is a failure; I'm sorry. I normally don't say that about anyones writing, but if you lose your friends to a fantasy creature who is a blood-sucking-vampire, it's pretty sad xD.
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:00 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Where did Twilight come from? The black pits of literary hell. It features unrealistic characters and tedious descriptions of beautiful people/vampires/werewolves. That's it in a nutshell.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:15 pm
Meshugenah says...

But, but! The vampire sparkles!

*nods*
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:22 pm
Prokaryote says...

Yeah, it really only came to my attention a couple months ago. I have looked into it and determined it is trash. But lots of people seem to like it. Which is okay -- I think we all deserve some crap fiction to indulge in.

Besides, when it becomes cool to hate something, it just gets boring. *shrug* I continue to direct all my hate towards HP7.

Pork

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:47 pm
JabberHut says...

*nods*

And it scintillates! O:
I make my own policies.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:50 pm
Blink says...

It's a series about a dwarven princess who becomes a fat elf. She has a fight with her inner self about toenails and pink varnish every morning, but then one day, six old women come to her with shotguns and they all live happily ever after.

Or it might as well be.

(ps: I don't actually think it's that bad =) )
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:11 pm
Angel of Death says...

*nods*

And it scintillates! O:

Let's not forget that it dazzles.

Nate, as a fan of Twilight, I can personally give you the up and up. Its about a normal girl named Bella Swan who falls in love with Edward, a good vampire. There is action, romance, and it is written really well. Also, Edward dazzles people! You should read it and go see the movie (it was good)

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:17 pm
Stori says...

"Good vampire" is a contradiction in terms. The only good one is a dead one. (or should I say "undead?")

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

1464 Reviews

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:16 pm
Juniper says...

Haha, poor Nate! Yes, there's a movie, it just opened yesterday. And I don't recommend watching it; and if you do watch it away from the theater because there will be plenty of girls screaming in delight at the vampires and you wont be able to hear :D.

The movie is horrible :)
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:39 pm
Clo says...

As horrible and everywhere as Twilight is, it caters to every insecurity and dream a typical twelve year old girl has. A oh-so normal teenage girl with divorced parents who meets a supernatural boy (even better! Better than the rest) who loves her without any conditions.

Preteen delight, served in a 4-part series plate, with a side of movie.

There is an immature enjoyable quality to the books, if you like to tap into that inner "Squeeee!" or want to be amused over something as corny as .... a field of corn...
How am I not myself?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:37 pm
Demeter says...

Ugh. Twilight.

I've only read the first one. I could maybe appreciate it more if I didn't hear a "Yay! Twilight! Edward! Wheeeeee!" everywhere I go.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:31 pm
Jiggity says...

The movie took in $70 million at the US Box Office.

I tell you, I am getting tired of the pre-teen and teen girls of America! First you unleashed High School Musical on the world (my skin crawls every time I see those singing freaks) and now Twilight - a trashy, bastardized rip-off of Buffy. Teenage girl falling in love with vampire - psh, its so been done and in a much better way too.

Buffy rules.

Twilight sucks.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:56 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I couldn't agree more, Jig. You're lucky you don't live in the US; I heard about Twilight the entire ride to school this morning. :x

If I were to ever watch the movie or read the books, everyone would think that I've gone mental. :P

-always
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron