Young Writers Society

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

This is kind of hard to do for me, 'cause I don't really like to dream big? One, because life takes unexpected turns, and two, because the things I want today I might not want in a year, never mind ten years. That, and that good 'ol fear of disappointment keeps me from looking too high into the clouds HA! *slaps knee and cries pathetically* But uh, I'll write some things I guess. It's cool to look back at what everyone else wrote so... yeah!

I'll be 31 in ten years. That sounds like a long time, but I have a feeling it'll fly by in a minute.

I'd like to have one book published. The one I'm working on now. I want to have it in paper, in my hands. A book I can show to people and say I made it, and they can read it, and I can feel like I finished something.

I'd like to be a better person than I am now. And I know that sounds like the most non-specific thing in the universe, but I hope that my heart will have grown - that I'll have a greater capacity to love more people with more of my heart and to not hold back out of self-preservation, fear of rejection, and all the things that hold me back now. And like, I'd hope this would happen more than 10 yrs into the future, but I'd also like to just be... more confident in my identity. More confident in general.

I'd like to be able to give more financially. Whatever that looks like. Financial stability sounds nice, but I'm not worried about it.

I'm kind of just "meh" about marriage and kids at this point. I like being single quite a lot, but if I were to fall in love, I wouldn't fight it. Or - well, I would (LOL), but I'm just saying I don't know where I'd be at with that, and I'm just kind of like... well, whatever happens, happens. No goals in that arena. At this point, I don't really want to be married. It's not like, a strong desire in my heart so. Who knows. We'll see.

I'd like to have different people in my life though where I'm speaking into their lives. Younger people, kids, teens, whatever. If I could ever mentor or just help people in any capacity - with just... life things - I'd wanna do that.

I'd also like to still be connected with my siblings and parents. Close to my sisters and brother. Have a better relationship with my dad.

And I'd wanna still be doing the job I'm doing in missions, God willing. I'd like to be proficient in playing guitar and piano, know music theory, and maybe actually get the hang of harmonica. Leading worship, maybe having a team.

It'd also be nice to have an album or two out of songs, professionally recorded and mixed. I'd really like that...

yeah.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:35 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Alive? Alive is preferable?

Best case scenario, I have that Master's in Nuclear Chemistry from the Colorado School of Mines, and I'm working at a government laboratory, but lol I'm fine with a lot of intermediates.

Other stuff includes

-get some poetry published (and maybe a short story or two)
-play piano in front of an audience (no, the people sitting ten feet away in brown hall don't count)
-suck less
-figure out this whole 'real world' thing
-survive college and survive a job
-grow up a little bit
-etc.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:52 am
View Likes
Carina says...

@soundofmind
gurl you better let me know when your album drops cuz it's gonna be straight fire
(I really hope I look at this 10 years from now and see how much today's lingo has changed... will this be equivalent of me saying it's radical/tubular? HMMMM)

@TheSilverFox
It's interesting that you're looking into a nuclear field with a government lab, because weirdly enough, that's probably what I'm going to be doing soon, minus the Master's and nuclear major, lol. Good luck! Tough, but worth it.

Annnnnyways, I love writing time capsules to myself, so I hope we can resurrect this thread again ten years from now to see if this came true. whisperwhisper *plz let YWS still be alive*

• Stable career. Obviously I'd have already graduated with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering since that's happening in 6 months (omg WHAT), and I see my life forking in two paths: work in a nuclear plant on the West Coast, or work in a government nuclear facility on the East Coast. Right now, I'm leaning towards the East Coast, mostly because I'd likely stay there long-term, and also because of my next point...
  • Marriage. I'm almost certain I'd marry my current boyfriend of almost 5 years. by then (Which, btdubs, he's working in the government facility on the East Coast right now.) In fact, we've talked about getting married in a court house right away to save thousands of dollars on taxes, and then using that money to pay for a real wedding a few years down the road lol hashtag working-the-system. We're prety anti-stereotypical-cookie-cut-weddings that include diamond engagement rings and a $1000 wedding cake, so honestly, I can see my wedding taking place along a quiet beach with ~30 people we're close with, sharing stories and sipping champagne while we reminisce our younger days. But that's a story for another day. :P
  • No kids yet. I don't want to have kids at least until I'm 30, and even that is kind of young for me >_> boi I worked hard for my degree, so I want to focus on my career first.
  • Owned business. I'd like to one day make my own business with my partner, so hopefully ten years from now, we'd have some kind of business idea. Bonus points if we actually execute it.
  • Owned property. I'd love to have owned a house or duplex (own, then rent the other half) by the time I'm 30. Gotta get on that property investment game, yo.
  • Spoil myself with my hobbies. I'd love to have a whole room of my house devoted to a music studio and a writing/study area! Obviously, this means I'd have to actively play my violin and write a lot. Oh, and YWS. That counts as a hobby, right? :p
  • Nerd out. I''ll definitely be moving away from friends and family, but I think I can easily make a bunch of friends with my peers from work. Hopefully I'll have at least made a few great friends that we'll nerd out and have weekly ultimate DnD sessions. And by ultimate, I mean we're going big. I'd want to own a 3D printer so we can print out our characters and maps (in pieces, like legos, that we can build). It'll be so nerdy... omg I can't wait
  • Stay connected. Even though I'll move away from almost everyone I know, I'd like to remain in contact with my close friends and family. So, visit at least once a year, since I'll have to take a plane. now

lol this sounds like New Years resolutions
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

So in 10 years time I will be 31... which seriously seems like a proper grown up, yikes.

I'd like to think I'll be living overseas or at least have had spent a fair amount of time abroad. Hopefully I'll be done with uni (I mean, I should be done with undergrad in the next couple of years lol, but if I go on to do masters or something) and have a job that isn't retail/hospitality. Something that allows for a bit of travel would be awesome, maybe something language-related or working for an NGO or something that promotes education or opportunities for women in disadvantaged areas or just generally doing something that doesn't make the world worse appeals to me as well. But I really don't know??? I'm thinking of teaching English overseas somewhere after uni so maybe I might be doing something along those lines??

(Is it clear that I have no idea what I want to do with my life? Mainly I'd have ideally worked that out at least a little bit by then?)

I like to think I'd maybe be in a serious relationship by this point (or at least have had one or more)? Not married, necessarily, and I really doubt I'd have kids by this stage. But I'd like to be in love with someone. And I'd like to have a really close, tight-knit group of friends in my life.

I'd like to think I'm still being creative in some way? Still writing (hahahahaha let's pretend that I've written anything more than a couple of pages in the last couple of years, shall we?) and it'd be cool if I'd finished a novel, don't really care if it's published.

Oh, and hopefully I'll be able to speak a few more languages. I'll hopefully be way more fluent in French by then, and if I could be vaguely fluent in Russian as well that'd be wicked. Maybe I'll finally learn some German, and hopefully pick up some other languages, ideally by living in other countries.

So yep. Super vague. Hopefully I'll still drop by YWS from time to time.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am
View Likes
Eros says...

I wasn't even here when this thread was opened... And I wasn't knowing about this thread, until a few days before.

In my next ten years, I'll be 29 (eew) and would have completed my Masters in Chemistry and also probably PhD in it. I would have got a job as a lecture in some college and might also be taking coaching classes in chemistry for engineering and medical entrance examinations.
I will be having a brand new guitar and a piano and my dream car. I don't think, anyone would ever marry me, and some where inside I also don't want to get married... Even if I get married I don't at all want to have kids. I would also be having an Alaskan Dog, and chilling in the vacations.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

@Carina: Haha, cool! I'd probably end up working on the west coast (WEST COAST BEST COAST), but it'd be kinda neat to work in a government facility or laboratory. At the very least, I'd like a bachelors in Chemistry, which I could hopefully spin into either nuclear or pharmaceutical work? A lot of it's still up in the air, to be honest. xD
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 pm
View Likes
Bellarke says...

I see myself as a lonely 26 year old who works in a library, and has a cat and two dogs, living in a cabin in the forest, all alone, no love, just animals....
“Who we are and who we need to be to survive are very different things.”

~Bellamy Blake

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 pm
View Likes
SnowGhost says...

Well in 10 years from now (I'd be almost 25) I'll probably still be living with my parents, working at some crappy job until I'm satisfied with an amount of money I've saved. Okay but realistically I could never wait that long to move out

Then I would go to Disney World for Mickey Mouse's 100th birthday. Priorities man.
Hopefully after that I'd grow up haha nope and move out and get a place with my twin sister, oh and get a dog.
Hopefully by this time I would have something ready to publish too.

Later on I may go to Europe and then come home and finally grow up maybe go to school for God only knows what.

And hopefully, after all that time, I would have finally accepted the fact that Fluffy, my stuffed bear, is gone and never coming back.

Oh and hopefully I would have ridden in a hot air balloon by then. That'd be sweet.

pfft I said "hopefully" like so many time
Just killing time until time kills me.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Wow, I wish I had done this ten years ago! I really would love to know where fifteen year old me saw twenty-five year old me.

Twenty-five year old me sees thirty-five year old me in quite a boring way.

I will be married, because I'm getting married next year.

I plan on having my kids before I'm thirty-five 'cos I'm terrified of all those complication rates rising, so I will hopefully have three children, but I also do not take this one for granted because things can often be difficult to predict in that particular area.

I will be a GP, because I'm on the training scheme that will finish in 2022. Hopefully by then, I'll have my own practice in some shape or form, which I hope to open with a close friend but I suppose we'll see how those plans go. We would love to have a GP practice together and raise our young families together. But that all depends.

Boy may or may not be a consultant by then, it all depends on how long he decides to take getting to the top. Neither of us are in much of a rush career wise xD

We will probably be living in Ireland, either Dublin or Galway. I would love to move to Scotland for a couple of years in between times, but it really all depends on Brexit etc etc etc.

And maybe, hopefully, I'll have a novel published by then. Maybe even two!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:31 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Hmmm I guess I better do this, otherwise I'll regret in ten years.

31 year old me I hope will have more of a career down pat. But I can't say that for sure.

I think I'll hopefully be doing pretty good with my art- selling it and what-not but I don't expect that to be much more than a little bit of side income and fun. Who knows though!

I don't know if I'll have finished a novel, but I hope to be long finished a project that I'm only now starting on- which would involve some form of publishing whether it be self or otherwise.

I kinda hope I'm married by then! When my sister got engaged my bf was like "Are you jealous" ;) lol

And kids! I'm not sure about this one. I mean, my boyfriend wants to have kids quite late in life, but I want to have them more like in my late twenties early thirties... so, we'll have to see.

I also see myself *hopefully* owning some sort of house or something. Maybe that's too much to wish for but that's been a big goal of mine for the last couple years. So we'll see.

And I really can't see myself anywhere but Canada.
100% autistic

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:57 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I'm glad people are filling up this thread again! :)

Someone please tag me when it's been ten years so I can see what happens!

In 10 years I'll be 32 which doesn't seem all that much older than 22 - but significantly more adulty.

In 10 years I'll be done with this Master's degree program, and will maybe have started or finished a doctorate program too? If I don't end up going for a doctorate I'm cool with that.

I'm sure it'll be weird to not be in school after I've been at it so long, but I hope I'll still be learning and reading.

I want to have some research papers published by then, there's a few papers that I started in undergrad that I've continued to develop in grad school, and I would love love love to get those published some day.

I will hopefully be living in the same state as my sister or at least close enough to be able to easily make a day-trip to visit her - seems a bit sentimental I guess - but that's one of my life goals.

If I'm married I guess I might have children by then? My parents had me in their early 30s so that seems reasonable. But who knows!

Other random stuff, by 32 I hope I can have my life together enough to have paid off or almost have paid off my student debt (right now that's pretty do-able thank goodness), I want to be one of those adults who gardens or has a bunch of house plants (right now I have just one plant in my room), and I will hopefully be cooking less of my food in microwaves.

OH ALSO - by age 32 I hope I would have had a chance to finally have caught up with all of the seasons of Survivor so that I can finally watch the seasons as they come out rather than re-runs. #Goals
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:31 pm
View Likes
EternalRain says...

Okay, I'm a bit scared to do this but I guess I'll go ahead and write some thoughts down (if I didn't, I know I would regret it!).

In 10 years I'll be 26. (And ten years ago I was only 6... so that's a weird thought. Ten years seems like such a long time).

I currently don't really have any idea what I'll be doing with my life. Hopefully I'll be doing something with writing - if that's writing on the side or a full time author (uh! the dream! but probably not realistic!) or working in the publishing world perhaps. I've also started to recognize my love for psychology, so maybe I'll be doing something psychology centered - a counselor or therapist! If I end up going that route, I might still be in school by the time I'm 26 (.... >.>).

At 26, I (realistically) probably won't be financially stable, and I can see myself having a mental breakdown three times a week, but hopefully I am stable enough to spend money without constantly worrying about it and to have enough to take care of myself :)

I want to have my Etsy shop open and still be working with polymer clay - hopefully I've improved and gotten to the level I want to be at.

Maybe I'll be dating someone, maybe not. I see myself spending time on myself and being around friends. I probably won't pursue anything, but if someone comes my way, well. :p I hope I'm not completely lonely - I hope I have true friends and that I'm still close to my family. Or even have a pet cat - maybe have a secret pet cat in an apartment that says "no pets".

I hope I stay in touch with my high school best friend - even if it's not a lot, but maybe a call or message every few months or so (if you haven't contacted her, please do).

Ten years is a long time, so I really don't know. Ten years ago I was a 6 year old girl who didn't even enjoy reading. So, I guess I'll have to see where life takes me. :)
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Ooohhh boy! I wish I'd filled this back then, but 17 year old me, was an agsty teenager who wanted to rebel. (She's still a part of me. ) <3

In 10 years:
I will have my PhD! Working on it now, and it's hella intellectually challenging. I LOVE IT.
I will hopefully have my first (or second) dog. Doggo plan 2019 is on!
I will be married - as much as marriage terrifies me, I love Boy, and I hope to get married in the next 5 years.
Kids - uhhhh probably. Atleast 1?
Hopefully, I find my current ideal job of working in a liberal arts college, focusing on teaching, and some research.
Will hopefully have put a down payment on a house we want to buy, and then get excited with decor.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:22 pm
View Likes
Enola says...

23 and a writer of large. Having at least two books published :D

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 pm
View Likes
Bellarke says...

25, and i see myself being all alone, and with a sickness of some kind.
“Who we are and who we need to be to survive are very different things.”

~Bellamy Blake

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris