z

Young Writers Society

Good Ol' Fashion Realistic Fiction

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:23 pm
View Likes
Chevy says...

Well, it appears to me that a lot of people on this site like fantasy and science fiction...there's nothing wrong with that, but however, how many of us love to read some good ol' fashion realistic fiction? I DO! I DO! Lol, so if you like it, then you can talk about it here.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:17 pm
View Likes
WinterGrimm says...

There's actually some really good fiction books I've read recently.
Speak by Laura Halse Anderson
Whale Talk (except for the last four or five pages) by Chris Crutcher
Stop Pretending by Sonya Sones
Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snoggings by Louise Rennison
Fair Weather by Richard Peck
and last summer I read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:40 pm
View Likes
Chevy says...

ive heard a lot about speak by laurie halse anderson...i cant help but wonder if it's going to be as good as Fever 1793 though...that book was ultra good wicked and one of the best ive ever read (see TOP TEN BEST BOOKS)...whats it about? i read the summary but it didn't help much.

44 Reviews

Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:31 pm
View Likes
WinterGrimm says...

Well the book takes place at Merryweather High School (I think all her books do). Well the story is about Melissa trying to cope with her first year of high school. She has sort of lost her friends because she called the cops on a party she was at during the summer. To say why would spoil the plot so I'm not gonna. I haven't read Fever yet, but I will and probably Catalyst. The Melissa character is great and she has some very sarcastically funny lines.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:26 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Her name is Melinda! But yeah it's really good, but maybe it wasn't such a great idea to read it in 6th grade. My stupid teacher read the first three pages before reccomending it. And excuse me, Fever 1793 doesn't take place at Merryweather HS. Ihaven't read anything else by her.

Do the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson count as realistic fiction? To be honest, I don't read realistic fiction that much, so why am I even posting?

44 Reviews

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:17 am
View Likes
WinterGrimm says...

niteowl wrote:Do the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson count as realistic fiction? To be honest, I don't read realistic fiction that much, so why am I even posting?

No dragons, no spaceships, no fey creatures, no time travel... nope seems pretty down to earth to me. Why wouldn't it be realistic fiction?

To those who haven't read Georgia Nicholson has been best described as the teenage Bridgit Jones.

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud