& artemis fowl as well but thats more for
younger readers i think... :roll:

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 pm
Firestalker says...

Eragon, Eldest, HP, etd
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 am
View Likes
dele24 says...

I recommend novels by David Eddings, especially the ones with Sparhawk in them, I think he is a cool character.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:37 am
View Likes
Lynlyn says...

Read anything by Ursula Le Guin that you can get your hands on, starting with Wizard of Earthsea. She is fantastic.

Most of the others that I read have already been mentioned here - Pullman's books are fantastic, though they're the sort where you almost have to suspend your beliefs to accept another reality. There's also Garth Nix - the Abhorsen trilogy is my favorite, I'm reading some of his other books, but those are the strongest so far in my opinion.

Terry Pratchett is my hero, 'nuff said. If you haven't read any of Discworld, well, I feel bad for you. The Color of Magic is the first one that he wrote, but you really don't have to read them in order.

Also, has no one mentioned Lloyd Alexander? His The Chronicles of Prydain were/are fantastic, I read them in 4th or 5th grade and they'll still be a good read even if you're older than his intended audience - you might finish the lot in an afternoon. You'll devour them.

Chronicles of Narnia are all right, but in my opinion, C.S. Lewis' real gem is Till We Have Faces. It's a really nice fantasy work based on an old Roman myth. As with any of Lewis' work, it's especially interesting to someone of the Christian faith, but still worth reading even if you're not. I wouldn't recommend it to under-13s, not because of language or sexual situations or anything like that, but simply because it deals with some psychological themes that are a little difficult to wrap your brain around sometimes. (It's a very difficult book to read, not brain candy like Mr. Potter...) However, if you like books that mess with your mind, go for it!
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:54 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

A lot of things besides Inheritance, which is....an oxymoron if "good" is in the same sentence. :roll: Urggggggggggh.

I'm rather fond of Gerald Morris's take on the King Arthur legends, and Vivian Vande Velde. Artemis Fowl series, Diana Wynne Jones's work, she's brilliant, Anne McCaffery's work, Edward Eager, more I can't really remember ATM........I'm tired.
ohmeohmy

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:08 am
piepiemann22 says...

For me there is really only one. The Dragon lance series.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:45 am
AWritersFantasy says...

I highly recommend the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier, although it's Irish fantasy so I'm not sure if it's something you'd be interested in reading. It's based on an Irish folktale called the Six Swans I think. VERY good. Marillier is amazing AND she's coming out with a FOURTH book at some point. :D

I definitely recommend Dragonlance- especially since they're coming out with a movie based on the first book, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, in the fall at some point. I've only read that book and half of the second book, but I'm still totally excited for the movie- just have to hope that they do a good job with it.

Though I haven't finished reading them, I recommend The Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore which is part of his Forgotten Realms series. I haven't finished the first book from that trilogy and haven't read any others, but I think it's very good so far. Drizzt and his master (who's name I sadly forget) remind me of Obi-Wan and Anakin in Star Wars. XD

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:39 am
Maybe says...

I absolutely have to agree with Piepiemann22, the DragonLance books rock! And the movie should be coming out some time this fall, with Kiefer Southerland playing the coolest character in the whole series! I cant wait!

Also, these are really good too:

Sword of Truth series
Black Magician Trilogy
Bartimaeus Trilogy

*head/desk* i cant think of any more!
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:53 am
Fireweed says...

Should this perhaps be in fiction discussion?

I'm not all that into fantasy, but...

Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce was awesome. There's a sequel, too, which I haven't read, Trickster's Queen.

I only read the first book of the Bartimaeus trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud, but I liked it because it was funny and lighthearted, unlike most fantasy novels.

The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman was really interesting, though I'm not sure if it's fantasy or sci fi. It's the first of a trilogy, but it's all I've read. *roll eyes* I have this habit of reading only the first books of series, as you can tell.

Oooh, Juniper and Wise Child by Monica Furlong are great.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is pretty good, though it's written for younger kids.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:52 pm
KiteRide86 says...

Im not much of a reader, but

How can you be a good writer without being a good reader? Anyways...I love Terry Brooks, though his books always have the same plot: the "journey" plot. His characters are very similar from book to book, as well.

Don't read Eragon or Eldest. They're not that good, if you haven't already heard.

The Children of Hurin is good, if you like History types.

If you like Vampires, there's always Twilight, Tantilize, and Vampire Plauges series by Sebastian Rook

I haven't read, but they seem good, Dragon's Keep and Wicked Lovely.

You could read Donita Paul's series about Dragons.

Fall of a Kingdom by Hilari Bell

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:35 pm
Reuben A says...

I recommend 'The Lord of the Rings', (By J.R.R Tolkien), and the 'His dark Materials trilogy. by Philip Pullman
So stadig loop ons deur die pers Jakarandas wat val,die bome word kaal Pa staar na die beeld van Botha wat reis op sy perd,Hy wonder was bloed soveel werd.Soveel jare dra hy aan die naam van 'n plek,Soveel jare moet ons nou laat gaan,Is die naam dan so erg,so bitter en sleg?Hoekom gooi jul dit weg?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:01 pm
CrisCaraway says...

A great and terrible beauty by Libba Bray. The main character is a girl and the book is more girlish so I don't know if guys would be that interested in it.
The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid, and deeds left undone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:55 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

If you haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, you shouldn't be considered a fantasy reader.

Oh, and The Shadow Theives by Anne Ursu. She's a well-rounded author. Nothing is exceptional, but everything is good. See what I mean?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:33 pm
Stori says...

The Name of the Wind is awesome. It's long, but that's a plus in my book.

Heirs of Ash is pretty good, unless you don't like D and D.

Auralia's Colors is also awesome. It's very original, and the description is fantastic.

Well, that's my humble opinion. Cheers.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:40 pm
Princess says...

Twilight all the way!!!!!!!!! that whole series is awesome! i read it over and over again!! loved them!
I came into this world wrinkled and ugly. And no matter how much I accumulate here, it's a short journey. I will go out of this world wrinkled and ugly. So I enjoy life.

If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig