z

Young Writers Society

Good Fantasy Books

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:01 pm
GeeZus RoX says...

Hey.

Just curious to know.. does anyone have any good fantasy novels that they have read and would like to recommend to me?

Thanks.
(I need a life)

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:30 pm
Zion says...

Im not much of a reader, but I would recomend the Shanarra series, Artemis faul, pawn of phropecy, wheel of time, those the ones I heard of, except the 1 two, Ive read them, the 2nd one is quite funny though
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:56 pm
niteowl says...

Look on the book review forum, there's probably some good suggestions there. Anything by Diana Wynne Jones, Donna Jo Napoli, and T. A. Barron definitely. Also, I don't know how old you are, but if you are 13+, I highly reccomend the Sword-Dancer saga. Oh yeah, I almost forgot N.M. Browne. She's awesome.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:56 pm
Elocina says...

I've read lots of good fantasy, but most of them escaped me. Here: Dragon Lance series, Hawksong (fiction, actually, but the author has written many good books, but I can't remember her name.). Let me think on others.
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:08 am
iced.cappuchino says...

C Elocin wrote:[...]Hawksong (fiction, actually, but the author has written many good books, but I can't remember her name.)[...]

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. A few other of her books include 'Midnight Predator' (which I adored, but it's vampire, not exactly epic fantasy.) and 'Snakecharm' which is the sequel to 'Hawksong'. She wrote other books, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. :)

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:24 am
Elocina says...

YESSS! Thanks. I'm going to the nearest Barnes and Nobles asap. I read 'Demon in my View', also vampire, but i didn't know there was a sequel to Hawksong!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P I love that book :!: :!: :!: :!:

btw, what genre is Timeline, by Michael Crichton?
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:18 am
Perra says...

I think Timeline might fall under historical fiction. Never read it, but my dad has and he's told me about it.

I haven't read very much fantasy, but ones I would recomend would be the Harry Potter series(of course!) and Eragon, although it's a little predictive...I have one or two more, but I don't know your age and don't want a curious 13- going out and looking for the book. :xmas_wink:
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:36 pm
Firestarter says...

Any books by David Gemmell are great!

Read them!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:38 pm
penny says...

Donna Jo Napoli definately! I'd recommend Zel, Breath and Sirena by her. You might also try Robin McKinley, Spindle's End is really good. and Midnight Pearls is a retelling of the little mermaid and it's actually really good. it's by...*looks* Debbie Viguie. I don't know if i'm speaking to a male or a female, but those up there tend to be more liked by females. But if you want more of a science fiction/fantasy type then go for The Ear, The Eye and The Arm by Nancy Farmer.loves -penny
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race and the human race is filled with passion." -Dead Poet's Society

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:22 pm
WinterGrimm says...

Perra wrote:I think Timeline might fall under historical fiction.

Because of time travel I'd say science fiction.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 pm
bubblewrapped says...

I've read Timeline - I'd say its science fiction, and the book is great, much better than the movie. Some fantasy I'd recommend - definitely Diana Wynne Jones and Ursula le Guin (Earthsea). Tad Williams writes an awesome sci-fi/fantasy mixture, particularly in his "Otherland" quartet (not for under 13's though). I also adored the "Wizards House" quartet, its been made into a TV series now (which is sadly pathetic). Author William Corlett. And I would definitely recommend the "Dark is Rising" sequence by Susan Cooper. David Eddings also writes awesome epic fantasy stories. So does Tamora Pierce, and Traci Harding and Diana Gabaldon (none of these are for under-13's). Also, I've just started reading Sarah A. Hoyt, whose books are fantasies about William Shakespeare in Early Modern England and are also very good, though again, for more mature readers.
Hope that helps! If I come up with some more I'll be sure to let you know.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:47 am
Nai says...

Oh man, I highly highly recommend the Hunter's Blades Trilogy by the great R.A. Salvatore. The three books (in order) are called:

The Thousand Orcs

The Lone Drow

The Two Swords

All incredible books in my opinion and i've read the whole trilogy twice. Some of the other books he's written that you might recognize:

The Sea of Swords

The Crystal Shard

Salvatore is an incredible author and just blends his intricate detail along with the inner thoughts of the main character (the famous Drizzt Do'Urden) and then on top of that he show every different point of view from every different side involved in the story. All put together he makes amazing books and i'm working on getting all the books he's written.
(Still no job :roll: )

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:58 am
ZZAP says...

:roll: The dark elf doesn't suit me well... My friend loves them though, but I make fun of him for reading a series about when Santa Claus was young. 8)

Good books ehh? Let's start with Terry Goodking and his series of The Sword of Truth. That's pretty good for starters. Wheel of Time is pretty good, but it's all details after the 3 book. Artemis Fowl is a nice sick read, but lacks character development. Yes, David Eddings is someone to get into, someone already posted the Pawn of Prophecy.

Now, one book that is better than the LOTRs, oh and read those as well (TLOTRs). George R.R. Martin. That's the man alright. His series is called the Song of Ice and Fire. The best series I've read in my life. Amazing! Dazzles me to want to write myself. :shock: =P~

-Z
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:26 am
Bobo says...

Terry Goodkind pretty good?! No one beats the Goodkind! Well, I guess I haven't read David Eddings yet, but the Sword of Truth series is so awesome! Sure, it's violent and stuff, but Terry Goodkind is one of the smartest people I've ever read. His stories show so much of the confusion going on even today, and how dumb people are in some of their beliefs. I definitely recommend him if you have a strong stomach.

Also, Dragonlance is good (esp. the main series by Weis + Hickman), R.A. Salvatore is awesome, Terry Brooks is great, um... who else? 1984 is a good book although it's not fantasy. Harry Potter is good, although if you think it has to have violence and stuff to be good then never mind. I've heard Tad Williams is good. Robert Jordan is awesome.

A little closer to home, you should check out Hunter's story. It's somewhere between fantasy and adventure, but it's awesome! Hunter's only 17 (almost 18! Wow!) but he writes as well as some of the authors I've named above. On the same note, I read Misty Lynn's two stories in the Action/Adventure section and she's awesome, as well. So... yeah. Unfortunately none of those are completed novels (yet; they probably will be some day) but these stories are still great reads.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:29 am
niteowl says...

OMG I forgot Abarat! How the hell could I forget Abarat?!?!?!?

I'm reading the sequel right now and it's even better than the first.

It's by Clive Barker.

I gotta go read myself to sleep with it now!
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)