z

Young Writers Society

Gay men attracted by same scents as women

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu May 12, 2005 8:28 pm
Galatea says...

Finally, a break through that might help eliminate the legal discrimination against homosexuals!

Homosexual men respond in the same way as women to pheromones, or odors believed by many to regulate sexual arousal, according to a new Swedish study that lends credence to the theory that homosexuality is biologically determined.

"We found that homosexual men react the same way as women do to the (testosterone derivative) androstadien pheromone: they get aroused," said Per Lindstroem, a physician at the neuroscience department at the Karolinska University Hospital and the co-author of a new study on the subject.

Titled "Brain response to putative pheromones in homosexual men" the report reveals that gays, unlike heterosexual men, are not aroused by the female pheromone estratetraen but are instead turned on by the same odors that get straight women's juices flowing.

"This shows that reactions to these pheromones are not linked to gender but to sexual preference," Lindstroem told AFP, admitting that the study of human pheromones is controversial.

While experts agree that pheromones in animals influence the behavior and often function as an attractant of the opposite sex, there is no consensus on what role the chemical stimulant plays in human relations.

"It is not yet generally accepted that humans have a pheromonal system at all," Lindstroem said, insisting however that his research has shown a clear link between pheromones and sexual attraction.

When a heterosexual woman senses androstadien pheromones, which have a nearly undetectable odor, the part of her brain that governs sexual arousal is activated. If she senses pheromones from another woman however, only her sense of smell is triggered, he said.

"We believe that our studies lend more credence to the biological explanation model than to a psychological one when it comes to homosexuality. And this result can also help remove the feeling of guilt that still often accompanies homosexuality," Lindstroem said in an interview on Swedish public radio.

For the study, which was published on Monday in scientific publication Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, or PNAS, researchers used a complex brain imaging technique to measure the level of arousal in heterosexuals and gays when exposed to the same pheromones.

Four test groups, consisting of 12 individuals each, were examined: one made up of heterosexual men, one with gay men, one with heterosexual women and one with homosexual women.

"This is a very complex and very expensive technology, so we couldn't afford and didn't have the time to conduct the tests on larger groups," Lindstroem told AFP, claiming that the research had nonetheless been conclusive.

Lindstroem and the two other co-authors of the report, Ivanka Savic and Hans Berglund, are currently working on a follow-up study on how lesbians react to female pheromones.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sat May 28, 2005 4:22 am
Galatea says...

Humph! *bump*
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:54 am
Black Ghost says...

I for one think that's great news. The more research is done on this the less reason people will have to discriminate against gays.

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

EDIT: Crap, this is old....XD

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:15 am
Aet Lindling says...

Great! I think it was obvious anyway, but maybe this'll help some more... come on, we're ignoring the slavery parts of the Bible, why not the anti-homosexual bits!?
dun worry
it's all gun be k

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:17 am
scotty.knows says...

That's kind of interesting. I've been a believer in human pheromones for a long time now. I don't understand how the evidence that gays respond the same way to male pheromones as heterosexual women do will help remove legal discrimination against gays. Doesn't it just prove something we already knew: that gays get turned on by men?
Am I missing something?
'Merikuh!

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:19 am
Aet Lindling says...

Well, this means that gays really can't help it, that it isn't a "psychological disease" like some idiots were thinking.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:55 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

Yes, that's the point. People discriminate because they think that gays "choose" to be that way and are intentionally attempting to be bad and not conform with society. If we can convince people that homosexuality is no more controlled than heterosexuality, attitudes towards the issue will most likely change for the better.

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:02 am
scotty.knows says...

Okay, I understand. That does make sense. I've just never gone as far to think that gays choose to be different for the hell of it. I've always thought they were just born that way.

Good god, if some people I know knew that I agreed with you guys...
'Merikuh!

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:22 am
Perra says...

I, for one, can't wait for the female study. Homosexual men seem to be highlighted in discussions, debates, and whatnot while women (not to mention transgenders, etc) are shoved to the shadows. Makes me sad. :(
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

Random avatar

Reviews: 52
Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:10 am
Monument Soul says...

Aet Lindling wrote:Great! I think it was obvious anyway, but maybe this'll help some more... come on, we're ignoring the slavery parts of the Bible, why not the anti-homosexual bits!?

you shouldn't ignore any part of the Bible if you're a christain and using the fact that some people ignored the slavery part as an exscuse is stupid, lame and might portray you as the person that if slavery still existed you wouldn't care either way...

the Bible is NOT teaching people to hate.Just because people use the bible as an exscuse to flaunt and justify their Animosity,that is no reason to attack the religion.

don't take anybodies word for read the bible for yourself...

I'm not trying to convert anybody I just want people to understand.

don't try and attack religion just because I'm saying this it can get you in trouble on this website.

Random avatar

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:16 am
Monument Soul says...

Black Ghost wrote:Yes, that's the point. People discriminate because they think that gays "choose" to be that way and are intentionally attempting to be bad and not conform with society. If we can convince people that homosexuality is no more controlled than heterosexuality, attitudes towards the issue will most likely change for the better.

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

discimination is wrong... but as far as choosing that is true... there are cases where technically gay men live in heterosexual relations ships of their own accord and due to no outside influence but pure choice.

so as far as being aware of their actions like ALL people they know what they're doing...and choose so.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:39 pm
Sureal says...

don't try and attack religion just because I'm saying this it can get you in trouble on this website.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that you, a member with less then 10 posts, it telling Aet - who is a very well established member here - what he can and can't do on YWS.

Incidently, it's ironic that you say this, considering that only a few sentances above you state:

you shouldn't ignore any part of the Bible if you're a christain and using the fact that some people ignored the slavery part as an exscuse is stupid, lame and might portray you as the person that if slavery still existed you wouldn't care either way...

Which is very much attacking the religious beliefs of people who don't believe in every single word of the Bible.
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:25 pm
deleted6 says...

Finally, it's fact no one can justify argument saying gay or lesbian people are doing it to be different. Also Monument for point about happy gay people within straight relationship. They're not going make it obvious they hate it. Give us some statistic to prove this. They may be happy but what's not saying they go out and release all this un-contented emotions. Also as Jon advised don't attack other members when you've only been a member for a few days.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:56 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hey, guys, try to keep this on topic and civil, okay? I don't want to have to lock this. Homosexual debates belong in the Debates forum, and this thread is dedicated to the news article posted. Thank you!

And Monument, I must politely echo Sureal's comment on saying what's allowed on the YWS.
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:32 pm
Monument Soul says...

Sureal wrote:

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that you, a member with less then 10 posts, it telling Aet - who is a very well established member here - what he can and can't do on YWS.

Incidently, it's ironic that you say this, considering that only a few sentances above you state:

Which is very much attacking the religious beliefs of people who don't believe in every single word of the Bible.

well for starters if you PAY attention to what I wrote it says IF YOU ARE A CHRISTAIN!!

EMPHASIS ON THE IF...

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk