z

Young Writers Society

Bush Vetoes Bill Outlawing CIA Waterboarding

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:27 am
Emerson says...

Not to debate on this or anything...

The main problem with waterboarding [NOTE: I'm talking about Guantanamo Bay rather than the CIA in general.] is whether or not it violates the Geneva Convention about treatment of POWs, specifically in Article 3.

There is also in existence the Military Commissions Act of 2006.

From the studies I did while in Washington, D.C. another question raised is whether the Commissions Act violates the Geneva Convention, and should something be done about that?

People may not like me for it, but I back the Commissions Act. Or at least, a middle ground between the two. I believe methods of interrogation are needed if we plan to protect our country. Most methods just happen to be inhuman. If we save millions of lives does it matter if we ruin one? It's a moral dilemma.

And please, no one go into whether they are properly using the torture or what all...

Today there are approximately 350 prisoners detained there. As of June 2007, one person...has been convicted while being held at Guantanamo.

So, yeah, there are some flaws. For example, I believe they need to have a system of trial. Not neccessarily by a jury, but I think it would be more fair as a way to regulate things.

*rambles* Wow, NYLF/NS has affected me, haha.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:19 pm
Aedomir says...

This is turning into a debate...
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:51 pm
idle muse says...

I'm so glad I live in the UK. The only reason the US has got away with its human rights violations (Guantanamo!) is because they're the biggest bully in the playground.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 pm
Aedomir says...

Interesting way of putting it... I guess it is like China. No one will stand up to them invading everywhere. I see another WW1 (well obviously not 1!) coming along...

But that's for another day.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

You'd better wise up, Pony... you get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothing can touch you, man.
— Dallas Winston, The Outsiders