z

Young Writers Society

Kenya Rivals Reach Peace Agreement! Yes!

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:13 am
Via says...

NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenya’s rival leaders broke their tense standoff on Thursday, agreeing to share power in a deal that may end the violence that has engulfed the nation but could mark the beginning of a long and difficult political relationship.

The country seemed to let out a collective hooray as Mwai Kibaki, the president, and Raila Odinga, the top opposition leader, sat at a desk in front of the president’s office, with a bank of television cameras rolling, and signed an agreement that creates a powerful prime minister position for Mr. Odinga and splits cabinet positions between the government and the opposition.

There are still many thorny issues to resolve, among them how the government will function with essentially two bosses. There is also a deeply divided country to heal. More than 1,000 Kenyans have been killed and hundreds of thousands driven from their homes in an uncharacteristic burst of violence set off by a deeply flawed election in December. Much of the fighting, like the voting, has been along ethnic lines.

Finally! :D First step to making everyone feel safe again.

Read the rest here.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing