z

Young Writers Society

Firestarter (President of British Operations) Moves On

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:38 pm
Nate says...

Back when I created YWS in mid-November 2004, one of the very first things I did is go around posting on a lot of forums advertising this site. A lot of people who are now mods or DMs, such as Crysi, Meshugenah, and ElectricBlueMonkey, will remember me posting at Young Fantasy Writers. Others, like Galatea, remember me posting on a few other sites. A lot of these people have become integral parts of YWS over the years. Without these early founders, YWS would not be the site it is today. Even if it were just as successful, it certainly would not have the same kind of attitude most users have now (witty, silly, and smart).

I still remember exactly how I first came across Firestarter (Jack). It was on writing.com, where I was specifically writing reviews with the intent of getting people to sign onto YWS. I wasn't obvious about it, and only included the link to YWS at the very bottom as part of my signature. I reviewed something by Jack called The Vulper Sword, I think, and he soon wrote me back thanking me for the review and even promising to visit the site.

Well, anyone who knows Jack knows he quickly made his mark on YWS. He wasn't part of the first group of mods (ElectricBlueMonkey, ZZAP, and Kody), but he did become a mod before the end of 2004 (I think). He was one of our first featured members and soon established himself as a YWS phenomena.

As time went on, I had to leave for a few months during the summer of 2005 to go work at a boy scout camp in the mountains where there was no internet access whatsoever (much less electricity). So I decided to bring on a couple of admins just for the summer: Galatea and Firestarter.

Well, after I came back, I decided to keep both as admins, and Jack continued with the site thereafter. He has been a HUGE help with all of the day to day admin duties, such as creating groups and promoting users.

But more than that, Jack has shown an exceptional ability to always offer a rational analysis of the situation. I rely on Jack's advice in everything I do, and there has been many a time when I have not gone forward with something because Jack felt it imprudent to do so.

He leaves the site for now to concentrate on his studies and personal life in University, which is a time consuming task. You'll still see him around the site, but as a distinguished member. However, he may become an admin again in the future as well.

So, this isn't a goodbye more than it is just a sending off. But, in any case, goodbye Jack! You have been instrumental to YWS and without you, this site would surely have been the worse. I hope you do well in all your future endeavors and that you continue to succeed at University.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:44 pm
Layleun says...

Good luck, Jack! You'll defiantly be missed, amigo!

~Lupe

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:46 pm
Prokaryote says...

See ya, Jack. :)

Prokaryote

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:47 pm
Emerson says...

Is this a 'this is why I love Jack' party?

I never got to know Jack too well until we started to talk on IM and in the chat. I don't even know what we talked about, we just talked. Maybe I was helping him with a problem or we were discussing writing or talking about the differences between countries, but I quickly found a friend in him. He's funny, incredebly smart, and entertaining. Besides, he's English!

Jack, you've always been a great friend to me, and always will be. I wish I could say more but I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't sound cliché. Love at first site, maybe? :-P

I wish you amazing luck at uni, not that you'll need it. We all know you're super cool.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:51 am
Areida says...

Ooh, good idea. I like that... 'Why I Love Jack' party. Or he could have a show. Isn't that the new thing now? "Everybody Loves ____"? In this case it'd actually be true. :P

Nate's completely correct when he says that you're brilliant at analyzing a situation. I love watching the way your mind works. You're one of those people who just figures things out first. I've always looked up to you, and will miss seeing your name in red around the site. I do know, however, that you will be wonderful at whatever you decide to do, and I wish you only the best. Oh, and - Come see me at West Point! :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:14 am
Trident says...

0_0

Best of luck, Jack! School is quite an experience.
Perception is everything.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:50 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

We love you Jack!

I wish you the best of luck with everything, uni and such, honey. We will definitely miss you around here in red.

*hugs*

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:09 am
Dream Deep says...

I find that Cal says it perfectly. Good luck, Jacko - we'll be missing you terribly. ^^

*hugs*

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:29 am
Alteran says...

:( *misses*

Good luck comeback eventually.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:49 am
Cade says...

Good luck!
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:06 am
Fishr says...

Huzzah!

*salutes a far larger history buff than I* ;)

Best of luck in prison. Hey, I've never sugar-coated the truth and I don't intend on doing so now. Work hard, and never slack off. That's an order! Come back! (Also an order).

For King and Country! :D
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:48 am
Incandescence says...

Jaaaaaack...

I've known you since we were wee teenagers, and I've had the singular experience and pleasure of watching you--and, at least in some way, the reciprocal: of being watched by you--as you've "grown up." Not just as a person, from the boy you were to the man you're now becoming: someone who thinks with his mind but isn't afraid of his heart--no, there are many ways you've changed: your writing, your interests, your humor, and they are ways I quite frankly wouldn't feel comfortable chronicling for others to read.

So, to be honest, before writing this, I wasn't certain what I'd say. As it's written, it's been given, whether I like it or not, the form of an address--and in that way, it is hazardous and without the least assurance that it won't be prone to the emotional. I know that many others here haven't had the opportunity to know you the way I have. That is their loss. You have stood by my side--and not just when it was easy. In fact, it was when I was at my worst that you were there to prop me up, and it's an act both of loyalty and friendship which I'm not sure I can ever adequately repay. The problem, it seems, with owing a debt is time, because the way you might have thought that debt initially changed you comes more into focus, and as you see all the things it's changed, you begin to feel (or I do) as though you owe more than what you can return. I apologize for not being able to repay you in full.

So for what it's worth, and it probably isn't very much, I'll miss you like I miss my family. In many ways, even, I consider you a part of my family, and I think you should know that when you finally get yourself down here to Houston, you've got free room and board and transportation and anything else you want. You haven't been around much lately, so I suppose this offer and sympathy might seem late or insincere, and I can only tell you: it isn't. As for the future--forward march! Like a family (or, if you want, the mafia), when you get worn out and want some good conversation or someone to whine to, we'll all be here waiting for you. Take care, Jack, and be well.

Yours,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 pm
View Likes
Gahks says...

Good luck Jack.

All the best.

Gahks :D
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:31 pm
Twit says...

So long, Charlie. Er... Jack. :) Have fun!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:15 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

It's going to be strange not seeing your name in red any more... It's something I've rather grown used to.

Hope your YWS break does you well!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

"You may deem me romantic, my dear sister, but I bitterly feel the want of a friend."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein