z

Young Writers Society

Teen Suicide Incidents in Bridgend, Wales, UK

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Another body of a young person has been found in the Bridgend area.

South Wales Police named her as 16-year-old Jenna Parry, who was from the village of Cefn Cribwr, around five miles from Bridgend.

Her body was found early this morning in a woodland area by a man walking his dog across the village common.

Police said there was no link between a number of suicides in the area and no suggestion of a pact, saying they "were all young people with big issues".

The death in Cefn Cribwr is the 17th suspected suicide of a young person in the Bridgend county area in just over a year.

Last week, two cousins, aged 15 and 20, both from Bridgend, died within two days of each other.

See the rest of the article here

This is very, very odd. 17 suicide incidents in the space of just over a year, and the third in a week? What are your thoughts?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:37 pm
Emerson says...

That's strange and sad. I don't know whether I wish there was a connection so it made sense, or didn't. Either way...I'll pray for their souls and their families.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:41 pm
Aedomir says...

I've heard about this on the news. Why is it that suddenly so many teens are getting more depressed? I admit, a couple of months ago I felt horrible depressed and did feel like it, perhaps it's just the rough seas of modern day life.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:42 pm
Emerson says...

Well, it's winter, too. Although that doesn't account for 17 in one year and in the same area. But it is a fact that suicide rates rise in the winter.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:05 pm
Blue Fairy says...

I heard about this on the news too. I think It's terrible. I've never really been depressed so I can't relate to them. I hope no one else commits suicide. 17 is alot of people in one area :?
Formely known as Fairy_twinkletoes_13

Grab a pogo stick and come and....pogo with me!

Brains first, then hard work. That's the way to build a house- Eeyore

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:20 pm
Aedomir says...

It's all very suspicious. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a guy giving at leaflets on how to do it...
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:52 pm
tinny says...

It is quite strange. I was quite disturbed to find that some of them are quite closely related too, and one killed herself about an hour after finding out her cousin had just done so himself.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:55 pm
Gahks says...

It's just awful and very, very tragic.

It baffles me how many suicides there have been in such a short time.

My thoughts are currently with all the victims' families.

Gahks
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:27 pm
Alainna says...

This has been happening everywhere.

I heard about these. I think there were a few teen suicides here in England a little while back. All I know is that they seem to be happening a lot more frequently and it is quite scary.

Apparently, parents are being urged to give their kids suicide talks.

Alainna
xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:36 pm
Rei says...

Yep, strange and sad. Maybe there wasn't a pact, but what it could be is copy-cats. I cut myself once when I was really depressed, and I never did it until I had met others who had done it. In some of the cases, it could be the same thing. They see it on the news, and whether they realize it or not, it gives them the idea.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:58 pm
GingerLizzy says...

This is really awful, and my hearts go out to all the families and friends affected.

They were talking about suicide pacts and things like that, weren't they, because I find it strange that there were so many suicides in the area; surely not a coincidence? I've heard of these chat rooms where people talk about suicide and encourage it to other groups. This should be stopped a.s.a.p I think; some sort of legal act in order, although this would only stop the discussion on suicide based chat rooms - and yes, they exist!

I just hope they find how to protect people from taking steps this far.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:51 pm
SilentButSure says...

I've been reading about this for a while and it confuses me so much I have to stop thinking about it before I explode. For someone like me who likes to have a logical explanation for a lot of things this is just strange and scary. In a way I want there to be a link, other than they all thought it was the only way out, so that it will all make sense.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:44 pm
Gahks says...

A curious question: If, for the sake of argument, they all went to a suicide forum thing, could you prosecute its founder for homicide?
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost