z

Young Writers Society

American Embassy In Belgrade Attacked By Demonstrators

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 pm
Bjorn says...

"Several hundred demonstrators broke away from a massive rally in Belgrade Thursday, setting fire to an office inside the U.S. Embassy to protest against Washington's recognition of Kosovo's declaration of independence."

Read the complete story here: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/2 ... rally.html
(CBC News; Last Updated: Thursday, February 21, 2008 | 3:27 PM ET)

I was watching several news stations when I came home from school, and most analysts said that such an action was innevitable.
Any thoughts?

Personally I too would say it would have been innevitable. Not only has the States' popularity gone down in general recently with the war in the Middle-East and other issues, but this opposition is especially prevalent in Serbia where American led NATO forces bombed Serbia during the Kosovan War. What's more the only flag that I saw flying in news broadcasts alongside the unnoficially adopted Albanian flag was the American flag, which Serbs I'm sure would have picked up on. My father, an ardent Croatian nationalist, condemns the attack (though not because it's the American embassy :wink:) calling the Serbs stupid and their police force collaborators with the mob. This latter fact I won't deny because, well, they are Serbs too ^_~
I won't give a clear opinion as to whether I condemn the attack or not, but as a Yugoslav sympathizer, I am generally saddened at what has become of the once former sila in Europe, a nation that was at the forefront of the non-aligned movement during the Cold War, a nation that once championed, quite effectively, the policy of Bratstvo i Jedinstvo (Brotherhood and Unity). :(
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground.
— The Bee Movie