z

Young Writers Society

Who is Pat Buchanan???

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 pm
omgafilangi says...

In other words everyone, the Pat Buchanan joke is not something you can really "get". It's just something that started sometime and just has to be accepted as fact. The fact is, Pat Buchanan reigns supreme over YWS and there's nothing any of us mere mortals can really do about it.
NaPoWriMo

The purpose of life is to fight maturity
-Dick Werthimer

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

So, basically, everyone just likes him and so I should too?? Still very very very very very very very CONFUSED!
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:18 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

OnCeUpOnAtIm3Xo wrote:So, basically, everyone just likes him and so I should too??

Yes :wink:

You could always start an uprising... Doubt you'd get very far though, he's got very strong support.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:04 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

lol. I think he's just a random joke that's fun simply because it's random. However, if you're really curious:

Patrick Joseph "Pat" Buchanan (born November 2, 1938) is an American politician, author, syndicated columnist and broadcaster. He ran in the 2000 presidential election on the Reform Party ticket. He also sought the Republican presidential nomination in 1992 and 1996.

Buchanan was a senior advisor to three American presidents, Nixon, Ford and Reagan, and was an original host on CNN's Crossfire. He also co-founded The American Conservative magazine and launched The American Cause, a paleoconservative foundation. He has been published in many publications, including Human Events, National Review, The Nation and Rolling Stone.

On American television, he is currently a political commentator on the MSNBC cable network and a regular on The McLaughlin Group.

Does that help?
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:10 pm
Teh Wozzinator says...

BigBadBear wrote:I still don't get it.

I don't either, BBB...

Good to know that another person-who-isn't-too-new has no clue.
Go K-State for North Division!!

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:11 pm
scotty.knows says...

I think that understanding the relationship between Pat Buchanan and YWS is like understanding mayonnaise. Some people just don't get it.

Fortunately, I am very well acquainted with mayonnaise and may even write a novel with the enchanting emulsion as a central character.

To put it simply, Pat Buchanan is like mayonnaise.

XD
'Merikuh!

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:13 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

scotty.knows wrote:I think that understanding the relationship between Pat Buchanan and YWS is like understanding mayonnaise. Some people just don't get it.

Fortunately, I am very well acquainted with mayonnaise and may even write a novel with the enchanting emulsion as a central character.

To put it simply, Pat Buchanan is like mayonnaise.

XD

I understand mayonnaise, but I don't understand why people eat it. Does that count? XD
ohmeohmy

130 Reviews

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:51 pm
scotty.knows says...

No, I'm afraid that doesn't count. To fully understand mayonnaise, you must be able to comprehend why people would ingest it. This does not mean you must be willing to swallow a grotesque fusion of eggs and oil, you must merely have a total knowledge.

You are almost there, young one, continue on your journey, and soon all will become clear.
'Merikuh!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:36 am
Stockmar says...

Mayonnaise is a gross word too. ewwwwwww. I don't like to eat anything with...*shudders* okay, I'm done talking about mayo.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:05 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

The history of Pat Buchanan on YWS is actually difficult to come up with.

The truth is that Nate was watching "Futurama" an American cartoon. In the episode "Future Stock," there is a major stock holder vote. The rest is explained below:

During the voting for the future of Planet Express--with the option of two buttons, one in favour, the other opposed--Mom's son Ignar is confused and inexplicably registers a vote for "Pat Buchanan", in reference to the infamous Florida voting controversy of the 2000 U.S. Presidential election. With everyone staring angrily at Ignar, he says in his defense "the ballot was confusing," thus making fun of the Election even more, Also, Zoidberg is stated as having had majority share of the company, but his stock was counted the same as everyone elses in the vote for CEO, also parodying the election and the miscounts.

Somehow, this was able to inspire Nate to put a Pat Buchanan option on every poll from then on.

I personally like the theory that Nate is actually a PR representative for Mr. Buchanan. His job is to condition us to vote Pat Buchanan. This latter theory is entirely speculation.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

130 Reviews

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:20 am
scotty.knows says...

...Well, that's not quite as exciting as mayonnaise...

but I guess it'll do.
'Merikuh!

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

oh......

I get it now! Thank you!
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 pm
Teh Wozzinator says...

Actually, from reading these posts... I now understand. Mayonnaise is good. XD
Go K-State for North Division!!

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher