z

Young Writers Society

Kosovo Declares Independence

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:31 pm
Bjorn says...

"Kosovo declared itself an independent nation on Sunday, sealing a historic bid for statehood in defiance of the Serbian government and Russia."

"Kosovo is "an independent, sovereign and democratic state," parliament speaker Jakup Krasniqi announced afterwards."

See the full story here: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/17/kosovo.html

(Last Updated: Sunday, February 17, 2008 | 10:42 AM ET
CBC News)

Well, what are people's thoughts? If anyone would like a compressed history of Kosovo from the time Slavic tribes first entered the Balkans to the recent war in Kosovo, I'd be glad to inform.
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:35 pm
Dream Deep says...

I'm very relieved that I've been researching this part of the world; otherwise I truly would have to take you up on that offer to inform. ^_^ While I'm glad that Kosovo is taking a stand and pursuing its independence, I do worry for its security. This region does not have a reputation for being particularly stable, and Serbia does not have a reputation for letting things easily go. Similarly, I worry for the Serbs living in Kosovo. To quote Crichton: 'These people just wait for the chance to settle old scores, and they have a lot of scores to settle'... For that matter, on a global scale, strife between the United States (pro-Kosovo) and Russia (pro-Serbia) would only serve to create more problems, problems that we desperately don't need at this point in time: Putin has too much support and power and Bush is too rash to effectively handle more than one international crisis at a time.

All in all, though I'm hopeful, I'm unsettled by this. While trying not to be unsettled. Though I am ethnically Slovakian/Ukrainian and have no personal connection whatever to the southern nations, I don't want to see a relapse into civil war in any part of Eastern Europe.

... so. Worry combined with tentative optimism, if that's any way to express it.
Last edited by Dream Deep on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:18 am
Emerson says...

This is actually kind of weird. One of the current event seminars was on Kosovo, and then just a few days later, it isn't current anymore. But that is the world? Sadly, I didn't go to that seminar--but I did go to the one on Russia. So I can't really comment because I don't know the history behind it or anything. It's another thing I need to research, haha.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:20 am
Via says...

Another country, another day ;)
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
— Mark Twain