z

Young Writers Society

How do you find time?

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:08 pm
Eimear says...

Hey, I'm doing my A levels at school at the moment- History, Pyschology, Religion and English- and I'm snowed under with work! By the time all my homework, chores etc are done, I'm too exhausted to write!

How do you guys find time to fit it all in? I'd love to know your secret!

Eimear
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:33 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Hmm. Balancing school and writing is hard. You could always try setting aside just 30 minutes a day for writing. The problem is if you have no time, you have no time. I know that I am kind of lazy and I can make time for the things I want to do--but that usually involves sacrificing the time I might spend on something else (like homework. I don't do much of that).

Try setting a small bit of time aside for writing, or maybe when you've been working for a long time just taking a little ten minute break every now and again (if your brain isn't too tired to write =P).

Good luck!

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:00 pm
JabberHut says...

I know how you feel. I've been swamped with work. At least, it seems like it. And around other activities, I never seem to find time to write. But I make time to write. Even if that means on the weekend, I make the time.

When I get home from school, I do my homework straight away. It may take one hour or five (oh no, I gotta write a paper this weekend! :x), but I get it done. Then, unless I'm exhausted and just need sleep (in which case writing sounds painful), I go write some. It may not even be a page in length, what I write that day, but I wrote something.

Valor's right. Make the time, but don't slack off with your schoolwork. :lol: I definitely get impatient when I haven't written for about two weeks do to schoolwork and activities. (I'm suddenly remembering all these things I have to do this weekend. :x) It hurts to sacrifice writing, but if you think you can make the time to write, then make it. :)

Reviewing others' work eases the pain too. I'll print something off and mark it up with a red pen. It makes me feel much better. :lol:

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:04 pm
View Likes
Leja says...

I like to write during lunch. It's rather relaxing, and there's not much else you can be doing anyway ^_^ Other than that, it helps to get school assignments done as early as possible (or if you ask, sometimes your teacher will tell if there's a major project due soon you can start) and use the stress-free time to write when the rest of your class will be flipping out over having been lazy and not doing anything ^_^

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:17 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Oh! That's right, school. I write plots during class (in between note taking) and I even wrote a whole trilogy in Physics (lol. And I still got a 86! Which is pretty cool since I don't think I ever listened through a whole lesson. I don't recommend you try it--I felt pretty lost sometimes =P).

There's lot of free time at school, or on the bus (or in any vehicle) that can be put to good use. I daydream all the time in the bus, and a lot of them could make fun stories. ^_^
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:29 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I daydream all the time in the bus, and a lot of them could make fun stories.

Yes, as do I, but my main trouble is finding the time to actually WRITE the stuff...

Are you sure that you are working all the time? I know that even though right now I have the time to be answering this thread, I feel like I am being rushed and have no time to write. *grumbles to self* Of course, no that I have consciously realized that, I should probably go write...

But yes, I tend to write during class. I don't recommend it if you are struggling, but if it is a class that is really easy (or that you are just plain bored in and couldn't learn if you tried), scribble a few lines in a notebook you keep with you for that purpose. I'm sure that the teacher wouldn't notice an extra couple sheets of paper. *shifty eyes*

If you're ever in the waiting room for a doctor's appointment or whatever, bring a notebook with you. You'd be surprised what you can get done in places like that.

Hope this helps out... I was on a roll during Christmas break, getting so much writing done. Then school started back up and I was in a slump. I don't think I have written a total of five pages together on my novel since then. Lots of scribbles for other stuff, but not for my novel. *grumbles more and trudges off to write on novel*

Good luck,

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:34 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I went through this whole no-time-to-write thing last year when I was doing my leaving. I got around it by writing between the time I washed my teeth and brushed my hair in the morning (after dressing and having breakfast), and the time I left for school (usually about twenty minutes..it just meant not hitting the snooze button most of the time)and I'd continue in the car on the way if I wasn't done, and then I'd write for half an hour to an hour at ten when my study and homework was finished. There's always time. If you want to do it enough, you will.And remember that even 15 minutes is better than nothing. Everyone has this amount of time somewhere.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

Nothing is impossible, for the word itself says, 'I'm possible!'
— Audrey Hepburn