z

Young Writers Society

Shooting @ Northern Illinois U. Claims 6+Gunman, Injures 16

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:14 am
Via says...

DEKALB, Illinois (CNN) -- A gunman dressed in black stepped from behind a curtain at the front of a large lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday and shot 21 people, five of them fatally, then turned shot and killed himself, said university president John Peters.

At least 22 people, including a graduate student who was teaching an ocean sciences class, were shot, Peters said.

Seventeen victims were taken to Kishwaukee Community Hospital, its Web site said.

Of those, six were in critical condition and were flown to other hospitals. One fatality, a male, was confirmed -- but was not the gunman, the hospital said. Two were admitted, and three others were discharged. The other five were not addressed on the Web site.

Four of the fatalities were female, said Peters.

Most of the injuries are head and chest gunshot wounds, a hospital spokeswoman told CNN.

The gunman started shooting from a stage in the room shortly after 3 p.m. (4 p.m. ET) in Cole Hall, officials said.

Police Chief Donald Grady said authorities do not yet know of a motive.

The report is not right, 6 people not including the gunman have now died, making it 7 total. The gunman was not a student at NIU currently but was a former graduate student.

Please keep these students and their families and friends in your thoughts.

Read the rest here.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:30 am
bubblewrapped says...

More school/university shootings? :(:(:(
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:33 am
Emerson says...

I heard about this while I was away, which was kind of weird, because I was real isolated from [current American] news while on the trip. But this was a shocker...Weren't there several high school shootings this past week? It being in IL it felt that much closer to me, in a strange way.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:40 am
Via says...

Yea there were two highschool shootings other than this and one elementary school shooting (by adult to an adult) all in the same week.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:21 pm
idle muse says...

I'll never understand the US. Why are people surprised when things like this happen, if gun control there is so lax?

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling