z

Young Writers Society

Anyone need a crit?

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:18 am
Sleeping Valor says...

I'd like to apply to be an instructor, which means I need to develop some super reviewing skills.

Also, I don't want to go and get all inactive and selfish just because I feel special. I blame the wonderful members of YWS who have been spoiling me silly by reading my novel and actually enjoying it. (*hugs them all!*)

:D So help me out by helping yourselves! :wink:

If you have a story/poem that you'd like a review on, post the link here!

The same goes for ideas you'd maybe like input on (some people post them in 'writing tips', you could put the link of PM me with the idea)

And of course since I'm thinking on the instructor thin, any requests for writing tips/questions are welcome also!

Thanks a bunch guys!

^_^ Keek!

Ooh! Shall I do some shameless advertising while I’m at it? DoaV: topic24813.html
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:53 am
chocoholic says...

Ooh! Yay!

I'd love a crit on Their End of the World. SO far I've only got the first chapter, and nobodies critiqued it, which makes me sad. I'd especially love it if you would be detailed, and I'm sure you will seeing as you're applying for an Instructor. The link is below:

topic25392.html

And because I want you to become an Insturctor, I'm going to ask you a question I've been thinking about for a while. How do you plot/outline a novel? DO you start with characters or plot? Do you write paragraphs about it, or dot points? Do you do it on the computer, or on paper?

I hope you become an Instructor Valor!

Oh, and I will make sure to read and critique your story.

choco.

PS. Sorry about the long message
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

220 Reviews

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:45 am
Sleeping Valor says...

Yay! My first customer. ^_^ And maybe a new reader for DoaV too! :D

I'll get to your story ASAP, possibly tomorrow--saturday at the latest.

Here's the answer to your question! Let me know if it's any help.
Starting Off: topic25907.html

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:27 am
Wolf says...

Hey Keek!

So you want to be an Instructor, eh? Well, I'm fairly new myself, but here's what I think makes a good review:

Always point out what you like about the story, unless you didn't like anything at all. It's hard to read a 100% negative critique, I find. And always say why you like it, so that the writer can continue to do whatever they're doing well.

When pointing out negative aspects of the piece, it's good to include why you don't like it and how you think they can improve. This includes recommending other stories/poems for them to read, posting links, etc.

Look for all the main aspects of a good story: characterization, plot, imagery and description, setting, etc. And of course, the quality of the prose. If you feel that they are lacking in a certain aspect, tell them so and give them tips on how to improve.

Comb through it, never skim. Unless it's so horrid and boring, in which case you should let them know and try to help them improve.
Point out all the mistakes you see, and nit-pick whenever you see a mistake.

Also, if it's part of a novel/novella/short story, try to predict what's going to happen next. If it's too predictable, well... that's not a good thing.

Look for clichés. If you find any, let the writer know, and suggest possible ways to make their ideas more original. Suggest other pieces of literature and websites that could help them.

It goes without saying that you should always try to be literate. And don't flame, either. I know you're literate and don't flame people, but I thought I should mention it anyways.

Try to avoid really short critiques that just say 'great job! Keep writing!'. :P

Well, I need to sign off now. Hope this helped... somewhat...

Cheers,
Camille
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 pm
omgafilangi says...

topic26136.html

topic26144.html

Oh I do love a good shameless plug thread! I'll be sure to read DoaV too. Good luck on becoming an Instructor!
NaPoWriMo

The purpose of life is to fight maturity
-Dick Werthimer

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:14 pm
Blue Fairy says...

hi keek

you can crit this if you want:

topic26085.html

good luck with becoming a instructor. :D
Formely known as Fairy_twinkletoes_13

Grab a pogo stick and come and....pogo with me!

Brains first, then hard work. That's the way to build a house- Eeyore

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:31 pm
Aedomir says...

I applied to be an instructor to both admins over a week ago... still no reply.

Good luck!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

220 Reviews

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:41 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

:D Thanks guys. =P I'll get to this stuff ASAP (*forces herself to take a break from DoaV*)

^_^ Keek!

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:00 am
BigBadBear says...

topic26290.html

Thank you so much! You're awesome!

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye