City Council Passes Motions Criticizing Marines Office

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:46 pm
Emerson says...

By ASAF SHALEV
Contributing Writer
Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Members of the Berkeley City Council showed their opposition to a Marine Corps recruiting office in Downtown Berkeley last night.

Council members supported the two resolutions-one supporting anti-war protests and the other criticizing military recruitment practices-citing opposition to the war in Iraq, deceptive recruitment practices and the right to protest.

"By taking a stand against recruitment we are protecting the health and safety of our youth," said PhoeBe sorgen, a member of the Berkeley Peace and Justice Commission. "I see the protest as taking a proud and courageous stand."

Code Pink, a national anti-war grassroots organization, will be granted a parking spot for their regular Wednesday afternoon protests and will not need to apply for a sound permit for the next six months, under one resolution.

The other resolution more directly criticizes the presence of the center in Berkeley. The city manager was directed to send a letter to the U.S. Marine Corps saying they are "uninvited and unwelcome intruders" in the city.

In addition, the city attorney has been directed to investigate whether the city's anti-discrimination laws can be enforced at the center, based on the military's consideration of sexual orientation in hiring.

Read more

Does this irritate anyone else. I believe in freedom of speech but I also believe in respecting your country. I also think it's real stupid they want to investigate into discrimination because of sexual orientation in hiring... well, yeah, it is the military. Women aren't allowed on the front--would you rather have them there. [Note: I may be wrong, haha. I do not claim to know everything, but from my knowledge, they are not allowed on the front.]

The marines, or the US military all together, is a structure needed in a country. I feel like we reach back into the time of Jackson and Hamilton and does a standing army hurt or help the union?

But then think, if your gov't upsets you, do you not have the right to over throw it...? I really hate politics.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:27 pm
Via says...

I thought it was "don't ask, don't tell"? *shrug*
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates