z

Young Writers Society

How many books do you read in a week/month?

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:37 pm
AstrangedbeaR says...

My curiosity once again. How many books do you read on average if not in a week then a month?
I read about three a week, mainly literature and textbooks...some related to uni, most unrelated and for personal interest.
My aim this year is to read at least double (ambitious) or at the very least, ten or twenty more than i read last year. Last year i calculated 50 books. Not a lot, but still.

Clare
x
*AstrangedbeaR*

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:58 pm
Emerson says...

Fifty is a lot if you consider there are about 52 weeks in a year. Last year I only read around thirty five books (I have a blog for it, haha) so I'm trying to reading one a week this year. So far I've read four, so I am on track, but this book I am reading now is really long.

You count text books? If I counted text books I would have read a lot more last year, haha. I count anything that I read from beginning to end of fiction or nonfiction, excerpt not counting. Text books as well, because that isn't exactly like reading a book?

I don't see how you could get through three a week, I don't have enough time at all, haha. I could only get through 4 because they were all under or around 300 pages. Anything longer than that and I really need to find time, and the worst part is, I find time to read by taking time out of working on my studies, so it's a careful balance...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:18 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

I read a ridiculous amount of books, probably about 5 a week on a good week and 3 a week on a bad week, so at most, probably about 20 a month or less, but over the summer I usually read more.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:22 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I read a lot-- an excess of being homeschooled, I guess. Anyway, for this year I'm guessing between twenty and thirty-five books a month and three to six a week give or take, depending on how often I go to the library.

Last year I read 85 books, give or take a few. :)
ohmeohmy

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:28 pm
tinny says...

I haven't read any books at all this year, unless you can count text books XD I've been far too busy with revision and stuff. I probably finish about 25-30? I don't know; I have a pretty short attention span so there are a lot in my room which are only half-read.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:28 pm
Emerson says...

How do you do that!?

I guess it all depends on the length of the books you are reading...? But really. I don't have that kind of time, and I read slow!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:39 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

Haha, I think I can just read really fast. I've been reading about a book a day since like, fifth grade, and if it's really good I just stay up late and read, read, read until I'm done. Right now, though, I'm reading The Amber Spyglass and that's taking me SO FREAKIN' LONG. I'm not sure why, but all of Phillip Pullman's books do take me a couple of days to read. It's kind of infuriating when I just want to start the other book I've checked out from the library.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

2058 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:41 pm
Emerson says...

How long are the books you read?

Some things I have around about 300 pages, but that things I really want to read are around 600, 700, or higher. I tend to save those for the summer. Right now, though, I'm reading a 600 book. I hope to get through half of it by Monday...

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:02 pm
Blue Fairy says...

I read about three books at a time so it's hard to say how many in a week. in a month i'd say about 6 so in a year thats about ermm....( tries to do simple math) 72.

I'm not sure though it's not strictly 6 in a month. depends what i'm doing.

I read books with a range of pages between 180 to 700.

:D

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:05 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Suzanne wrote:How long are the books you read?

Some things I have around about 300 pages, but that things I really want to read are around 600, 700, or higher. I tend to save those for the summer. Right now, though, I'm reading a 600 book. I hope to get through half of it by Monday...

Usually in a range of 150-700...anything else I restrict to Christmas and Pascha break, when I'm bored enough to get through them. :P But I'm a fast reader, and tend to read an entire 300 pager in one sitting.
ohmeohmy

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:21 am
chocoholic says...

I don't really count, and it usually depends on how school is and how much I'm writing.

Usually I read about five books a week, but I can easily do ten. I've never actually counted them, but I knwo that I'm a fast reader and I can read at least two books a days if I want.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:39 am
Sleeping Valor says...

Hmmm, on good weeks when I have time, I can read as much as 1.5 books a day (as in holidays when I have nothing else to do) and on normal days when I ignore homework I can read a 600 page book in the afternoon (does re-reading the same book 6 times due to awesomeness count?)

If I include animes, I take out at least 20 books (or 30, but the extra ten would be comics) from the library each visit...

I definitely read a lot, but maybe not as much now because of all the school work I have to do. Still, if I had the books (I keep running out of ones that really interest me) I can average one a day.

^_^
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:23 am
Meshugenah says...

Not enough! And as a lit major, I count half my textbooks :P

But really, I don't read enough. I used to breeze through a couple books a week until senior year hit, and now I'm way down. Plus, I read so many books at once, I have no idea how many I read a week! :P Usually I'll start three of four, and have them all finished by the end of the month, plus reading for school.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:24 pm
Firestarter says...

I never have any time. This year I aim to read about one week, and it's working out that way so far. So I'd say around one a week in university time. If I'm at home I read a book in a couple of days. So in the summer I might read two or three books a week, at other times it's usually only once a week or three or four a month.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:58 am
Kadie says...

I don't actually read that many books. I'm too cheap to go out and buy them, and going to the library is kinda out of the question since i kinda borrowed like 10 books and never returned them because i lost them when i moved house. Yeah.

I do, however, have a serious addiction to fiction press. Seriously, i must read like 5 pretty long stories a week.

That's how i spend most of my time, which i shouldn't be doing since i'm pretty much failing most of my courses, but what the hell. At least i'm doing something which will further my intelligence, rather than going out and partying all the time, which i don't do at all....

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble