z

Young Writers Society

Seperated-at-birth Twins get Married

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:05 am
Via says...

LONDON (AFP) - Twins who were separated at birth and adopted by different sets of parents later married each other without realising they were brother and sister, a peer has told the House of Lords.

David Alton, an independent, pro-life member of the Lords, said the brother and sister were granted an annulment after a high court judge ruled that the marriage had never validly existed.

The Catholic politician -- who discovered the case after talking to a judge -- used it to highlight perceived deficiencies in the government's proposed Human Embryology and Tissues Bill, which is currently going through parliament.

The bill is designed to make it easier for lesbian and gay couples to have children through assisted reproduction, recognising same-sex partners as legal parents of babies conceived through donated sperm, eggs or embryos.

But it contains no provision to require the identity of the donor to be disclosed, potentially meaning a child could not be told they were conceived by assisted reproduction.

Alton raised the case of the married twins -- who were born after IVF treatment -- during a debate on December 10, details of which only appeared on Friday.

Read the rest here.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:01 am
Emerson says...

That could make an interesting love--or even horror--story. That must have been really shocking to the couple. Wow.

Thanks Via :D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Pushca says...

I always sort of wondered about this happening. I can't imagine what finding something like that out would be like.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Cade says...

I feel like it would be a really adorable story if they were good friends or something, but once you get to a really involved relationship like that...it starts to get creepy.

Explains why they clicked, perhaps. :D
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:02 pm
Firestarter says...

Read this in the paper t'other day. Found it pretty terrible. It's the archetypal tragedy, really.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 196
Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Lady Sydney says...

It's sweet that they fell in love and all, but that would still kinda weird me out :shock: I don't know what I would do if I found out that my husband was actually my brother.

Yeesh. *shivers*
Formerly known as Silly Sydstix... as well as Aquarius Angel.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Aedomir says...

Talk about incest! Eww... that's freaky, I should read the papares more often :?

Just imagine that. Its a cool idea for a novel, it reminds me of star wars!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:14 pm
Rei says...

I think that is a very good reason for keeping twins together when they adopt whenever possible. It reminds me of a time someone told me that my brother and I would make a goos couple before she knew he was my twin.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:17 pm
idle muse says...

I feel so sorry for that couple. It must be so humiliating and confusing to find something like that out. And the odds of it happening are so ridiculously small as well.

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:10 pm
Adnamarine says...

This is just disturbing and creepy! What a horrible thing to find out! I wonder how long they were married... yuck. I heard this in the news ages ago and it's just... I'm not faulting them or anything, obviously, because they didn't know, but it's pretty disgusting to think about.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:28 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

Talk about incest! Eww... that's freaky,

EEEEEWWWW!! Id be soooo grossed out after that, I wouldn't want to see a guy in decades.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain