z

Young Writers Society

British Police learn German to talk to dogs

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:29 pm
Teague says...

LONDON (AFP) - British police dog handlers are learning to give orders to their animals in German after bosses decided to import Alsatians because of a shortage of suitable animals here, media reports said Friday.

(Advertisement)
A trial of the German dogs by Derbyshire Police in east central England has been deemed a success, prompting 16 other forces to recruit the canines at 2,000 pounds (2,600 euros, 3,900 dollars) each.

But the imports cannot understand commands in English, the Daily Telegraph said. "If you say, 'let go' in English, they just look at you like you are crazy," one dog handler told the newspaper.

Handlers have had to learn a series of orders in German, including "sitz" (sit), "platz" (down), "aus" (let go), "holen" (fetch) and "bissen" (bite).

A Derbyshire Police spokeswoman told the Press Association news agency said they were attempting to get the dogs to respond to English.

"We are repeating the German commands in English so they are becoming bilingual," she added.

Police have opted for German Alsatians as they are deemed to be more efficient and obedient than those bred in Britain because of a strict breeding regime.

Source

Lol, I dunno the significance of it, but I found it amusing. Bilingual dogs. Can we teach them to meow next? :lol:

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:14 am
Cade says...

I think my friend's dog is nearly bilingual. He's a Russian doggy, so she usually gives him commands in Russian, but he knows some English, I think. The dog is probably smarter than I am. :lol:
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:19 am
Emerson says...

That's not too uncommon... my grandfather had a dog who was trained as a policy dog but didn't graduate completely for what ever reason, and she responded to only German commands. It's not that odd if you think about it. I don't think animals understand the language, they probably cannot comprehend the meanings of the words but they can associate the sounds with what ever thing they have been taught to or they expect.
Not that I know what I am talking about. :lol:
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:43 am
Griffinkeeper says...

It isn't unusual for police dogs to be trained in another language. They actually do it on purpose. The reasoning behind it is actually rather simple. If the dog responds to English commands, then it could be called off by an English speaker. By having it trained in another dialect, the only person that could call off the dog would be his handler.

That's the theory anyway.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
— James R. Cook