z

Young Writers Society

Man Cuts off his Own Hand and then Microwaves it

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 am
scotty.knows says...

HAYDEN, Idaho - A man who believed he bore the "mark of the beast" used a circular saw to cut off one hand, then he cooked it in the microwave and called 911, authorities said.

The man, in his mid-20s, was calm when Kootenai County sheriff's deputies arrived Saturday in this northern Idaho town. He was in protective custody in the mental health unit of Kootenai Medical Center.

"It had been somewhat cooked by the time the deputy arrived," sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said. "He put a tourniquet on his arm before, so he didn't bleed to death. That kind of mental illness is just sad."

It was not immediately clear whether the man has a history of mental illness. Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Johnson would not say whether an attempt was made to reattach the hand, citing patient confidentiality.

The Book of Revelation in the New Testament contains a passage in which an angel is quoted as saying: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink the wine of God's fury."

The book of Matthew also contains the passage: "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

Wolfinger said he didn't know which hand was amputated.

Look at the kind of people we have to put up with in Idaho. I mean, I know this guy's niece and nephew.

What am I supposed to say to them next time I see them?

"Howdy guys, what's up? Hey, I saw your uncle on the news last night, pretty crazy stuff, right?"

Seriously, though. I think that guy shouldn't have read his Bible so much.
'Merikuh!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:34 am
Emerson says...

You know his relation's? That's a bit bothersome.

It isn't about reading the bible too much. It's more about just going insane.

Honestly, things like this fascinate me, haha. But I'm easily fascinated by the morbid.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

130 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:03 am
scotty.knows says...

I know it was more about his going insane, I just think that insane people shouldn't read so much or they'll do stupid things like cut their hand off...

Crazy people aren't capable of understanding verses in Matthew 6 where Jesus is just using hyperbole to get the better of the Pharisees.

*Is a Bible-nerd*
'Merikuh!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 am
Emerson says...

Yes, but in a way, isn't a metaphor just a form of being psychotic? We're imagining one thing as being another.... hehehe. Although, hyperbole is hard to understand if you aren't mentally sound.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:07 am
BigBadBear says...

Grooooosss!

Yep. That's pretty much all I have to say.

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:49 am
chocoholic says...

That is so weird.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:14 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

So... the Bible said to microwave his hand as well?

He needs help.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

130 Reviews

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
scotty.knows says...

The reason he microwaved his hand was so that the doctors couldn't re-attach it. It's quite possible to do so, with the wonders of modern medicine, and he must have thought ahead.

Poor guy.
'Merikuh!

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:36 am
GingerLizzy says...

Oh my...

Okay, I kind of understand the fact that he had some mental problems. But, why if he though that he had the mark of the beast on his hand did he cut it off and then put it in the microwave?

How strange.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:42 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Your question was already answered by the others.

Well, I have nothing against reading the bible. It's reading a metaphor when you have a mental illness that can turn out bad. He was likely reading both of the passages mentioned. Shame that things like this happen.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Elizabeth says...

I love how people think up titles.
My foster mother would possibly do the same thing if her hand decided to depict that mark...

Wow... I hope his family's OK now... I guess...
I've never known one to cut their hand off - I'm quite agonistic... We all are in Minnesota.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:02 am
hekategirl says...

:shock: How lovely.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:52 am
aestar101 says...

EWWWWW :smt019
Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose. - Evan Esar
Like my opinions a lot? Let me critique you. topic29146.html

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:12 pm
idle muse says...

Note to self: religion=creepy

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality