z

Young Writers Society

Wish me luck!

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:33 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

This is my first semester in drama and we're auditioning for parts in our play, Flowers for Algernon. I haven't tried out for anything since 5th grade, so I'm really nervous and really excited at the same time. I auditioned today, and a couple people told me I did really well, so that's good. But still, I'm a new student and I tried out for one of the lead roles, so I'm not sure how it'll go.

Anyway, all that to say wish me luck, and any acting tips from fellow thespians out there would be much appreciated!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:04 pm
Rydia says...

Good luck, I hope you get the part! And the best advice I can give you is to:

One: Avoid nerves, get friends to practice lines with you and practice being in character. If nothing else, it's lots of fun.

Two: Do not try to sneak a script onto the set for a friend who is freaking out about her lines, especially if you're the fourth person to speak in the entire play. Lol.

Three: Have a flask of water off set so that you can have a drink if your throat is dry or starting to hurt.

Four: Do not let others do your make-up for you unless you trust them and know they wont use too much, too little or the wrong colours.

Five: Probably obvious and already drilled into you but don't turn your back to the audience unless it's for a specific, dramatic effect. Try to make sure they always have a side or front view, preferably side so that it looks more natural.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:42 pm
Leja says...

Good luck! *hands bouquet of flowers*

241 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:11 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

*gasp*
I just found out that our drama teacher really wants my bf to play the lead! so now i have to get the lead female role because i refuse to let my best friend kiss him on stage! lol.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 am
LowKey says...

lol

Good luck! I hope you get the lead female. That would be really awesome if you did. :D
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:05 pm
Twit says...

Have you got it? Do you get to kiss him? :roll:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:00 am
Firestarter says...

Flowers for Algernon is a great book and I imagine a great play to act in. Is a very difficult lead male role anyway, what with the changing in intelligence and all.

I have no acting tips, but good luck! Hope you get the part you want.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

241 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:14 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

We have one more day of auditioning. Basically, the try-out process is this: Pick a scene and read with as much expression as you can possibly muster. Be loud. Be enthusiastic. Read as often as possible.

So far I've read three times in three days: once for the part I wanted (which was no good because our teacher didn't hear me); once for Charlie's mother (senile, disturbed and angry) and he really liked it - i saw the notes he wrote: "Got my attention! Could do well for Charlie's mother." The other one I auditioned for today was the graduate assistant, who works with Charlie a lot, and I think I did well for that one too.

Anyway, tomorrow's our last day of auditioning, and I plan to try out for Alice again. I'll be louder this time and hopefully that will help, because Flowers for Algernon is such an emotional book that I have no problem sobbing while shouting "I'm trying to pretend I don't care that you exist!" lol.

I don't know if my boyfriend got the part yet, but he's amazing. Seriously, I didn't know he could act that well. When he's in genius-mode, he's angry and volatile just like Charlie. When he's still mentally disabled, at the beginning and end of the book, his voice was so realistic I was seriously concerned for a moment - it was like, "Are you feeling alright?" I hope he gets the part, even if I'm not casted as Alice lol.

Thank you guys for your encouragement and your tips! It's nice to be able to rant about this lol. I don't think I've wanted something so bad for years. :oops:

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:35 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Aw. Luck luck luck! I really hope you get it.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

241 Reviews

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:02 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Well, the verdict has been cast (sort of) and I begged and begged my teacher to tell me today what's going on, and....I didn't get the part of Alice. BUT my boyfriend didn't get the part of Charlie either, hehe, so I don't have to worry about stage-kissing any more.

I tried tried TRIED to get him to tell me what MY part in the play is (I was assured that I do have a part) but he wouldn't tell me. So now I have to wait for the cast list on Monday like everyone else. *mopes*

Now I really hope I got the graduate student. That was my second-favorite character. :D

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France