z

Young Writers Society

Beginning of Genocide in Kenya

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:27 pm
Via says...

Turmoil Grows in Kenya with more than 100 dead.

NAIROBI, Kenya — The post-election turbulence continued to spread in Kenya on Monday as a curfew was imposed in Kisumu, the nation’s third-largest city; ethnic fighting intensified; and more than 100 people were killed.

A knot of rage seems to be moving across the country, from the slums of Nairobi, the capital, to the cities along the Indian Ocean to usually tranquil towns on the savanna. Many people are furious that Kenya’s president, Mwai Kibaki, was declared the winner on Sunday of the country’s most fiercely fought election, despite widespread evidence of ballot-rigging.

After three days of rioting, some streets in Nairobi are beginning to look like war zones, with trucks of soldiers rumbling through a wasteland of burned cars and abandoned homes, their tires crunching over broken glass. Gangs of young men have built roadblocks between the neighborhoods of the Kikuyus, Mr. Kibaki’s tribe, and those of the Luos, the tribe of Raila Odinga, the top opposition leader, who narrowly lost the election. The nomad’s land between them is often a single lane of potholed asphalt, patrolled by thugs with huge rocks in their hands.

The election has uncorked dangerous resentment toward Kikuyus, the privileged ethnic group of Kenya, who have dominated business and politics since independence in 1963. In some areas, witnesses said that mobs were stopping cars, pulling out passengers and demanding identification cards to determine whether they were Kikuyu (one can often tell by the name). If so, they were killed.

On Monday, Agence France-Presse reported that six Kikuyu people were hacked to death in Mombasa, on Kenya’s eastern coast.

Read the rest of it here.

=/
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:14 pm
MadHatter says...

It's sad. It's so sad how much evil is in our world right now. Bhutto getting assassinated, terrorism, and now this. My god, there so little hope left for our world.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red