z

Young Writers Society

My Encounters with the Theremin

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:32 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Day 5 of Theremin Ownership:

So today I decided that I would document my theremin progress by making a video about every two weeks or so of me just...doing stuff with the theremin.

I have had a theremin for about 5 days now (got it for Christmas), and this is what I'm able to do so far from looking at the DVD for a bit and experimenting. It's fairly atrocious, but I did it...FOR SCIENCE.

In this I play the chorus of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" twice. You'll notice I use two different 'methods' of fingering for each one. If I said I did it on purpose it would be a lie. Lulz. I also have some wonky glissando placement as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZPMVF8Vug

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Floydian42 says...

Man, those things are awesome! I've been working with creating an Ondes Martenot from scratch, which is essentially the same thing, just played differently. But man, what a sound!
"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of one's own mind" Ralph Waldo Emerson

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 pm
MadHatter says...

A quick question...what in Sam Heck is a theremin?!? I'm asuming it's a musical instrument of some kind. Please clue me in.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:39 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

MadHatter wrote:A quick question...what in Sam Heck is a theremin?!? I'm asuming it's a musical instrument of some kind. Please clue me in.

Same here. Sounds to me like some sort of drug. Some clarification, please?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:30 pm
MadHatter says...

Amazing! That's just what I was thinking. Is it some sort of medicine?
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

Random avatar

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:13 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Perhaps searching theremin on youtube would clue you in.

Or even perhaps...Clicking the link in my post! :O *gasp*

79 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:16 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Doctor Kitty wrote:Perhaps searching theremin on youtube would clue you in.

Or even perhaps...Clicking the link in my post! :O *gasp*

Ahh... *slaps self*
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:21 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Heehee. :D The theremin is fairly obscure, I must admit.

I'm still not good at playing it. It's one of the hardest instruments to master.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 pm
tinny says...

That is one seriously funky looking instrument. I don't see how you play it, it looked like you were moving your hand over nothing, which added to its funk-ness.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

79 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

little tin fish wrote:That is one seriously funky looking instrument. I don't see how you play it, it looked like you were moving your hand over nothing, which added to its funk-ness.

I think, basically, you are moving your hand over nothing, which is a reason, I should imagine for its difficulty to master.

Still, you were very good. How long have you had it now?

~Stewie Griffin

“I'd much rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea.”
— Carrie Bradshaw