z

Young Writers Society

Younger Readers' Books

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:40 pm
View Likes
norris_redford says...

Does anyone else here also enjoy books that are for readers younger than you?

I happen to love the A Series of Unfortunate Events collection, as well as The Edge Chronicles.

If you want a good, entertaining read, I would check into those. Usually I read fairly long novels, and it's good to take a break once in a while.
Non omnis moriar.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:53 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

A series of Unfortunate Events is good, although I've only read the first two. I'm going to read the third one before I go see the movie, though!
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:26 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I read the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series and the Charlie Bone books, both of which are really good and are intended for the 9-12 age range. The Guardians of Ga'Hoole is a fantasy kinda like Redwall with owls. The books are pretty short. The Charlie Bone books are similar to Harry Potter books in some ways, but Charlie Bone books are shorter and hold my attention better because there isn't a whole lot of long-winded explanations and side trips like in Harry Potter.

13 Reviews

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:36 pm
norris_redford says...

I tried to read Charlie Bone and couldn't. I thought it was too like Harry Potter, and it wasn't detailed enough for me. It was okay, but not really my sort of thing.

Redwall is good though.
Non omnis moriar.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:05 am
dele24 says...

Perra wrote:A series of Unfortunate Events is good, although I've only read the first two. I'm going to read the third one before I go see the movie, though!

Theres a movie of the series of unfortunate events? I must go see it, though it may not have come to NZ yet. I really like reading those books and I think I've read the first eleven, though they can get quite annoying how he draws it out so much and that I still have to wait to find out what happens in the end and who is still alive after the fire and everything. I hope the end comes out soon, before I loose interest in them or someting like that.

13 Reviews

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:13 am
View Likes
norris_redford says...

He draws them out?

I didn't think so. I sort of like the way he has the books set up.

The movie isn't out in the US until the 17th of Decemeber, but you'll probably get it a little later.

Looks pretty cool. Hope it lives up to the books.
Non omnis moriar.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:01 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

I read the first five (I think) of those books, but than they just got... not boring... but they just began to seem like something someone would write to earn money, not because they like writing. I may be wrong, but that's how it seemed to me. I would have continued reading them, but I began to think they would just go on forever in the same never ending switch from gardian to gardian, all the while being chased by that count guy. Have they changed since book five? Because if they have, I'll take that back.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:03 pm
dele24 says...

Ok maybe saying he draws them out is not quite the right wording, but I've read at least eleven of the books, at the end of each book they seem to get so close but not suceed, and like Éloeré said there seems to be no end in sight (altohugh I know there is, eventually, I just don't know when thats coming). It's not as though I don't like the books and I'll keep on reading them but it seems like he'll write more books than are actually needed to get more money or something like that. It just seems a little OTT with those books.

BTW they have changed quite a bit since book five though somethings seem to never change with those books.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:55 pm
View Likes
Skye says...

I know Lemony Snicket is only writing up to book # 13 (get it? unlucky thirteen?) The movies don't look too good though, Count Olaf is all wrong.
I myself find the books extremely amusing.
And the Edge Chronicles? They're on my fave books list! (Go Twig! Woot!)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:15 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Yeah, I'm not sure about the movie.. Jim Carrey as Olaf.. not scary enough. Too comical.

I love the series though. And I know what you mean about the series being drawn out! I want to know what.. Gah, I can't remember the letters! But I wanna know what they stand for.. I've only read to book 8 I think.. Have they saved the twins (er.. triplets lol) yet? :?
Love and Light

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:59 am
View Likes
WinterGrimm says...

I've actually been taking a Young Adult Lit class and there are several books I found that are really good that can be found in your local Teen Literature section.
Stop Pretending by Sonya Somes
Speak by Laura Halse Anderson
Whale Talk by Christ Crutcher
Zel by Donna Jo Napoli
Darkangel / A Gathering of Gergoyles/ and A Pearl of the Soul of the World by Meredith Ann Pierce
Waifs and Strays by Charles de Lint (my favorite of these by far!!)
Fair Wether by Richard Peck
and The Confessions of Gerogia Nicholson Series by Louise Rennison (The first book is Called Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snoggings)
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:48 pm
View Likes
Chevy says...

I agree with Crysi...what she/he said about Jim Carrey.
I think the best children's book I've ever read has been this book called "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?" I know the entire book by heart! It's kind of a sensless books with blue horses and purple cats but i love this book and ive read it atleast 45 times. i also love the "I Spy" series...my sister and i used to sit up for hours at a time reading those books over and over trying to find the thimbles and buttons on those big colorful pagfes filled with junk...i loved those books.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

13 Reviews

Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:22 pm
View Likes
norris_redford says...

I have to agree about the Jim Carrey thing, I don't think he should have been used as Count Olaf either, but the movie itself looks alright.

I'm only on book three, so I don't know if they change course.

And, yes, there is only going to be 13 books. With 13 chapters each.

:D

Go Twig indeed. He's just so cool. Hah, glad someone else here has read The Edge as well.
Non omnis moriar.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:53 pm
View Likes
Tessitore says...

I was afraid of reading "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (don't have time for bad fiction anymore), but now that I've set myself to go see the movie, I have to, whether before or after... not sure. I always try to read before, but at the moment I'm in the middle of another book, so...

"Blood and Chocolate" - by Annette Curtais Klause. Read. Now.

And "A Raging Quiet" by Lee Jordan... along with her book "Secret Sacrament".

Yes, once in a while I raid the "Young Adult" section at my local library.

Not so much now, but I can once in a while be found cackling madly over random descriptions and such...

Oh... "Godless" by Pete Hautman and... "Abarat" by Clive Barker and "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine (old favorite of mine). And "Shadow Club" by Neal Shusterman wasn't all that bad either.

... yes, well, they're all pretty good.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:00 pm
View Likes
WinterGrimm says...

In Waifs and Strays there's a vampire story that's one of the best short stories in the collection. Its about a teen vampire names Appolina who is sort of a feminist avenger (hunts rapists, women killers, pedofiles etc and feeds off them). She even makes references to Buffy saying that she's a little uneasy around "blonde cheerleader" types.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper