z

Young Writers Society

The Government now Decide your name (Italy

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:07 pm
deleted6 says...

ROME (Reuters) - An Italian court has ruled that a couple could not name their son "Friday" and ordered that he instead be called Gregory after the saint whose feast day he was born on.
(Advertisement)

"I think it is ridiculous they even opened a case about it," the family's lawyer, Paola Rossi, told Reuters by telephone from the northern city of Genoa on Tuesday.

Friday/Gregory Germano was born in Genoa 15 months ago. The parents registered him as Friday in the city hall and a priest even baptised him as Friday -- unusual in Italy since many priests insist that first names be of Christian origin.

"We named him Friday because we like the sound of the name. Even if it would have been a girl, we would have named her Friday," the boy's mother, Mara Germano, told Reuters.

When the boy was about five months old, a city hall clerk brought the odd name to the attention of a tribunal, which informed the couple of an administrative norm which bars parents from giving "ridiculous or shameful" first names to children.

The tribunal said it was protecting the child from being the butt of jokes and added that it believed the name would hinder him from developing "serene interpersonal relationships".

Read on

Personally I feel this is pretty ridiculous. The world got plenty of Obscure names we've people named after plants and ain't the girl in the Addams Family called 'Wednesday'. This is beyond a joke and if I was boy I would be pretty pissed off I have to sign name as not name I was given. What a waste of time!
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:27 pm
Nate says...

lol. But that's what you get when you start allowing the government to intrude into personal lives.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:44 pm
Sureal says...

I wish I had a more origional name - Jonathan is really rather boring, in my opinion.

And kids can find new and interesting ways to mock any name, not just unusual. Heck, they have cliched and unorigional ways to mock some names anyway. (Seriously, the number of times I've heard a 'rubber' joke ... look, it was almost funny the first time, but by the fiftieth telling of the joke it's almost like listening to Paolini trying to insult me.)
I wrote the above just for you.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:02 pm
Via says...

Seriously. We have people named Seven, and July....why not Friday? Has no one seen the Addams family? Wednesday?

Haha. This is kind of funny, but it makes me like Italy a lot less, too.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:44 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

What, so we can have Apple and Peaches, but no days of the week?

*pours scorn on government decisions*
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:07 am
Loose says...

In Italy, more often than not you're named after someone anyway, usually a grandparent, so there isn't much option regardless to what the government say.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:12 pm
MadHatter says...

I feel the government has no real right to intrude so far into your personal life. A name is personal and not something you are "assigned". It's sinful really. I'm really disgusted right now. And Friday isn't even that bad.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:30 am
Meep says...

On one hand, it's silly for the government to pick the child's name (for religious reasons, no less!). It isn't really something they should be concerned about, and it's an invasion of privacy, but ...

On the other, Italy isn't the only country that has name guidelines. I believe in Germany children need to be named from a specific (though exceptionally long) list of names, so nothing weird. I think it's ridiculous when people give their kids names like "Apple" or whatever else.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:10 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Meep wrote:I think it's ridiculous when people give their kids names like "Apple" or whatever else.

Peaches, Pixie - they're all ridiculous. And the worst has to be what Jordan/Katie Price has just named her latest baby daughter - Princess Tiáamii. I mean, there has to be a limit, surely? Do some people want their children to go through a life of constant name abuse?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

If you receive a bribe, you must report it in your income.
— John Oliver