z

Young Writers Society

Man kills wife, shoots daughter outside church (updated)

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:47 am
Teague says...

A man killed his estranged wife and shot his 4-year-old daughter in the knee Wednesday morning after opening fire in a church parking lot.

Police were searching for the suspect, Daniel Paulo Parasca, Wednesday night.

About 9 a.m., Parasca, 37, pulled up next to his wife's black Nissan SUV in the parking lot of Cathedral Christian Center, near 51st Avenue and Bell Road, and fired several shots, Detective Stacie Derge of the Phoenix Police Department said.

Gabriela Parasca, 30, was dropping the couple's two children at the Cathedral Christian Academy, a school operated by the church, when she was shot. When officers arrived on scene, she was not breathing and was pronounced dead a short time later at a local hospital.

The girl's injuries were non-life threatening. Her 3-year-old brother was not injured.

Source

UPDATE:

The man who police say shot dead his estranged wife and wounded his 4-year-old daughter Wednesday morning committed suicide that night in a concrete drainage tunnel near his Glendale home after spending the afternoon drinking at a friend's house.

Daniel Paulo Parasca, 37, ended a violent day with a self-inflicted gunshot wound - fewer than 13 hours after killing Gabriela Parasca, 30, and wounding the couple's daughter in a Phoenix church parking lot, police said.

The friend called police at around 7 p.m. Wednesday and told them Daniel Parasca had been at his house since 1 p.m. The friend said he had been unaware of the shooting until Parasca asked for a ride to his home near Loop 101 and 35th Avenue because he had been drinking, but asked him to keep driving when they saw the police and media outside the house.

Source

This literally happened a mile up the road from my house. I drive by that church on a daily basis when I'm at my mum's. In fact, I drove by this morning about 2 hours before the shooting. My family and I are fine, though.

Here's a horribly amusing tidbit not included in the story: When the police called the guy to tell him that his wife was dead, he said, "Yeah, I know. I killed her."

Oh, and he lived up the street from my school. Comforting, eh?

Anyway, I feel so bad for the kids. Nothing's ever that bad in a relationship to kill the other. Especially with the children right there. No matter how young you are, that's an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

I'm thinking about visiting the memorial that's growing outside the church. It's just... something this close to home is kind of a reality check.
Last edited by Teague on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:49 am
Snoink says...

:(

This is so not cool.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:55 am
chocoholic says...

That's horrible! I hope the guy is found and gets a life sentence, it's sick.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:07 am
bubblewrapped says...

:( That's horrible!
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:10 pm
Emerson says...

eek. That is sad..
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:11 pm
Via says...

The worst part about it is now the kids are going to have to go into the system. If they ever get adopted, it will probably be separately, and they will have no real family left. :(
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:06 pm
Alteran says...

Not to mention being screwed up because their dad is a flippin idiot. Even on a four-year-old, getting shot tends to be a lasting memory.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:22 pm
Gwenevire says...

Wo!
What? HE admitted it? Gees this dude is on something.
I feel sorry for his family. And you!
That must be horrifying to hear when you live one block away from him.
I don't know what to say but... Thats not cool.

-I hope your feeling okay...
Genevieve

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:31 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Praying for the family and yours, Razor. :(
ohmeohmy

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red