Young Writers Society

Terry Pratchett Diagnosed with Alzheimer's :(

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:47 pm
Sureal says...

AN EMBUGGERANCE

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :o)

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

-- http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html
I wrote the above just for you.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:56 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

But... What a waste. And such a horrible disease, as well. At least he's not being all doom and gloom about it, though. He's still got that brilliant Pratchett humour, as demonstrated by his 'PS' - brought a smile to my face XD

But, yeah. What a shame.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:26 pm
Twit says...

Sad. How old is he?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:53 pm
gyrfalcon says...

No way! :( Totally just rocked a little bit of my world there...
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Myth says...

That is so sad. I love his books!
.: ₪ :.

'...'

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:20 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

ئ twit ئ wrote:Sad. How old is he?

There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:03 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Well, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:04 pm
Crysi says...

Wow. That's young for that disease...

My grandfather has it, and he's in the later stages of it. It's very, very tough. But at least they caught it early -- perhaps there will be a cure for it soon. I know they've made definite progress in that area.
Love and Light

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:02 pm
Rydia says...

That's terrible.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

People say I love you all the time - when they say, ‘take an umbrella, it’s raining,’ or ‘hurry back,’ or even ‘watch out, you’ll break your neck.’ There are hundreds of ways of wording it - you just have to listen for it, my dear.
— John Patrick, The Curious Savage