15%
None of the Above
5%

Total votes : 20

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:38 am
Tessitore says...

I have to go with Harry Potter AND Artemis Fowl (only the first one, thanks), AND Lord of the Rings. Though I've only read Hobbit and 3/4 of the way through FOTR, they're good. I just get distracted easily. I am making it my new years goal to read the rest of the books.

...Anyway, I owe it to the man. He died on my birthday.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:24 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

...I hate HP...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Tessitore says...

Wow. I've never met anyone who's read all the books and hated them. Have you?
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

418 Reviews

Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:23 pm

I have read every Harry Potter but 2 and 4. I simply detest those books, well, not DETEST you know but, I do not like them.

I love LotR though, that is why I created this thread...

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:35 pm
iced.cappuchino says...

I'll admit it, I read LotR, but it didn't... strike anything with me.

The story was interesting, it was wonderfully crafted, it was a MATSERPIECE. I loved it. But... it was... really cold. I can't connect with the characters, I don't feel anything for them. It felt like I was reading a history book, although it was a really interesting one.

Tolkien's style of writing is beautiful. Very flourish and descriptive, but I also find it cold and factual. I don't remember any actual delving under the characters' skin, because there was simply too many of them.

Different story for The Hobbit though. I LOVED LOVED LOVED that book. Who wouldn't, with such a cute little thing as hobbitses? ^^;

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:10 pm
Elelel says...

That's the only thing that stops me from saying LotR was perfect... but you do get a sense of whats going on inside the characters all the same.

EBM, just interested, but why did you put each LotR book separate on the poll? They're all part of the same story arn't they? So wouldn't they come under the same heading?
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:21 pm
Perra says...

I think he did it because they're separate books. Kinda....

I have a favorite LotR movie- Return of the King. But I only got halfway through FotR. All those songs and poems got tiring, and those things the others said also made me stop. Of course, reading it for a book report didn't help it any.

I think I heard that Tolkien wrote LotR to be a myth for England, and made it like a history for that purpose.

Why do you hate Harry Potter, EBM?
HP is great! :mrgreen: I've never read Artemis Fowl, though.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

418 Reviews

Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:34 am

Yes, they are different books, and because there wasnt really anything else to put. Except maybe the Adventures of Tom Bombadil or something.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:41 am
hawk says...

I did read it (partially) but is The Unfinished Tales the Silmarillion?

I read the Lord of the Rings before the Hobbit, and found the Hobbit snug and neat and perfect for rainy days and hot milo. I guess you read them for different pleasures. I read Lord of the Rings for its epic quality, and the Hobbit because it was a beautifully constructed fantasy novel that did not requre two other books pro.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:00 pm
niteowl says...

I liked the LOTR stories, but I found the description very boring, I kept falling asleep, especially in the Helm's Deep ch. (two towers) the Siege of Gondor ch. (ROTK) and the Mount Doom ch. (ROTK), which should be the most exciting! I actually liked the ROTK movie the best, so I voted for that, even though I found the book kinda boring. Now that I think about it, Two Towers was better. Shelob was cool. Also, ROTK is the only one I ended up seeing in theaters since I wanted to read the books first. It took me a while.

I'd have to agree that he's describing it like a realistic war story, which is incredibly boring. Too many words+too small print=AH!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:50 pm
norris_redford says...

I am sorry, JRR Tolkien just never caught my attention. I tried so hard to get into him, and I just couldn't. Even I don't understand it. I loved the first movie, and I read all of LOTR, but I can't stand the books, and the 2nd and 3rd movies were boring for me as well. Grah.
Non omnis moriar.

418 Reviews

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:29 am

hawk wrote:I did read it (partially) but is The Unfinished Tales the Silmarillion?

No, the Unfinished Tales is a book about Tolkien's writings of the history of Middle-Earth, later published by his son Christopher Tolkien. Yes, they both are about the history of Middle-Earth, but the UT has stories about the Second Age too and the Land of the Orcs.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:57 pm
Skye says...

I love all Tolkein (though I voted for the Return of the King because that was my all-time fave), the first Artemis Fowl (though the second and third are readable), and all HP (they're getting worse as they go on though...the third was the absolute best). LOTR didn't strike me as "cold" as someone said, rather Unfinished Tales and the Silmarillion did. It was all just kind of...random...
But that's just my opinion.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:10 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*blinks* did someone say... TOLKIEN?! *grin widens on face*

I love LOTR. I have to admit, that the movies are alot more bearable then the books for me, but I have read all the books several times. And Return of the King was my favorite of the three. I just loved the Scouring of the Shire and Sam has some really really awesome lines ("Don't go where I can't follow", "Tell Capt. Shagrat that the Elf Warrior has come, and with his elf sword too", etc.).

Was anyone else completely astounded when Jackson 1) didn't put the Scouring of the Shire in the movies and 2) said that he didn't even LIKE that section of the book?
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:14 pm
Firestarter says...

Dusk, you sound like you should join the Middangeard usergroup. Once Zzap allows you in, you can chat about LOTR to your heart's content. Though I haven't seen him around recently!

The Scouring of the Shire is one of my favourite bits too. I have no idea why Peter Jackson doesn't like it. Strange man.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone